FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Mikie
 
Default WiFi Management

>Nothing. ifupdown uses the two "wpa-..." lines in "/etc/network/interfaces" to bring up wlan0.

Well then why does it work when I have the wifi adapter in during setup but not work when I add it after setup.


12.04 LTS with an Alfa AWUS036NHR



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default WiFi Management

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 17:29 +0000, Mikie wrote:
> >Nothing. ifupdown uses the two "wpa-..." lines in
> "/etc/network/interfaces" to bring up wlan0.
>
> Well then why does it work when I have the wifi adapter in during
> setup but not work when I add it after setup.

> 12.04 LTS with an Alfa AWUS036NHR

The driver may not have been installed; or there may be a conflict with
another driver that you need to manually blacklist. If you are seeing a
"wlan0" interface at all, then the driver is probably there... what
messages do you get when you run this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Does wlan0 appear when you run, say "iwlist scan"?

Can you compare a working system with your current system? If so, see
what network driver your wifi needs, and make sure that driver is loaded
and that no other driver is loaded that might conflict.

Try googling "Alfa AWUS036NHR linux driver".

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Mikie
 
Default WiFi Management

>The driver may not have been installed;
lsmod shows:
rtl8192cu
rtl8192c_common
rtlwifi

and I have:
cfg80211
mac80211

>or there may be a conflict with another driver that you need to manually blacklist.
how would I check?

>If you are seeing a "wlan0" interface at all, then the driver is probably there...
Yesterday I got some results with iwlist but the result is stuck and never changes.
The blue light never flashes with activity like in Windows.
It stays on always ... unlike when I boot Windows on this box.

>what messages do you get when you run this command:
>sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
* Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces
* Reconfiguring network interfaces...
RTNETLINK answers: No such process
Failed to bring up wlan0.

>Does wlan0 appear when you run, say "iwlist scan"?
today it reports:
wlan0 No scan results

>Can you compare a working system with your current system?
>If so, see what network driver your wifi needs, and make sure that driver is loaded and that no other driver is loaded that might conflict.
>Try googling "Alfa AWUS036NHR linux driver".
it's in the kernel already.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default WiFi Management

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 18:20 +0000, Mikie wrote:
> >The driver may not have been installed;
> lsmod shows:
> rtl8192cu
> rtl8192c_common
> rtlwifi

And are you sure that those are the drivers that your hardware needs? My
cursory googling suggests it is, one person wrote "The Alfa AWUS036H
uses a completely different driver (rtl8187) than does the AWUS036NHR
(rtl8192cu)."

...which seems to suggest that rtl8192cu is the right driver.

I want to stress here that I know nothing about your particular card,
I'm just making generic suggestions.

> > or there may be a conflict with another driver that you need to
> > manually blacklist.
> how would I check?

Google. Or see if any other wifi drivers are loaded and experimentally
unload them. If everything goes bad, just reboot. If everything comes
good, blacklist the driver(s) you have unloaded.

> >Does wlan0 appear when you run, say "iwlist scan"?
> today it reports:
> wlan0 No scan results

Then wlan0 does appear. Good - at least one driver has done enough to
make the interface visible.

Run "rfkill list". If it says anything is blocked, then you probably
have the wrong driver or a driver conflict. You can then try "rfkill
unblock all" and see what happens...

> >Try googling "Alfa AWUS036NHR linux driver".
> it's in the kernel already.

Good to hear. And did you try googling "Alfa AWUS036NHR linux driver"?

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org