FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Jay Ridgley
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

Folks,

I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other does NOT? The
only difference (I know of) between the two systems is ursa was an upgrade from
10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh install. Both are up to date. Is
kodiak missing a software package, if so which one?


WORKS -->

cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
#polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0
koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount /big_archive
[sudo] password for cdjsys:
cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala
koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704 960083040 2% /big_archive
cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a
Linux ursa 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cdjsys@ursa:/$

and

FAILS -->

cdjsys@kodiak:~$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
# entry for nfs:cdjsys on koala
koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive
[sudo] password for cdjsys:
mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported
cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a
Linux kodiak 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cdjsys@kodiak:~$


Thanks,
Jay
--


Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Sean Crosby
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

Hi Jay,
Make sure that the nfs-common package is installed on the failing machine
Sean

On 17 September 2012 13:40, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

Folks,



I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other does NOT? The only difference (I know of) between the two systems is ursa was an upgrade from 10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh install. Both are up to date. Is kodiak missing a software package, if so which one?




WORKS -->



cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs

#polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0

koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive *nfs * * rw,noauto,nolock * * * *0 0

cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount /big_archive

[sudo] password for cdjsys:

cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala

koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704 960083040 * 2% /big_archive

cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a

Linux ursa 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cdjsys@ursa:/$



and



FAILS -->



cdjsys@kodiak:~$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs

# entry for nfs:cdjsys on koala

koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive *nfs * * rw,noauto,nolock * * * *0 0

cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive

[sudo] password for cdjsys:

mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a

Linux kodiak 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cdjsys@kodiak:~$





Thanks,

Jay

--





Jay Ridgley

jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Registered Linux User ID - 9115

https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png

Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM
"Clinton Tinsley"
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

*



----- Original Message -----


From: Jay Ridgley


Sent: 09/17/12 07:40 AM


To: Ubuntu-users


Subject: NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?






Folks,

I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other does NOT? The
only difference (I know of) between the two systems is ursa was an upgrade from
10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh install. Both are up to date. Is
kodiak missing a software package, if so which one?

WORKS -->

cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
#polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0
koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount /big_archive
[sudo] password for cdjsys:
cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala
koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704 960083040 2% /big_archive
cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a
Linux ursa 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
cdjsys@ursa:/$

and

FAILS -->

cdjsys@kodiak:~$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
# entry for nfs:cdjsys on koala
koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive
[sudo] password for cdjsys:
mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported
cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a
Linux kodiak 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
cdjsys@kodiak:~$


You might try adding vers=3 to your mount options. I have seen this before with the newer NFS releases.


Clint





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Dave Howorth
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

Jay Ridgley wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other does
> NOT? The only difference (I know of) between the two systems is ursa was
> an upgrade from 10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh install.
> Both are up to date. Is kodiak missing a software package, if so which one?

Does mount -v show anything interesting?

What do the logs contain? For NFS and friends startup and for the mount.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

On Monday 17 September 2012 10:59:54 Clinton Tinsley did opine:

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Jay Ridgley
> Sent: 09/17/12 07:40 AM
> To: Ubuntu-users
> Subject: NFS Mount question - What are the required options in
> /etc/fstb?
>
> Folks, I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other
> does NOT? The only difference (I know of) between the two systems is
> ursa was an upgrade from 10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh
> install. Both are up to date. Is kodiak missing a software package, if
> so which one? WORKS --> cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
> #polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0 koala:/nfs/cdjsys
> /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0 cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount
> /big_archive [sudo] password for cdjsys: cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala
> koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704 960083040 2% /big_archive
> cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a Linux ursa 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri
> Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux cdjsys@ursa:/$ and
> FAILS --> cdjsys@kodiak:~$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs # entry for
> nfs:cdjsys on koala koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock
> 0 0 cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive [sudo] password for
> cdjsys: mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not
> supported cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a Linux kodiak 3.2.0-30-generic-pae
> #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> cdjsys@kodiak:~$ You might try adding vers=3 to your mount options. I
> have seen this before with the newer NFS releases. Clint

Do us all a favor and get rid of the GMX.com webmailer.

It is throwing away any and all punctuation you may have had on screen when
you hit send. The result on our screens is the unintelligible gibberish
above that only the most determined will try to wade through.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
Ask not for whom the Bell tolls, and you will pay only the station-to-
station
rate.
-- Howard Kandel

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Basil Chupin
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

On 18/09/12 01:04, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 17 September 2012 10:59:54 Clinton Tinsley did opine:


----- Original Message -----
From: Jay Ridgley
Sent: 09/17/12 07:40 AM
To: Ubuntu-users
Subject: NFS Mount question - What are the required options in
/etc/fstb?

Folks, I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the other
does NOT? The only difference (I know of) between the two systems is
ursa was an upgrade from 10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a fresh
install. Both are up to date. Is kodiak missing a software package, if
so which one? WORKS --> cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs
#polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0 koala:/nfs/cdjsys
/big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0 cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount
/big_archive [sudo] password for cdjsys: cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala
koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704 960083040 2% /big_archive
cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a Linux ursa 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri
Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux cdjsys@ursa:/$ and
FAILS --> cdjsys@kodiak:~$ cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs # entry for
nfs:cdjsys on koala koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock
0 0 cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive [sudo] password for
cdjsys: mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not
supported cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a Linux kodiak 3.2.0-30-generic-pae
#48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
cdjsys@kodiak:~$ You might try adding vers=3 to your mount options. I
have seen this before with the newer NFS releases. Clint

Do us all a favor and get rid of the GMX.com webmailer.

It is throwing away any and all punctuation you may have had on screen when
you hit send. The result on our screens is the unintelligible gibberish
above that only the most determined will try to wade through.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene


Nooooo.....you get rid of the rubbish mail client YOU are using and use
something intelligent like Thunderbird (and not Kmail which you normally
use but NOT for the above post) :-) .


There is nothing wrong with the formatting of the post by Clinton: all
quite properly formatted and clearly legible.


BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.1 & kernel 3.6.0 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor
16GB PC14900/1866MHz Quad Channel Corsair "Vengeance" RAM
Gigabyte AMD3+ m/board; Gigabyte nVidia GTX550Ti 1GB DDR5 GPU


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 PM
PleegWat
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 09/17/2012 05:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 18/09/12 01:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Do us all a favor and get rid of the GMX.com webmailer.
>>
>> It is throwing away any and all punctuation you may have had on
>> screen when you hit send. The result on our screens is the
>> unintelligible gibberish above that only the most determined will
>> try to wade through.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Cheers, Gene
>
> Nooooo.....you get rid of the rubbish mail client YOU are using and
> use something intelligent like Thunderbird (and not Kmail which you
> normally use but NOT for the above post) :-) .
>
> There is nothing wrong with the formatting of the post by Clinton:
> all quite properly formatted and clearly legible.
>
> BC
>

Nope, I get the exact same thing in thunderbird. The HTML version may
be fine but the text version is a mess.

PleegWat
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJQV0wDAAoJEAM6sLJjDJaMcJYH/iDWwgtSE1lCK5dwS8JFYQ6M
JrZ4PIclqtqnki/VV8lzlEJ2vkUtnYzdWMeS0hqWsCj2DD/SZmtMIaZlkVxB3X8+
GrTXRHOmQQ+WUpMIzgLGqhw1MaKjN3ns6Cji/1eQTaMlI+IdOIuAmeBq6rxKrG/o
oXojIaEWGVX+V1sRSChc7LOxWYsrZbqLmMvSq4eQbXn/Hoiq+oVz5frKJh9T8Gyv
ftTz8zq0UROulsBmfdIted4c6ww6pCs2TstC9xZ5fR6oYaygNq BaDzJWU1btoUp8
t47TZA8m2kV/t/aX2w/BM0VFBMw2kaNfWVD5vt+0sYkGmECq2Fm1DfsJiulA6MY=
=5zao
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Tom H
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM, PleegWat <pleegwat@telfort.nl> wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 05:43 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 18/09/12 01:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Do us all a favor and get rid of the GMX.com webmailer.
>>>
>>> It is throwing away any and all punctuation you may have had on
>>> screen when you hit send. The result on our screens is the
>>> unintelligible gibberish above that only the most determined will
>>> try to wade through.
>>
>> Nooooo.....you get rid of the rubbish mail client YOU are using and
>> use something intelligent like Thunderbird (and not Kmail which you
>> normally use but NOT for the above post) :-) .
>>
>> There is nothing wrong with the formatting of the post by Clinton:
>> all quite properly formatted and clearly legible.
>
> Nope, I get the exact same thing in thunderbird. The HTML version may
> be fine but the text version is a mess.

Exactly. Take a look at the archive:

Text version:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2012-September/263883.html

HTML version:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120917/8c6ed594/attachment.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

On Monday 17 September 2012 12:39:53 Basil Chupin did opine:

> On 18/09/12 01:04, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 17 September 2012 10:59:54 Clinton Tinsley did opine:
> >> ----- Original Message -----
> >> From: Jay Ridgley
> >> Sent: 09/17/12 07:40 AM
> >> To: Ubuntu-users
> >> Subject: NFS Mount question - What are the required options in
> >> /etc/fstb?
> >>
> >> Folks, I have an interesting question: Why does one work and the
> >> other
> >>
> >> does NOT? The only difference (I know of) between the two systems is
> >> ursa was an upgrade from 10.04.4LTS to 12.04.1LTS and kodiak is a
> >> fresh install. Both are up to date. Is kodiak missing a software
> >> package, if so which one? WORKS --> cdjsys@ursa:/$ cat /etc/fstab
> >> |grep nfs #polar:/archive /archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0
> >> koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
> >> cdjsys@ursa:/$ sudo mount /big_archive [sudo] password for cdjsys:
> >> cdjsys@ursa:/$ df |grep koala koala:/nfs/cdjsys 973391744 13308704
> >> 960083040 2% /big_archive cdjsys@ursa:/$ uname -a Linux ursa
> >> 3.2.0-30-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 16:54:40 UTC 2012 i686
> >> i686 i386 GNU/Linux cdjsys@ursa:/$ and FAILS --> cdjsys@kodiak:~$
> >> cat /etc/fstab |grep nfs # entry for nfs:cdjsys on koala
> >> koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0
> >> cdjsys@kodiak:~$ sudo mount /big_archive [sudo] password for cdjsys:
> >> mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not
> >> supported cdjsys@kodiak:~$ uname -a Linux kodiak
> >> 3.2.0-30-generic-pae #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 24 17:14:09 UTC 2012
> >> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux cdjsys@kodiak:~$ You might try adding
> >> vers=3 to your mount options. I have seen this before with the newer
> >> NFS releases. Clint
> >
> > Do us all a favor and get rid of the GMX.com webmailer.
> >
> > It is throwing away any and all punctuation you may have had on screen
> > when you hit send. The result on our screens is the unintelligible
> > gibberish above that only the most determined will try to wade
> > through.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Nooooo.....you get rid of the rubbish mail client YOU are using and use
> something intelligent like Thunderbird (and not Kmail which you normally
> use but NOT for the above post) :-) .
>
Ahh, but it was kmail, Basil. I have added a line in the rc that prevents
kmail from identifying itself, a security measure. I got the idea from a
t-bird related post describing how to do that to t-bird in the first place.

I will consider switching to T-Bird if and when I can make a maildir folder
with 2 clicks on a pulldown and typing its name into the box. The last
time I looked at it, 6 months back, there still was no obvious method to
create a new email folder so I could sort a newly joined email list's msgs
into their own folder.

I did, on my lappy, figure out how to import the kmail email corpus to
tbird about 3 years ago, but it was hours for only 3 months worth of emails
collected on the road, but to import the email corpus that spans 10 years &
several gigabytes as it exists here, is probably not practical.

> There is nothing wrong with the formatting of the post by Clinton: all
> quite properly formatted and clearly legible.

I have to enable html rendering here, which I can do on a per message
basis. kmail handles the detection well, provided it is properly mimetyped.
I went back, looked at the msg structure, clicked on the html portion, then
enabled html rendering and it looks ok, but the plain text I was presented
was the illegible bit I reposted.

kmail tries to follow the RFC's for this stuff so it can autodetect.

Failures are once, maybe twice a year. That is why it was so startling
that I objected. GMX.com, when stripping the html markups to make the plain
text version, has a broken stripper. It should substitute a real line feed
or 2 when the original poster formats it as paragraphs in html. It did
not. Nary a linefeed in the lot.

> BC

Cheers, Gene
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
Inspiration without perspiration is usually sterile.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Jim Byrnes
 
Default NFS Mount question - What are the required options in /etc/fstb?

On 09/17/2012 12:08 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:


<snip>


I will consider switching to T-Bird if and when I can make a maildir folder
with 2 clicks on a pulldown and typing its name into the box. The last
time I looked at it, 6 months back, there still was no obvious method to
create a new email folder so I could sort a newly joined email list's msgs
into their own folder.


Right click on which ever folder you want to create your new folder. If
you are putting it in the inbox select new folder, if you are putting it
in another folder selec new subfolder.


<snip>

Regards, Jim






--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org