FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2012, 02:12 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Authoring tool lyx is missing document classes

I used LaTex, and to a lesser extent lyx, when I was in grad school 10
years ago. I'm back to authoring, and would like to use them again.
I loaded up everything that seemed pertinent to lyx and tetex
(English) in the repos, but lyx comes up complaining it has no
article.cls to work with. It has none of the others, either.

So, the natural questions are:
- is lyx still supported?
- Is tetex kept current?
- Where do I find document classes?
- Where do I put them when I've found them?

Anybody here knop?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

programmer, n. an organism that transmutes caffeine into software.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Krzysztof Mitko
 
Default Authoring tool lyx is missing document classes

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012, at 04:12, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I used LaTex, and to a lesser extent lyx, when I was in grad school 10
> years ago. I'm back to authoring, and would like to use them again.
> I loaded up everything that seemed pertinent to lyx and tetex
> (English) in the repos, but lyx comes up complaining it has no
> article.cls to work with. It has none of the others, either.
>
> So, the natural questions are:
> - is lyx still supported?

I've never used lyx, but it looks like it is supported - at least
mailing list is active:
<http://www.lyx.org/MailingLists>

> - Is tetex kept current?

No, it's been abandoned since 2006. Try texlive instead.

> - Where do I find document classes?
> - Where do I put them when I've found them?

You'll find almost every latex class in the ubuntu repository (package
texlive-full is the complete distribution).

--
Z pozdrowieniami,
Krzysztof Mitko

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Authoring tool lyx is missing document classes

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Krzysztof Mitko <kmitko@mm.st> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012, at 04:12, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I used LaTex, and to a lesser extent lyx, when I was in grad school 10
>> years ago. I'm back to authoring, and would like to use them again.
>> I loaded up everything that seemed pertinent to lyx and tetex
>> (English) in the repos, but lyx comes up complaining it has no
>> article.cls to work with. It has none of the others, either.
>>
>> So, the natural questions are:
>> - is lyx still supported?
>
> I've never used lyx, but it looks like it is supported - at least
> mailing list is active:
> <http://www.lyx.org/MailingLists>
>
>> - Is tetex kept current?
>
> No, it's been abandoned since 2006. Try texlive instead.
>
>> - Where do I find document classes?
>> - Where do I put them when I've found them?
>
> You'll find almost every latex class in the ubuntu repository (package
> texlive-full is the complete distribution).
>
> --
> Z pozdrowieniami,
> Krzysztof Mitko

Then I'm baffled. I installed texlive and lyx. The lyx
Document->Settings->Document Class menu shows all sorts of classes,
all of them marked "unavailable".

Where are the class files? That is where can I get them, and where
should I put them? Or is there something else blocking this?


--
Kevin O'Gorman

programmer, n. an organism that transmutes caffeine into software.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Krzysztof Mitko
 
Default Authoring tool lyx is missing document classes

W dniu 17.09.2012 17:12, Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Krzysztof Mitko <kmitko@mm.st> wrote:
>> You'll find almost every latex class in the ubuntu repository (package
>> texlive-full is the complete distribution).
>
> Then I'm baffled. I installed texlive and lyx. The lyx
> Document->Settings->Document Class menu shows all sorts of classes,
> all of them marked "unavailable".
>
> Where are the class files? That is where can I get them, and where
> should I put them? Or is there something else blocking this?

I installed lyx and it had all the classes just after first run. I am
not sure why they're not available on your system. Just a guess - maybe
you should run Tools->Reconfigure to let lyx search for a latex packages?

--
Best regards,
Krzysztof Mitko

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default Authoring tool lyx is missing document classes

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Krzysztof Mitko <kmitko@mm.st> wrote:
> W dniu 17.09.2012 17:12, Kevin O'Gorman pisze:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Krzysztof Mitko <kmitko@mm.st> wrote:
>>> You'll find almost every latex class in the ubuntu repository (package
>>> texlive-full is the complete distribution).
>>
>> Then I'm baffled. I installed texlive and lyx. The lyx
>> Document->Settings->Document Class menu shows all sorts of classes,
>> all of them marked "unavailable".
>>
>> Where are the class files? That is where can I get them, and where
>> should I put them? Or is there something else blocking this?
>
> I installed lyx and it had all the classes just after first run. I am
> not sure why they're not available on your system. Just a guess - maybe
> you should run Tools->Reconfigure to let lyx search for a latex packages?
>

Tools -> Reconfigure goes through a great many things, almost all of
them annotated with "no". At the end, only 3 classes appear available
in Document->Settings, all of them DocBook.

I think I'm going to uninstall, then download source and see how that goes....

--
Kevin O'Gorman

programmer, n. an organism that transmutes caffeine into software.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org