Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
lazer100

Default install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10

Hello,

I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,

this is what happens when I try the command

$ sudo apt-get install gparted
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
xfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils ntfsprogs
The following NEW packages will be installed
gparted
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 350kB of archives.
After this operation, 2322kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
gparted
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gparted/gparted_0.3.8-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?

then I try:

$ sudo apt-get install gparted --fix-missing
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
xfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils ntfsprogs
The following NEW packages will be installed
gparted
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 350kB of archives.
After this operation, 2322kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
gparted
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gparted/gparted_0.3.8-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
$

I wish you could just download and install programs like on Windows, this is
the
problem with too much automaticity, when things go wrong, they go badly wrong.

how do I install this?

thanx

Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
lazer100

On 17-Sep-12 04:41:11 Doug wrote:
>On 09/16/2012 02:50 PM, lazer100 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,
>>
>/snip/
>> how do I install this?
>>
>> thanx
>>

>You'll be better off downloading a live version of GParted or Partition
>Magic and burning to
>a CD. You can't mess with the partitions on a disk on which you are
>running an OS, so
>if you burn a CD, you can do partitioning on any hard drive on the
>system from there.

>--doug

I want to dabble with an external USB drive, I want to zero the drive using
dd and /dev/zero,

I need gparted to determine the device name of the drive, I'm in fact only
going to use gparted in a read only way,

is there any other way to determine the device name of the drive,
something like /dev/sdb

Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
lazer100

On 17-Sep-12 05:12:10 Doug wrote:
>On 09/16/2012 03:53 PM, lazer100 wrote:

>>> /snip/

>>> You'll be better off downloading a live version of GParted or Partition
>>> Magic and burning to
>>> a CD. You can't mess with the partitions on a disk on which you are
>>> running an OS, so
>>> if you burn a CD, you can do partitioning on any hard drive on the
>>> system from there.
>>> --doug
>> I want to dabble with an external USB drive, I want to zero the drive using
>> dd and /dev/zero,
>>
>> I need gparted to determine the device name of the drive, I'm in fact only
>> going to use gparted in a read only way,
>>
>> is there any other way to determine the device name of the drive,
>> something like /dev/sdb

>If you have Dolphin, or whatever Ubuntu uses as an equivalent, it
>may tell you what the partition name is, as you go and click on
>each partition. If not, after you have snapped on each partition,
>noting what size it is for comparison with the next step, open
>a terminal and type df -h.

>You will get an output like this:

>[doug@Linux1 ~]$ df -h
>Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>/dev/sda9 12G 7.8G 3.7G 69% /
>/dev/sda11 208G 14G 195G 7% /home
>/dev/sda8 30G 66M 30G 1% /media/sda8
>/dev/sda7 122G 2.0G 114G 2% /media/disk
>/dev/sdb5 39G 188M 37G 1% /media/disk-1
>/dev/sda6 25G 500M 23G 3% /media/disk-2
>/dev/sda1 62G 17G 46G 27% /media/Windows
>/dev/sdb1 59G 52M 56G 1% /media/disk-3
>/dev/sdc1 3.8G 536M 3.3G 14% /media/disk-4

>Now you can see what everything is, and what the /dev name is

there is no program dolphin or Dolphin,

if I try to install this with sudo apt-get it wont install,
its as if someone has disconnected the support framework for 8.10,

I dont like using later versions of Ubuntu because it is becoming
too much like Windows, with too much automatic downloading of stuff
etc unasked. Ubuntu 8.10 is the optimal version of Ubuntu IMHO.

I dont see why they cannot just leave that stuff online,
webspace is cheap, I own some URLs myself and have at least
250G of server space for a few dollars a month,

its like there is an agenda to shepherd everyone towards
things they dont want.

when I try

df -h

I get:

/dev/sda3 9.7G 2.5G 6.8G 27% /
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 2.0G 84K 2.0G 1% /var/run
varlock 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /var/lock
udev 2.0G 2.9M 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 2.0G 104K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
lrm 2.0G 2.4M 2.0G 1%
/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/volatile
/dev/sdb1 7.5G 5.8G 1.8G 78% /media/QUICK
/dev/sda1 49G 43G 6.8G 87% /media/disk

but its not showing the system drive which is about 500G, that must be
/dev/sda
and it doesnt show the 1 terabyte drive I want to zero, which is unformatted
currently:

I began trying to wipe the drive with Windows software which is why it is
unformatted,
but that was using some complicated algorithm and would take many weeks to
complete!

when I just wanted the drive to be zeroed, so I decided to try that with dd,
something
like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx

where /dev/sdx would be the underlying drive,

unfortunately if I try tab completion with /dev/ ie to press tab after this,
it lists various things but none of the drives,

I think that is a defect with the implementation of tab completion,

really the underlying drives should be built in when you boot up, like with
Windows,

and also a partition manager really should be built into the default system,
as it is fundamental to using an operating system

eg it is with Windows,

Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Nils Kassube

lazer100 wrote:
> I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,

That's normal because 8.10 is an ancient version which is no longer
supported.

> this is what happens when I try the command
>
> $ sudo apt-get install gparted

> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
> 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]

As your version is no longer supported, the repositories are no longer
available at the places known to your machine. I would suggest to
reinstall the current version 12.04. Upgrading would take too much time
because the supported path would be too many steps: 8.10 -> 9.04 -> 9.10
-> 10.04 -> 12.04.

However if you can't upgrade / reinstall for some reason, change your
/etc/apt/sources.list and use the server old-releases.ubuntu.com instead
of archive.ubuntu.com. Then the entries should look like this:

deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main

Don't forget to use the command

sudo apt-get update

before you try again to install gparted.

Nils

Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Nils Kassube

lazer100 wrote:
> when I try
>
> df -h
>
> I get:

> /dev/sda3 9.7G 2.5G 6.8G 27% /
> tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /lib/init/rw
> varrun 2.0G 84K 2.0G 1% /var/run
> varlock 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /var/lock
> udev 2.0G 2.9M 2.0G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 2.0G 104K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
> lrm 2.0G 2.4M 2.0G 1%
> /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/volatile
> /dev/sdb1 7.5G 5.8G 1.8G 78% /media/QUICK
> /dev/sda1 49G 43G 6.8G 87% /media/disk
>
> but its not showing the system drive which is about 500G, that must
> be /dev/sda

/dev/sda is the entire disk but the df command only shows mounted
partitions.

> and it doesnt show the 1 terabyte drive I want to zero, which is
> unformatted currently:

If it is unformatted it can't be mounted and therefore you can't see it
with the df command. Use

sudo fdisk -l

instead to list the wanted information for all your disks.

> unfortunately if I try tab completion with /dev/ ie to press tab
> after this, it lists various things but none of the drives,
>
> I think that is a defect with the implementation of tab completion,

IMHO the tab completion works quite well but in the /dev folder there
are not only disks listed but all devices known to the system, so tab
completion won't show only what you are looking for. You could try
/dev/sd and then tab because then you limit the selection to disks.

Nils

Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Doug

[...]

I don't know what GUI program Ubuntu uses to show all the partitions,
drives,

directories, partitions, and so on, like Dolphin does in many distros. What
Dolphin does, when you snap on the partitions it finds, is it mounts them.
If they are unmounted, df can't see them. You need an Ubuntu expert--I'm
not one. I tried. Sorry.

--doug

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Nils Kassube

Doug wrote:
> I don't know what GUI program Ubuntu uses to show all the partitions,
> drives,
> directories, partitions, and so on, like Dolphin does in many
> distros. What Dolphin does, when you snap on the partitions it
> finds, is it mounts them.

Dolphin is a KDE program and therefore most Ubuntu users don't have it
installed. And even Dolphin can only mount the partitions if they are
formatted ...

Nils

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Sonntag, den 16.09.2012, 23:50 +0500 schrieb lazer100:

> I am unable to install gparted on Ubuntu 8.10,
>
> this is what happens when I try the command

> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main gparted 0.3.8-1ubuntu2
> 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.92.184 80]
> Failed to fetch

discontinued releases are moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ you
can update your sources.list entries to it ...

i would highly suggest to upgrade though, 8.10 has not seen any securty
fixes since over two years, such a machine should not be connected to
the internet...

ciao
oli