Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Liam Proven

Default Ubuntu without pre-installed software?

On 18 September 2012 17:27, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had no intention to reach Canonical; they wouldn't listen anyway. I
> just wrote into the wrong list, sorry. I guess there is a discussion
> list that I should have written to instead, but let's ju drop the
> whole thing right now.

Well, there's Bikeshed, the reborn Sounder.

bikeshed@googlegroups.com

It is more or less permanently off-topic, but you would be very
welcome to join us, as is anyone else reading this!

As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian! :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Pongo Pan

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 17:32 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

<snipped>

> As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
> good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian! :)

Or Bodhi, which has the surprisingly light and very customizable E17
desktop, is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and installs almost nothing beyond the
OS and the desktop. The 64 bit iso is only 561.4 MiB. You can lard it
up or not as you like. Artistic people (not me!) do beautiful or weird
or starkly plain and simple things with E17. Works very well for me on
an old laptop I use when traveling. I used to use CrunchBang for this:
based directly on Debian and very stark and simple by design. I found
the black and whiteness headache provoking in the long run.

There are lots of choices.

--
pongo pan
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:01:07 -0700

Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Liam Proven

On 18 September 2012 18:02, Pongo Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 17:32 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>>
>> As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
>> good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian! :¬)
>>

> Or Bodhi, which has the surprisingly light and very customizable E17
> desktop, is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and installs almost nothing beyond the
> OS and the desktop. The 64 bit iso is only 561.4 MiB. You can lard it
> up or not as you like. Artistic people (not me!) do beautiful or weird
> or starkly plain and simple things with E17. Works very well for me on
> an old laptop I use when traveling. I used to use CrunchBang for this:
> based directly on Debian and very stark and simple by design. I found
> the black and whiteness headache provoking in the long run.
>
> There are lots of choices.

Bodhi is OK. I salute & commend them for doing something a little
different, although to my jaundiced eye, the allegedly-beautiful E17
desktop really is not all that. None of the themes strike me as
particularly attractive.

A default installation of Mac OS X looks better than any of Bodhi's
themes to me, and nothing has ever beaten the austere beauty of
NeXTStep, not even its own progeny.

Which is odd, as just looking at people's desktop screenshots, I've
seen some /stunning/ Linux desktops.

But anyway. I've tried Bodhi, and Crunchbang, yes. Bodhi is quite
minimal, yes, but it does rather force your hand in terms of window
manager. Crunchbang is not minimal, it's quite complete, but it too
has strong opinions about how things should be done. Not bad ones - I
rather like it - but it is, shall we say, emphatic.

The point of using an Ubuntu netinst CD, or of using Debian, is that
*you can choose everything* if you so desire. You get to choose your
own window manager or desktop and all your own apps, which seems to be
what Johnny R wants. Bodhi, #! and so on do not permit this.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
"compdoc"

Don't know why, but sometimes when I send mail carriage returns & linefeeds
go missing and several lines become one line. I just wanted to clean up my
last email. Hope this works..

***
This seems the least painful way to create a minimal system, but still
preserves the original Unity desktop and basic system services.

It boots fast too, since no unnecessary services like Bluetooth and Network
Manager are installed...

Install Ubuntu Server, selecting what you like:

OpenSSH server (recommended)
LAMP Server* (optional)
Print server (recommended)
Samba file server (recommended for Windows networks
even if you are not sharing)

*When asked, be sure to enter a password for mysql
and write it down.

Then run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

To install Unity:
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop
sudo reboot

These are required for Dash (HUD) and Nautilus:
sudo apt-get install unity-lens-applications gvfs-backends

Then install some basic programs:
sudo apt-get install firefox gnome-disk-utility gparted ntp
sudo apt-get install mailutils nullmailer smartmontools
sudo dpkg-reconfigure nullmailer (if needed)

And then to clean up a little...
sudo apt-get autoremove

Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/18 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On 18 September 2012 18:02, Pongo Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 17:32 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> <snipped>
>>>
>>> As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
>>> good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian! :¬)
>>>

>> Or Bodhi, which has the surprisingly light and very customizable E17
>> desktop, is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and installs almost nothing beyond the
>> OS and the desktop. The 64 bit iso is only 561.4 MiB. You can lard it
>> up or not as you like. Artistic people (not me!) do beautiful or weird
>> or starkly plain and simple things with E17. Works very well for me on
>> an old laptop I use when traveling. I used to use CrunchBang for this:
>> based directly on Debian and very stark and simple by design. I found
>> the black and whiteness headache provoking in the long run.
>>
>> There are lots of choices.
>
> Bodhi is OK. I salute & commend them for doing something a little
> different, although to my jaundiced eye, the allegedly-beautiful E17
> desktop really is not all that. None of the themes strike me as
> particularly attractive.
>
> A default installation of Mac OS X looks better than any of Bodhi's
> themes to me, and nothing has ever beaten the austere beauty of
> NeXTStep, not even its own progeny.
>
> Which is odd, as just looking at people's desktop screenshots, I've
> seen some /stunning/ Linux desktops.
>
> But anyway. I've tried Bodhi, and Crunchbang, yes. Bodhi is quite
> minimal, yes, but it does rather force your hand in terms of window
> manager. Crunchbang is not minimal, it's quite complete, but it too
> has strong opinions about how things should be done. Not bad ones - I
> rather like it - but it is, shall we say, emphatic.
>
> The point of using an Ubuntu netinst CD, or of using Debian, is that
> *you can choose everything* if you so desire. You get to choose your
> own window manager or desktop and all your own apps, which seems to be
> what Johnny R wants. Bodhi, #! and so on do not permit this.

Yes, I think so too. Going to try the netinstall next time I install
Ubuntu. Probably pretty soon, as I'm going to replace Xubuntu (which I
don't like at all) on my Eee-PC.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Liam Proven

On 18 September 2012 20:37, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I think so too. Going to try the netinstall next time I install
> Ubuntu. Probably pretty soon, as I'm going to replace Xubuntu (which I
> don't like at all) on my Eee-PC.

Fair enough.

Lubuntu is pretty good, for what it's worth, and small and fast.
Crunchbang, as recommended by our simian friend earlier, is even
smaller and faster and more minimal, but you don't get luxuries like
desktop icons, automatic mounting of drives and so on. Works well,
though.

But if you want to roll you own, go for it! It's fun.

What window manager were you thinking of?

I have been occasionally working on a WindowMaker remix - both Ubuntu
and Debian worked quite well at this. Once I have that working, I plan
to try to build a GNUstep desktop on top of that.

Personally, if I were going that route because I did not want the
preconfigured software selections around desktops such as Unity
(Ubuntu), GNOME 3 (Gnobuntu), KDE (Kubuntu), Xfce (Xubuntu) or LXDE
(Lubuntu), I would go with Debian. It is pretty easy to install these
days, comes with pretty much everything Ubuntu does, and it's easier
to roll-your-own config. This is a normal, expected thing with Debian;
it isn't so much so with Ubuntu except on the server.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
chris

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 21:18 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 18 September 2012 20:37, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I think so too. Going to try the netinstall next time I install
> > Ubuntu. Probably pretty soon, as I'm going to replace Xubuntu (which I
> > don't like at all) on my Eee-PC.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> Lubuntu is pretty good, for what it's worth, and small and fast.
> Crunchbang, as recommended by our simian friend earlier, is even
> smaller and faster and more minimal, but you don't get luxuries like
> desktop icons, automatic mounting of drives and so on. Works well,
> though.
>
> But if you want to roll you own, go for it! It's fun.
>
> What window manager were you thinking of?
>
> I have been occasionally working on a WindowMaker remix - both Ubuntu
> and Debian worked quite well at this. Once I have that working, I plan
> to try to build a GNUstep desktop on top of that.
>
> Personally, if I were going that route because I did not want the
> preconfigured software selections around desktops such as Unity
> (Ubuntu), GNOME 3 (Gnobuntu), KDE (Kubuntu), Xfce (Xubuntu) or LXDE
> (Lubuntu), I would go with Debian. It is pretty easy to install these
> days, comes with pretty much everything Ubuntu does, and it's easier
> to roll-your-own config. This is a normal, expected thing with Debian;
> it isn't so much so with Ubuntu except on the server.
>

> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

That said, I believe evolution is still broken in Debian

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Tom H

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for a minimal, customisable Ubuntu - well, the netinst ISO is a
> good suggestion. Failing that, there is Debian!

netinst?! I don't think that Ubuntu has such an ISO.

I don't think that an Ubuntu install will be larger or significantly
larger that a Debian one for the same WM or DE.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Ric Moore

I had no intention to reach Canonical; they wouldn't listen anyway. I
just wrote into the wrong list, sorry. I guess there is a discussion
list that I should have written to instead, but let's ju drop the
whole thing right now.

Well, there's Bikeshed, the reborn Sounder.

bikeshed@googlegroups.com

It is more or less permanently off-topic, but you would be very
welcome to join us, as is anyone else reading this!

You bet! We discuss anything and everything. There is a total lack of
decorum which fosters much friendly debate. Well, you can't top post,
but that is about it. Oh yeah, no HTML mail with pink prancing unicorns
either. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 AM
"Eddie G. O'Connor Jr."

No need to get worried. I too was just voicing my opinion, I actually
think BOTH methods might be acceptable. For the "experienced" Linux
users, I mean really....who WANTS to spend half the afternoon removing
software they'll never use or don't need? And then again, for the
"noobies" of which I am one, I NEED to have some of that stuff
pre-installed for me, because I'm not "learned" enough to know how to
install everything with the configurations I need or have become
accustomed to. But I think there SHOULD be a middle ground, and the fact
that they're doing away with an Alternative .iso file might mean that
both you and I have to become more affluent in using Ubuntu on a daily
basis! As for myself I have quite a few exciting things I'm hoping
for....(maybe a Gnome Desktop Environment?..LoL!) and some new
backgrounds....features....apps...etc. I look at my usage of 12.04 as
the "escape" from the Locked Into What THEY Want You To Use
"prison"!....LoL!!!

EGO II