Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Thufir

Default minimal CD --> startx

I'm planning a clean install of 12.04 from the minimal CD (yes, this is
the disc I want to use). I want to just install enough of a system to run
"startx" from the terminal, but explicitly want nothing more.

Has startx been deprecated with:

sudo service gdm start

Also, which package(s) do I need to install just for the simplest
X Windows system?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2012 12:27, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm planning a clean install of 12.04 from the minimal CD (yes, this is
> the disc I want to use). I want to just install enough of a system to run
> "startx" from the terminal, but explicitly want nothing more.
>
> Has startx been deprecated with:
>
> sudo service gdm start

I don't understand the question.

If you install Server, it does not have a GUI, therefore no display manager.

> Also, which package(s) do I need to install just for the simplest
> X Windows system?

Depends. What window manager do you want? You have to pick at least one.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Thufir

Liam Proven <lproven <at> gmail.com> writes:
[..]
> > sudo service gdm start
>
> I don't understand the question.
>
> If you install Server, it does not have a GUI, therefore no display manager.
>
> > Also, which package(s) do I need to install just for the simplest
> > X Windows system?
>
> Depends. What window manager do you want? You have to pick at least one.

Ah, that was my misunderstanding. I think I just want XWindows, if I understand
your question.

-Thufir

Old 09-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2012 15:06, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, that was my misunderstanding. I think I just want XWindows, if I understand
> your question.

There is no such thing as "just XWindows". Indeed there is no such
thing as "XWindows".

By way of comparison:

"I just want a car."
"OK, which make?"
"I don't want a particular make, I just want a car."
"But you have to choose a make. You buy cars from car-makers. Pick one."
"No, I want no make, I just want a car."

You have to have a window manager; without a window manager, you can't
have windows and thus you can't have a graphical environment of any
kind.

There is no default window manager; you have to pick one.

The simplest, most primitive window manager for X.11 is probably twm,
but twm is /very/ rudimentary and really not much use.

So, go pick a window manager, and then you can install it and the
basic underpinnings of X.11 to allow it to run.

If you don't know what a window manager is and have no preference in
window managers, then you are probably not yet ready for trying to
build a raw system from the command line upwards. A good place to
start might be Crunchbang, which is a fairly modern Linux with a
minimal, somewhat old-fashioned windowmanager setup rather than a
desktop.

Install Crunchbang, explore it, learn to work it, learn to customise
its app menu and change its panel and a few basic things like that,
then you will be equipped with some more of the necessary skills.

Alternatively, if you want to see what life used to be like in the bad
old days, try to get a base FreeBSD system running. :¬) And in the
unlikely event that you manage that, try again with NetBSD.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:27:57 +0000 (UTC)
Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm planning a clean install of 12.04 from the minimal CD (yes, this
> is the disc I want to use). I want to just install enough of a
> system to run "startx" from the terminal, but explicitly want nothing
> more.
>
> Has startx been deprecated with:
>
> sudo service gdm start

no, startx is in the xinit binary package (and usually installed as
dependency of xorg)

> Also, which package(s) do I need to install just for the simplest
> X Windows system?

sudo apt-get install xorg

(xorg is the metapackage that pulls in the X system)

ciao
oli

Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Patrick Asselman

[...]

The man just wants a car of any brand with no interior. That may not be
available at the dealer, but that is why he came here, to the junk yard
:-P

Maybe you cannot have a working graphics GUI without a window manager,
but imo you can have an X session starting without a window manager. All
you get is a gray background, not very workable, but definately
possible. I've done it, years ago, but it was before my Ubuntu era, so I
wouldn't know how to do it in Ubuntu. I suspect you install the server
version first, and then install a package like "x11-common"... but I do
not know which package one would have to choose.

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Liam Proven

On 15 September 2012 18:28, Patrick Asselman <iceblink@seti.nl> wrote:

> The man just wants a car of any brand with no interior. That may not be
> available at the dealer, but that is why he came here, to the junk yard :-P

:¬)

> Maybe you cannot have a working graphics GUI without a window manager, but
> imo you can have an X session starting without a window manager. All you get
> is a gray background, not very workable, but definately possible.

And what exactly does one *do* with this, that is the question?

It ain't "X-Windows" if there aren't any windows. ;¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:40:02 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

>On 15 September 2012 18:28, Patrick Asselman <iceblink@seti.nl> wrote:
>>
>> The man just wants a car of any brand with no interior. That may not be
>> available at the dealer, but that is why he came here, to the junk yard :-P
>
>:)
>
>> Maybe you cannot have a working graphics GUI without a window manager, but
>> imo you can have an X session starting without a window manager. All you get
>> is a gray background, not very workable, but definately possible.
>
>And what exactly does one *do* with this, that is the question?
>
>It ain't "X-Windows" if there aren't any windows. ;)

It ain't "X-Windows" by any measure. It's the "X Window System".

Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Liam Proven

Old 09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Phil Dobbin

Jonathan Hudson wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 18:40:02 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 15 September 2012 18:28, Patrick Asselman <iceblink@seti.nl> wrote:
>>> The man just wants a car of any brand with no interior. That may not be
>>> available at the dealer, but that is why he came here, to the junk yard :-P
>> :)
>>
>>> Maybe you cannot have a working graphics GUI without a window manager, but
>>> imo you can have an X session starting without a window manager. All you get
>>> is a gray background, not very workable, but definately possible.
>> And what exactly does one *do* with this, that is the question?
>>
>> It ain't "X-Windows" if there aren't any windows. ;)
>>

> It ain't "X-Windows" by any measure. It's the "X Window System".

Oliver (see previous post) is right.

Install Xorg & then pick from Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Xfce, etc, etc.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of tutorials available on Google.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise