FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Pongo Pan
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 23:14 +0200, John D. Herron wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm running a Windows-free Intel 32-bit machine with Ubuntu 12.04
> preinstalled on a 1 TB harddisk in a single partition which seems to
> span the entire HDD, although at this time it occupies only about 25
> GB of space.
> Would like to install and dual-boot the latest Linux Mint alongside
> with the Ubuntu.
> How do I go about doing that without ruining the original Ubuntu
> content?
> Thanks for helping out.
>
> jdh
>

Install gparted, the Gnome partitioner, and shrink the primary partition
you have now (may take a long time: run this overnight) and then add an
extended partition in which you can make as many logical partitions for
more distros as you like.

You might like to look into Parted Magic, a free live CD that bundles
gparted with much else: partedmagic.com. I find I have fewer problems
moving partitions around and resizing them if I use a live CD. Parted
Magic also runs a forum which is a good source for info and advice on
partitioning in general.

Please post in plain text here.

--
pongo pan
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:47:25 -0700
Epicurus up 1:48, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.25
Linux 3.2.0-30-generic
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, gnome-session 3.2.1, unity 5.14.0



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

John D. Herron wrote:
> I'm running a Windows-free Intel 32-bit machine with Ubuntu 12.04 preinstalled
> on a 1 TB harddisk in a single partition which seems to span the entire HDD,
> although at this time it occupies only about 25 GB of space.
> Would like to install and dual-boot the latest Linux Mint alongside with the
> Ubuntu.
> How do I go about doing that without ruining the original Ubuntu content?
> Thanks for helping out.

When you install Mint, there should be an option in the installer to
have it install alongside current operating systems rather than
overwriting them. If you choose this option, it should do exactly that
and present you with a choice between the two of them on boot up.

This is more a question about the operation of Mint and its installer
than of Ubuntu, but the feature whereby you can install the new system
alongside the current one is rather universal, so I'd be very
surprised if it wasn't offered. If anything is unclear in it, Mint's
own mailing lists or forums would be a good place to seek
clarification

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

Pongo Pan wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 23:14 +0200, John D. Herron wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> >
> > I'm running a Windows-free Intel 32-bit machine with Ubuntu 12.04
> > preinstalled on a 1 TB harddisk in a single partition which seems to
> > span the entire HDD, although at this time it occupies only about 25
> > GB of space.
> > Would like to install and dual-boot the latest Linux Mint alongside
> > with the Ubuntu.
> > How do I go about doing that without ruining the original Ubuntu
> > content?
> > Thanks for helping out.
> >
> > jdh
> >
>
> Install gparted, the Gnome partitioner, and shrink the primary partition
> you have now (may take a long time: run this overnight) and then add an
> extended partition in which you can make as many logical partitions for
> more distros as you like.

This will not work; you cannot resize the partitions on a disk that is
in use, so you cannot resize the partitions on a disk containing the
operating system you are using.

You could boot off a live CD (such as Parted Magic), but it seems a
bit of a convoluted process - boot off a live CD to resize partitions,
then boot off a different live CD to install the system - when the
Mint install CD will be able to perform both tasks.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Liam Proven
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

On 14 September 2012 00:23, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
>
> This will not work; you cannot resize the partitions on a disk that is
> in use, so you cannot resize the partitions on a disk containing the
> operating system you are using.
>
> You could boot off a live CD (such as Parted Magic), but it seems a
> bit of a convoluted process - boot off a live CD to resize partitions,
> then boot off a different live CD to install the system - when the
> Mint install CD will be able to perform both tasks.

Avi speaks the truth.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Pongo Pan
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 00:23 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Pongo Pan wrote:
> >
> > Install gparted, the Gnome partitioner, and shrink the primary partition
> > you have now (may take a long time: run this overnight) and then add an
> > extended partition in which you can make as many logical partitions for
> > more distros as you like.
>
> This will not work; you cannot resize the partitions on a disk that is
> in use, so you cannot resize the partitions on a disk containing the
> operating system you are using.

You're right, of course. I've so seldom had a machine with only one
partition on it that it didn't occur to me that you can't resize from
within a partition.
>
> You could boot off a live CD (such as Parted Magic), but it seems a
> bit of a convoluted process - boot off a live CD to resize partitions,
> then boot off a different live CD to install the system - when the
> Mint install CD will be able to perform both tasks.

I still prefer to use a specialist live CD for partitioning: you get all
the additional utilities like disk cloning, hardware checking, etc. in a
nice environment and a full-fledged gparted is easier to use and simpler
to understand than the cut-down version that comes with ubiquity and its
clones.
>
> --
> Avi
>

--
pongo pan
Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:06:09 -0700
Epicurus up 24 min, 2 users, load average: 0.23, 0.16, 0.22
Linux 3.2.0-30-generic
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, gnome-session 3.2.1, unity 5.14.0



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default How to make room for an additional distro

Pongo Pan wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 00:23 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > Pongo Pan wrote:
> > >
> > > Install gparted, the Gnome partitioner, and shrink the primary partition
> > > you have now (may take a long time: run this overnight) and then add an
> > > extended partition in which you can make as many logical partitions for
> > > more distros as you like.
> >
> > This will not work; you cannot resize the partitions on a disk that is
> > in use, so you cannot resize the partitions on a disk containing the
> > operating system you are using.
>
> You're right, of course. I've so seldom had a machine with only one
> partition on it that it didn't occur to me that you can't resize from
> within a partition.

It's not partitions, it's whole drives. If your OS is on /dev/sda1,
then you can't modify any volume on sda from within it[0]; the problem
is of altering the partition table that defines a mounted partition.

You could resize the volumes on /dev/sdb if you're booted off
/dev/sda, but that's getting towards an edge case.

> > You could boot off a live CD (such as Parted Magic), but it seems a
> > bit of a convoluted process - boot off a live CD to resize partitions,
> > then boot off a different live CD to install the system - when the
> > Mint install CD will be able to perform both tasks.
>
> I still prefer to use a specialist live CD for partitioning: you get all
> the additional utilities like disk cloning, hardware checking, etc. in a
> nice environment and a full-fledged gparted is easier to use and simpler
> to understand than the cut-down version that comes with ubiquity and its
> clones.

You get GParted in the Ubuntu LiveCDs, I'd be surprised if you don't
get it on Mint; other than that I can't argue that you *shouldn't* use
two CDs for an installation, it just seems a weird method to suggest
to someone who apparently doesn't want to do any disk cloning or
hardware checking, just install an OS.

--
Avi

[0] Unless you use LVM, but then you're still not modifying a volume
on /dev/sda you're modifying a volume in your VG.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org