Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default System bell ignoring preferences

After setting the beep preference on Kubuntu 11.10, the beep sound
does not change:

$ xset q | grep bell
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
$ beep
$ sudo /usr/bin/xset b 10 400 10
$ xset q | grep bell
bell percent: 10 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 10
$ beep
$

The first and second beeps emitted sound the same. Is there something
that I am missing?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> After setting the beep preference on Kubuntu 11.10, the beep sound
> does not change:
>
> $ xset q | grep bell
> bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
> $ beep
> $ sudo /usr/bin/xset b 10 400 10
> $ xset q | grep bell
> bell percent: 10 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 10
> $ beep
> $
>
> The first and second beeps emitted sound the same. Is there something
> that I am missing?
>

> --
> Dotan Cohen

I haven't had to do this in a while, but I remember solving this by
just flat out blacklisting the module pcspkr. Thus, problem solved.

W. Scott Lockwood

Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 8:13 PM, William Scott Lockwood III
<vladinator@gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't had to do this in a while, but I remember solving this by
> just flat out blacklisting the module pcspkr. Thus, problem solved.

Thanks, Scott. Obviously we are solving different problems! I need to
change the speaker sound, not eliminate it.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> After setting the beep preference on Kubuntu 11.10, the beep sound
> does not change:
>
> $ xset q | grep bell
> bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
> $ beep
> $ sudo /usr/bin/xset b 10 400 10
> $ xset q | grep bell
> bell percent: 10 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 10
> $ beep
> $
>
> The first and second beeps emitted sound the same. Is there something
> that I am missing?

You are using the default values of the beep program which should be the
same both times. If you want to test the system sound for the bell, use
the command

echo -e "a"

And another thought: If you want to use the system sound on a virtual
console (Ctrl-Alt-F1...Ctrl-Alt-F6) the sound is not controlled by the
Kubuntu settings or xset. But I can't tell you how to change the pitch
of a virtual console.

Nils

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> You are using the default values of the beep program which should be the
> same both times. If you want to test the system sound for the bell, use
> the command
>
> echo -e "a"

Thanks. Unfortunately, that makes no sound at all! The pcspkr module is loaded:
$ lsmod | grep pcspkr
pcspkr 12702 0

And I made sure that the bell is on:

$ xset b on

But still no sound! I also tried echo ^V^G but no bell either. Why
might that be?

> And another thought: If you want to use the system sound on a virtual
> console (Ctrl-Alt-F1...Ctrl-Alt-F6) the sound is not controlled by the
> Kubuntu settings or xset. But I can't tell you how to change the pitch
> of a virtual console.

Thanks, I don't need it in the virtual console.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Nils Kassube

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>
wrote:
> > You are using the default values of the beep program which should
> > be the same both times. If you want to test the system sound for
> > the bell, use the command
> >
> > echo -e "a"
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately, that makes no sound at all! The pcspkr module
> is loaded: $ lsmod | grep pcspkr
> pcspkr 12702 0
>
> And I made sure that the bell is on:
>
> $ xset b on
>
> But still no sound! I also tried echo ^V^G but no bell either. Why
> might that be?

I tried it yesterday on a 12.04 machine and I got a bell sound from a
terminal program and from a virtual console. So it should be possible to
enable it. However if I try it with this 10.04 machine I get no sound in
a terminal, only in a virtual console (after "modprobe pcspkr"). I
suppose I have disabled the system sound somewhere in the Kubuntu
settings because I don't like it. However when I just tried to enable
it, I couldn't find a setting which works. Maybe someone else has an
idea?

Nils