Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Dave Howorth

Default desktop b0rken: was X not working on precise

Dave Howorth wrote:
> After upgrading a machine that was hapily running lucid to precise, the
> graphics no longer works. I expect it's a pretty simple problem to
> diagnose and fix but I'm out of touch with the state of the X server and
> config files and graphics card support etc and google has shown me hints
> but nothing definitive. It's a fairly old PC.
[snip]
> It appears from synaptic that I do not have fglrx or
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon or xserver-xorg-video-ati or
> xserver-xorg-video-r128 installed. I don't understand why not,
> especially given hwinfo appears to indicate it should use the ati
> meta-driver. Nor do I understand why the grep command returned no
> output, since I would hope that the Rage 128 is supported by the r128
> driver. (edit: I do understand now - the only file in that directory is
> geode.ids and it has just to ids in it. But I don't know why there
> aren't more files, so it seems like I can't trust that web page)

I got impatient and installed xserver-xorg-video-ati. That has fixed
things so the X server starts. I've no idea why the upgrade broke that.

Another thing the upgrade has broken is the desktop. I was using lxdm
and lxde. I now see a different login screen (presumably lightdm?) that
doesn't appear to have any method to select desktop session type and
that logs me into something that says "Ubuntu Desktop". I don't know
what that is (though I have my suspicions) but it definitely isn't lxde

So, grr grr grr, why has the upgrade broken my desktop! And I suppose
I'll have to start googling for ways to fix that now unless some kind
soul can point me in the right direction?

Cheers, Dave