Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Technical steps to debrand Ubuntu?

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 12 September 2012 18:25, <anotst01@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > I want to comply with http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
> >
> > How can I remove all protected stuff such as Ubuntu logo, Ubuntu name?
> >
> > Please tell me the technical steps I have to do before I may
> > redistribute Ubuntu software under a different name.
>
> What do you want to do with it?

Make big changes to the default images. Exchanging default desktop.
Maybe later, commercial use. Who knows.

I don't want to have always some agreement or the trademarkpolicy in
back of my mind.

I want to remove all trademarked and copyrighted stuff. (Of course, the
open source licenses will still be honored.)

It must be somehow possible?

Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 September 2012 18:44, <anotst01@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> On 12 September 2012 18:25, <anotst01@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> > I want to comply with http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
>> >
>> > How can I remove all protected stuff such as Ubuntu logo, Ubuntu name?
>> >
>> > Please tell me the technical steps I have to do before I may
>> > redistribute Ubuntu software under a different name.
>>
>> What do you want to do with it?
>
> Make big changes to the default images. Exchanging default desktop.
> Maybe later, commercial use. Who knows.
>
> I don't want to have always some agreement or the trademarkpolicy in
> back of my mind.
>
> I want to remove all trademarked and copyrighted stuff. (Of course, the
> open source licenses will still be honored.)
>
> It must be somehow possible?

Well, it is up to you, but I looked at the job, which would mean
modifying thousands of software packages and metapackages, building
and testing new disk images, putting up and maintaining our own
repositories and so on - a very big job for a small company with
essentially 2 technical staff - and decided that it was far easier to
switch to a more cooperative distro. YMMV.

Mint worked for us, but there are many Ubuntu remixes out there;
perhaps one of them would be a better fit for you. Failing that, there
is of course Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based upon.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:50:28 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, it is up to you, but I looked at the job, which would mean
> modifying thousands of software packages and metapackages,

in fact it is only a handfull of packages, mainly theme stuff like
ubuntu-artwork and its deps, ubuntu-docs etc ...

to roll your own distro on top of an ubuntu base you can use a PPA
to hold your own theme and metapackages (unless you want to build arm
or powerpc images)

while its not super trivial it is also not rocket science

ciao
oli

Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 September 2012 21:26, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:50:28 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, it is up to you, but I looked at the job, which would mean
>> modifying thousands of software packages and metapackages,
>
> in fact it is only a handfull of packages, mainly theme stuff like
> ubuntu-artwork and its deps, ubuntu-docs etc ...
>
> to roll your own distro on top of an ubuntu base you can use a PPA
> to hold your own theme and metapackages (unless you want to build arm
> or powerpc images)
>
> while its not super trivial it is also not rocket science

OK, fair enough.

3 years ago, I looked for this info. I could not find a simple, clear
guide. Absent this, to use Ubuntu's repositories means using their
name; to use packages such as ubuntu-desktop or
ubuntu-restricted-extras means using their name.

So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially
rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"
*ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and
specifically told my company that we could not use.

You are claiming differently, which is fine, but means that you have a
better answer to the OP's question than any I can offer. So, please
tell him what he must do or point him at a link where he can find this
out. I am very interested in this as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:54:16 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially
> rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"
> *ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and
> specifically told my company that we could not use.

thats technically impossible, the word ubuntu is even in the version
numbers of packages ... the only thing you have to remove is the
trademarked stuff like logos etc and you cant use the name ubuntu
in/for your product .... i.e. if you would do a spanish distro with
enlightenment as the desktop based on ubuntu, you couldnt call it
"hispabuntu" without canonicals approval ...(similar to iceweasle vs
firefox)

there are plenty of derivative distros based on ubuntu ... most of them
just using archive.ubuntu.com or even the isos as a base

ciao
oli

Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 September 2012 00:27, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:54:16 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially
>> rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"
>> *ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and
>> specifically told my company that we could not use.
>>
> thats technically impossible

No, merely very difficult.

>, the word ubuntu is even in the version
> numbers of packages ... the only thing you have to remove is the
> trademarked stuff like logos etc

[[Citation needed]]

> and you cant use the name ubuntu
> in/for your product .... i.e. if you would do a spanish distro with
> enlightenment as the desktop based on ubuntu, you couldnt call it
> "hispabuntu" without canonicals approval ...(similar to iceweasle vs
> firefox)
>
> there are plenty of derivative distros based on ubuntu ... most of them
> just using archive.ubuntu.com or even the isos as a base

If Ubuntu is happy to let such distros go, and the distros are happy
for me to use them trademarks & all, then that seemed an easier route
to me.

But you are saying that this debranding is much easier than I thought,
and that several have done it - so, are there any guidelines or
anything out there?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-12-2012, 11:34 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Sep 12, 2012 6:28 PM, "Oliver Grawert" <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> hi,

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:54:16 +0100

> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> > So it seemed to me that to replace all these meant essentially

> > rebuilding the whole distro to remove all uses of the word "ubuntu"

> > *ANYWHERE* as that is their trademark which they explicitly and

> > specifically told my company that we could not use.

> thats technically impossible, the word ubuntu is even in the version

> numbers of packages ... the only thing you have to remove is the

> trademarked stuff like logos etc and you cant use the name ubuntu

> in/for your product .... i.e. if you would do a spanish distro with

> enlightenment as the desktop based on ubuntu, you couldnt call it

> "hispabuntu" without canonicals approval ...(similar to iceweasle vs

> firefox)

> there are plenty of derivative distros based on ubuntu ... most of them

> just using archive.ubuntu.com or even the isos as a base

> ciao

> * * * * oli

And while I doubt the company in question wants to do so, someone really should take Canonicals ass to court over that. You cannot trademark common words regardless of the language used. Otherwise, just trademark the word "the" and force the world to stop using it. Lol

When you consider the meaning and intent of the word in it's native language, that is particularly egregious abuse indeed.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 00:32:50 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> > thats technically impossible
>
> No, merely very difficult.

no, what you would have in the end wouldnt be ubuntu anymore

> >, the word ubuntu is even in the version
> > numbers of packages ... the only thing you have to remove is the
> > trademarked stuff like logos etc

http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy says:

...If you are producing a new, non-commercial product that is based on
Ubuntu, but it has more substantial changes than those described above
as a Remix, you are allowed to state (and we would encourage you to do
so) that your product is “derived from Ubuntu”, “based on Ubuntu”, or
“a derivative of Ubuntu” but you may not use the Trademarks on their
own to refer to your product. You must, however, make it clear that
your product is not the same as Ubuntu as distributed by the Ubuntu
project. You also should not use any of the Ubuntu visual identity,
such as the Circle of Friends logo, or write the word 'Ubuntu' using
the Ubuntu font - that visual identity is reserved for code with no
substantial changes...

> If Ubuntu is happy to let such distros go,

ubuntu isnt happy or unhappy ubuntu is a product built and governed
by the community ... its canonical that owns the trademark

ciao
oli

Old 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 18:34:08 -0500
William Scott Lockwood III <vladinator@gmail.com> wrote:

> And while I doubt the company in question wants to do so, someone
> really should take Canonicals ass to court over that. You cannot
> trademark common words regardless of the language used.

no, and guess what, trademark registrars in the world know that

sadly there is no english version of that wikipage, but have a look at
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_(Waschmittel) ... (you can buy it in
germany)

canonical owns the trademark Ubuntu (and several others like ku|xu|
edubuntu) for software products ... it does not own the trademark for
i.e. beverages called ubuntu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Cola
or for restaurants http://www.ubuntunapa.com/restaurant/

ciao
oli