Old 09-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Zaki Akhmad

Default Failed unmount

Hello,

I can't copy files to my flashdisk. Whenever I copied files, suddenly
the files was missing from the flash disk (when I re-insert the
flashdisk).

When I tried to do the umount from terminal, it shows like this:
za@zara:~$ umount /media/2348-7FF0
Unmount failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
connection was broken.

Someone could help me? I am using kubuntu 11.10

--
Zaki Akhmad

Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Colin Law

On 12 September 2012 08:39, Zaki Akhmad <zakiakhmad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't copy files to my flashdisk. Whenever I copied files, suddenly
> the files was missing from the flash disk (when I re-insert the
> flashdisk).
>
> When I tried to do the umount from terminal, it shows like this:
> za@zara:~$ umount /media/2348-7FF0
> Unmount failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
> remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
> policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken.
>
> Someone could help me? I am using kubuntu 11.10

Does sudo umount work better? Alternatively you should be able to
eject it in nautilus by right clicking and selecting Eject or Safely
Remove.

Colin

Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 AM
Zaki Akhmad

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Does sudo umount work better? Alternatively you should be able to
> eject it in nautilus by right clicking and selecting Eject or Safely
> Remove.

Haven't tried yet with sudo.
When I reject in nautilus, the status keeps telling "removing". I've
waited for 2-3 minutes, and nothing changed. When I forced to
unplugged, the files which I copied, is gone.

--
Zaki Akhmad

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Colin Law

On 13 September 2012 04:06, Zaki Akhmad <zakiakhmad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does sudo umount work better? Alternatively you should be able to
>> eject it in nautilus by right clicking and selecting Eject or Safely
>> Remove.
>
> Haven't tried yet with sudo.
> When I reject in nautilus, the status keeps telling "removing". I've
> waited for 2-3 minutes, and nothing changed. When I forced to
> unplugged, the files which I copied, is gone.

If you plug it in and then eject (in nautilus) as soon as it appears
does it eject ok?

If you copy a small file and eject does it eject ok?

What if you leave it for an hour when it will not eject?

One possibility to consider is that the device is faulty, which can
make it either fail to write or write very slowly. It may be worth
trying a different one.

Colin

Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi
Am Mittwoch, den 12.09.2012, 14:39 +0700 schrieb Zaki Akhmad:
> Hello,

> When I tried to do the umount from terminal, it shows like this:
> za@zara:~$ umount /media/2348-7FF0
> Unmount failed: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the
> remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security
> policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network
> connection was broken.
>
> Someone could help me? I am using kubuntu 11.10

mounts in /media are usually handled by udisks, if you dont want to use
sudo, use:

udisks --unmount /media/2348-7FF0

ciao
oli