-   -   how to activate alternative keyboard layouts on kubuntu? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/702885-how-activate-alternative-keyboard-layouts-kubuntu.html)

"Charlie Zender" 09-11-2012 06:10 PM

how to activate alternative keyboard layouts on kubuntu?

Hi,

I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
I looked through the system configuration options
and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
(as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).
What am I overlooking?

Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine (949) 891-2429 :)

Nils Kassube 09-11-2012 07:58 PM

Charlie Zender wrote:
> I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
> Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
> but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
> I looked through the system configuration options
> and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
> (as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).

I think you can find the options here:
Systemsettings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Layouts

Nils

NoOp 09-11-2012 08:14 PM

On 09/11/2012 12:58 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Charlie Zender wrote:
>> I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
>> Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
>> but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
>> I looked through the system configuration options
>> and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
>> (as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).
>
> I think you can find the options here:
> Systemsettings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Layouts

System Settings|Keyboard|Typing (tab)|lower left side: Layout
Settings|Layouts (tab) - click the + and you can add 'English
(international AltGr dead keys)

Nils Kassube 09-11-2012 08:48 PM

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/11/2012 12:58 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Charlie Zender wrote:
> >> I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
> >> Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
> >> but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
> >> I looked through the system configuration options
> >> and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
> >> (as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).
> >
> > I think you can find the options here:
> > Systemsettings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Layouts
>
> System Settings|Keyboard|Typing (tab)|lower left side: Layout
> Settings|Layouts (tab) - click the + and you can add 'English
> (international AltGr dead keys)

Hmm, that is for Ubuntu, isn't it? At least I can't find that Keyboard
section. The OP asked about Kubuntu 12.04. Unfortunately the system
settings aren't the same for the various *ubuntu flavours. :(

Nils

NoOp 09-11-2012 10:36 PM

On 09/11/2012 01:48 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > I think you can find the options here:
>> > Systemsettings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Layouts
>>
>> System Settings|Keyboard|Typing (tab)|lower left side: Layout
>> Settings|Layouts (tab) - click the + and you can add 'English
>> (international AltGr dead keys)
>
> Hmm, that is for Ubuntu, isn't it? At least I can't find that Keyboard
> section. The OP asked about Kubuntu 12.04. Unfortunately the system
> settings aren't the same for the various *ubuntu flavours. :(
>

> Nils

Ah... I need to clean my reading glasses... Woosh - I completely missed
the 'K'.

Gary

Guus Bonnema 09-12-2012 05:07 AM

how to activate alternative keyboard layouts on kubuntu?

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:17:02 -0700
"Charlie Zender" <zender@uci.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
> Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
> but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
> I looked through the system configuration options
> and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
> (as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).
> What am I overlooking?

Use system settings -> Input devices and click the tab for layout.

Guus.

Nigel Ridley 09-12-2012 05:08 AM

how to activate alternative keyboard layouts on kubuntu?

I used the default keyboard when installing Kubuntu 12.04.
Now I want to activate the US International Keyboard layout,
but I cannot figure out where/how to do that.
I looked through the system configuration options
and none of them seem to include keyboard layouts
(as opposed to keyboard shortcuts).
What am I overlooking?

Go to System Settings > Input Devices > Keyboard > Layouts tab > check the 'Configure Layouts'
box and then click 'Add' and choose the keyboard layout of your choice ......

Nigel

Kurtis Brown 09-12-2012 06:51 AM

how to activate alternative keyboard layouts on kubuntu?

Choose: K-Menu->System Settings->Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Layout

In the*Layout*tab, check the*Enable Keyboard Layouts*box.

Choose the country in which the keyboard layout you want is used, and click*Add. The country should appear in theActive Layouts*list.

Click the country in the*Active Layouts*list, and choose the appropriate*Layout variant*for the country selected. This is important for countries where more than one language are commonly spoken.

Click on*Apply*to save your settings.

A*flag icon*should now appear in the system tray showing the current keyboard layout being used. Click the*flag icon*to switch to the other keyboard layout.

source :*http://linux.about.com/od/kubuntu_doc/a/kubudg38t11.htm