Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Calculating the size of /

In another thread I was trying to calculate how much disk space to
allocate to / if I did a fresh install and this time setup a separate
/home partition.

To get an idea of how much was outside of the home folder on my present
install I did:

sudo du -shc / => 105GB
du -shc /home => 64GB

This led me to believe I had 105GB - 64GB = 41GB that would be in /.

Colin suggested I run Disk Usage Analyzer:

Total filesystem capacity: 264.7GB(used: 104.5GB avail: 160.2GB

/ 100% 75.3GB
home 84.1% 63.3GB
usr 6.7% 5.0GB
var 5.8% 4.4GB
lib 2.1% 1.6GB
opt 1.0% 762.2MB
boot 0.3% 194.6MB

Everything else was 0.0%

So this seems to say that if I had a separate /home on this machine that
/ would be 12GB not the 41GB calculated above.

So what accounts for the difference of 29.2GB between the used of
104.5GB and / of 75.3GB?

The 12GB and 29.2GB = the 41GB I originally calculated would be needed
for /. 12GB seems to be more in line with what others reported as the
size needed for /.

Regards, Jim

Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Gilles Gravier

Adding -x to du tells it so skip directories on different filesystems...
Should give you what you want.

> sudo du -shcx /

Gilles.