Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 AM
user1

Default Homemade special personal characters on nano level to be used in passwords

Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
used in passwords?

Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.

Your complete personal password.

Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
in this ubuntu users world?

Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
> Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
> used in passwords?
>
> Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.
>
> Your complete personal password.
>
> Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
> in this ubuntu users world?

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Liam Proven

On 10 September 2012 17:19, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/10 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
>> Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
>> used in passwords?
>>
>> Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.
>>
>> Your complete personal password.
>>
>> Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
>> in this ubuntu users world?
>
> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.

Take care.

A Swedish friend of mine has the letter ö in his Facebook password. No
problem on a Swedish computer - or a German one, possibly, or Turkish
or Hungarian - but on a computer with a British or American (or the
other 9/10ths of the world) keyboard, he can't log in.

Yes you can use ƒáñçÿ accented letters in your password, but you might
find them very hard or impossible to enter away from your own machine
with your own keyboard preferences.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On 10 September 2012 17:19, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2012/9/10 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
>>> Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
>>> used in passwords?
>>>
>>> Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.
>>>
>>> Your complete personal password.
>>>
>>> Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
>>> in this ubuntu users world?
>>
>> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
>> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
>> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
>> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
>> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
>> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
>> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.
>
> Take care.
>
> A Swedish friend of mine has the letter ö in his Facebook password. No
> problem on a Swedish computer - or a German one, possibly, or Turkish
> or Hungarian - but on a computer with a British or American (or the
> other 9/10ths of the world) keyboard, he can't log in.

Yes he can, if he activates the Compose key. If he's on Windows, he
can install AllChars or similar, which among other things simulates
the Unix style compose key.
å=Compose oa
Å=Compose oa
ä=Compose "a
Ä=Compose "a
ö=Compose "o
Ö=Compose "O

It takes more time, though…

I guess another option would be to use a virtual keyboard which you
probably can design as you want.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg, Sweden
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/9/10 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:

>>> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
>>> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
>>> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
>>> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
>>> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
>>> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
>>> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> A Swedish friend of mine has the letter ö in his Facebook password. No
>> problem on a Swedish computer - or a German one, possibly, or Turkish
>> or Hungarian - but on a computer with a British or American (or the
>> other 9/10ths of the world) keyboard, he can't log in.
>
> Yes he can, if he activates the Compose key. If he's on Windows, he
> can install AllChars or similar, which among other things simulates
> the Unix style compose key.
> å=Compose oa
> Å=Compose oa
Sorry, I was too fast there. Å=Compose oA
> ä=Compose "a
> Ä=Compose "a
Same there, too fast again… Ä=Compose "A.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Liam Proven

On 10 September 2012 17:49, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/10 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:

>>> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
>>> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
>>> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
>>> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
>>> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
>>> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
>>> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> A Swedish friend of mine has the letter ö in his Facebook password. No
>> problem on a Swedish computer - or a German one, possibly, or Turkish
>> or Hungarian - but on a computer with a British or American (or the
>> other 9/10ths of the world) keyboard, he can't log in.
>
> Yes he can, if he activates the Compose key. If he's on Windows, he
> can install AllChars or similar, which among other things simulates
> the Unix style compose key.
> å=Compose oa
> Å=Compose oa
> ä=Compose "a
> Ä=Compose "a
> ö=Compose "o
> Ö=Compose "O
>
> It takes more time, though…
>
> I guess another option would be to use a virtual keyboard which you
> probably can design as you want.

Well, *I* know that and when I lent him my laptop last couple of times
he was staying, that's what I did. It is /way/ beyond his level of
technical knowledge, though - and installing an app is likely to be
impossible in an Internet café and a bit rude on a friend's computer.

(Interestingly, my old Thinkpad, which now runs Lubuntu, 12.04 finally
being too much for it, does not have a Compose key option in its
keyboard settings. I had to lend him my netbook, which runs actual
Ubuntu and does.)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Doug

On 09/10/2012 12:19 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

[...]

Perhaps UTF-8 characters from a foreign alphabet could be used.
Even the stuff that Johnny uses under his name! (Don't know if they're
UTG-8, or how they're made.)
--doug

Old 09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>:
> On 09/10/2012 12:19 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> 2012/9/10 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
>>>
>>> Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
>>> used in passwords?
>>>
>>> Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.
>>>
>>> Your complete personal password.
>>>
>>> Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
>>> in this ubuntu users world?
>>
>> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
>> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
>> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
>> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
>> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
>> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
>> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>
> Perhaps UTF-8 characters from a foreign alphabet could be used.
> Even the stuff that Johnny uses under his name! (Don't know if they're
> UTG-8, or how they're made.)
> --doug

It's actually my name in Japanese, using their kind of ”alphabet” –
every character is a sound, in most cases a consonant followed by a
vowel, I think in my case it's something like ”Jony Rosenbaga”, but
it's the closest you'll get in Japanese, I think. I don't speak or
write Japanese at all, even though I would like to learn – I just
entered my name in Google translate (Swedish–Japanese) and copied the
result to a phrase in AutoKey, which is a text expansion/replacement
utility for Linux and X11, so all I do to type my signature is to type
”kregj”… I also use my own keyboard layout, but that's maybe a
different story…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2012/9/10 Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>:

>>> I am not sure what you are trying to say here, or what's the purpose
>>> with this thread, but one idea that comes to my mind is to create a
>>> personal keyboard layout with special characters only. Then you have
>>> trivial passwords, like ”MyNameIsNotLodnert”, but before entering it
>>> you switch to your freaky layout, enter it as usual and the password
>>> is instead something like ”☺‰…≈π*☏√…℃α♢℃℗** α” well, you get the idea.
>>> But I'm not sure if those characters are accepted in most situations.
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>>
>> Perhaps UTF-8 characters from a foreign alphabet could be used.
>> Even the stuff that Johnny uses under his name! (Don't know if they're
>> UTG-8, or how they're made.)
>> --doug
>
> It's actually my name in Japanese, using their kind of ”alphabet” – do they still exist? I haven't seen one for years (on the other hand I didn't look for them…). I think it's more common these days with places that provides WiFi so their guests can use their own laptops, tablets or whatever they bring.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

> every character is a sound, in most cases a consonant followed by a
> vowel, I think in my case it's something like ”Jony Rosenbaga”, but
> it's the closest you'll get in Japanese, I think. I don't speak or
> write Japanese at all, even though I would like to learn – I just
> entered my name in Google translate (Swedish–Japanese) and copied the
> result to a phrase in AutoKey, which is a text expansion/replacement
> utility for Linux and X11, so all I do to type my signature is to type
> ”kregj”… I also use my own keyboard layout, but that's maybe a
> different story…
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

By the way, if you use something like KeePassX (available in the
repositories), you don't even need to enter your passwords. You can
let KeePassX copy the right password to the clipboard or even
auto-type them at the right place. All you need to be portable is to
keep your password database on a USB stick and a key file on another
one (or the same one, but I guess it's safer to keep it separate from
the database), and then you only need to find an Ubuntu computer with
KeePassX installed…

Internet cafés

Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM
user1

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 04:23:28 +0000, user1 wrote:

> Has anyhbody heard of homemade special characters on nano level to be
> used in passwords?
>
> Should make it more difficult to break such passwords.
>
> Your complete personal password.
>
> Just a suggestion but it is important with mostly unbreakable passwords
> in this ubuntu users world?

What I meant was passwords which these newest super computers cannot
break because there should be an endless number of characters, that is
why I call in nano?