Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default 12.04 won't mount external drives

Finally decided to see what 12.04 w/Unity was all about. Played with it
briefly a while back but went back to Debian.

Biggest problem so far is that it won't mount an external drive, flash
or hdd. True in Unity and xfce both. Doesn't show in /etc/fstab so can't
mount it manually either.

Anyone have a goat I can sacrifice (I was going to say virgin but I
could hear the moderator's strangled gasp, so I didn't)?

Any pointers appreciated.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Avi Greenbury

Robert Holtzman wrote:

> Biggest problem so far is that it won't mount an external drive, flash
> or hdd. True in Unity and xfce both. Doesn't show in /etc/fstab so
> can't mount it manually either.

It's not supposed to be added to fstab - removable drives are just
mounted and not configured for remounting on boot or remembered
particularly.

Can you mount it manually by telling mount where it is:

mount /mnt /dev/sdb

for example? Did the device show up in dmesg? If you plug the drive in
and then run dmesg the last few lines should be about detecting a USB
device and say where it is (sdb or sdc, for example)

--
Avi

Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 9 September 2012 23:39, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> Finally decided to see what 12.04 w/Unity was all about. Played with it
> briefly a while back but went back to Debian.
>
> Biggest problem so far is that it won't mount an external drive, flash
> or hdd. True in Unity and xfce both. Doesn't show in /etc/fstab so can't
> mount it manually either.
>
> Anyone have a goat I can sacrifice (I was going to say virgin but I
> could hear the moderator's strangled gasp, so I didn't)?
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

Strange. Does for me, on multiple machines from new to ~10y old.

Ever had problems with USB before?

Is the installation fully updated & otherwise running normally?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884