Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   12.04 become unusable (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/701913-12-04-become-unusable.html)

"G. " 09-09-2012 06:36 AM

12.04 become unusable
 
I have 12.04 installed on a Samsung NC110 with 2 gigs of ram. 12.04
constantly stalls and crashes to the point where I can not use it. I
have tried Unity 2d to no avail. It worked fine when I first
installed it. I had the same experience with 11.10. 11.04 was fine.

I have switched to Lubuntu 12.04 which works fine with the exception
of a jumpy touch pad that causes the cursor to land at various points
on the screen when typing, a problem not found in 12.04 for me. My
other complaints about Lubuntu are minor, such as the lack of a gui to
control screen brightness.

Any suggestions on how to determine the cause of the problem(s)?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"G. " 09-09-2012 07:41 AM

12.04 become unusable
 
A few more details

Chrome very slow to switch between tabs. It often takes 30-45
seconds. Firefox does the same thing. Midori performs better but
still slow. FF and chrome often exhibit typing lags.

Switching between desktops is quite slow as well. Sometimes it does
not work at all using control + arrow.

Just opening nautilus is very slow.

The systems freezes several times a day. The only way to get it
running is to unplug everything and reboot.

Memory use shows just around 1 gig or a bit more, 2.3 so I am not
running out of memory. I have 2 gigs of swap. Disk shows healthy.

All these symptoms are in Unity 3d, less so but still there in 2d.

I have found some other users with the same computer who do not seem
to be having such problems.

Please advise if there is any other info I can provide that might
help. I like the unity interface so would prefer it over Lubuntu,
which is a very good system on its own.

thanks

garyk

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 12.04 installed on a Samsung NC110 with 2 gigs of ram. 12.04
> constantly stalls and crashes to the point where I can not use it. I
> have tried Unity 2d to no avail. It worked fine when I first
> installed it. I had the same experience with 11.10. 11.04 was fine.
>
> I have switched to Lubuntu 12.04 which works fine with the exception
> of a jumpy touch pad that causes the cursor to land at various points
> on the screen when typing, a problem not found in 12.04 for me. My
> other complaints about Lubuntu are minor, such as the lack of a gui to
> control screen brightness.
>
> Any suggestions on how to determine the cause of the problem(s)?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Karl Auer 09-09-2012 08:47 AM

12.04 become unusable
 
On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 09:41 +0200, G. wrote:
> Chrome very slow to switch between tabs. It often takes 30-45
> seconds. Firefox does the same thing. Midori performs better but
> still slow. FF and chrome often exhibit typing lags.
>
> Switching between desktops is quite slow as well. Sometimes it does
> not work at all using control + arrow.
>
> Just opening nautilus is very slow.

This all perfectly describes the symptoms I had using the default NVidia
driver that was installed, namely version 173.xx. I upgraded to the
so-called "current" version, 295.40 and all my problems went away. You
might get even better results from the "post-release updates" version,
since 295.40 is definitely not the latest version, but I haven't tried
that. Version 295.40 is good enough for me.

If you are using NVidia hardware:
- check that you are using at least version 295.40 of the driver.
- to install 295.40, run System-Settings -> Additional Drivers
and select the recommended current version.

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Liam Proven 09-09-2012 01:54 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On 9 September 2012 09:47, Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
>
> This all perfectly describes the symptoms I had using the default NVidia
> driver that was installed, namely version 173.xx. I upgraded to the
> so-called "current" version, 295.40 and all my problems went away.

Fair call, but the OP said they had a Samsung NC110. That's a netbook,
which like more or less all netbooks, has integrated Intel graphics in
the motherboard chipset.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"G. " 09-09-2012 02:03 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
snip



> Fair call, but the OP said they had a Samsung NC110. That's a netbook,
> which like more or less all netbooks, has integrated Intel graphics in
> the motherboard chipset.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>



Integrated graphics is what's on this machine. Also a Atom processor,
not the best choice for Unity.


garyk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Liam Proven 09-09-2012 02:09 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On 9 September 2012 15:03, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Integrated graphics is what's on this machine. Also a Atom processor,
> not the best choice for Unity.

I am running 12.04 on an Acer AspireOne from about 3-4y ago, with a
slowish Atom & chipset graphics, & it works really well. The /single/
problem of any kind I have had is that sometimes when enabling an
external monitor, it rotates it 90°. Set it back and it responds by
rotating the picture on the built-in screen 90°.

A lot of resetting modes and rebooting eventually made this go away.

Other than that, flawless and quite quick.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"G. " 09-09-2012 02:18 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 September 2012 15:03, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Integrated graphics is what's on this machine. Also a Atom processor,
>> not the best choice for Unity.
>
> I am running 12.04 on an Acer AspireOne from about 3-4y ago, with a
> slowish Atom & chipset graphics, & it works really well. The /single/
> problem of any kind I have had is that sometimes when enabling an
> external monitor, it rotates it 90°. Set it back and it responds by
> rotating the picture on the built-in screen 90°.
>
> A lot of resetting modes and rebooting eventually made this go away.
>
> Other than that, flawless and quite quick.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Well then there's something going on with this machine or
installation. I've read some others using Unity without much trouble
on this very machine and with less memory installed. I think all is
well with the memory and hard drive so there are some things slowing
it up.

My only start up applications are drop box and the weather indicator,
which is not working any longer anyway. At the moment, running just
Midori, I am using 1.2 gigs of memory running 2D. Gnome system
monitor takes up quite a bit of cPU time but only from time to time.
I have seen it bounce up to 68% per System Monitor.

garyk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Liam Proven 09-09-2012 02:55 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On 9 September 2012 15:18, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well then there's something going on with this machine or
> installation. I've read some others using Unity without much trouble
> on this very machine and with less memory installed. I think all is
> well with the memory and hard drive so there are some things slowing
> it up.
>
> My only start up applications are drop box and the weather indicator,
> which is not working any longer anyway. At the moment, running just
> Midori, I am using 1.2 gigs of memory running 2D. Gnome system
> monitor takes up quite a bit of cPU time but only from time to time.
> I have seen it bounce up to 68% per System Monitor.

Do bear in mind that the kernel will use a large chunk of any
unoccupied memory for the disk cache. It leaves some RAM totally
uncommitted so that if you load a large app, it can give the app that
free space instantly without having to deallocate some of the disk
cache then shrink it and free up memory that way.

But yes, that does sound a bit odd.

I might be tempted to try a different OS (or at least a different
Linux distro) on the machine, just in case it highlights problems that
Ubuntu is ignoring, not seeing or not telling you about.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

"G. " 09-09-2012 04:33 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 September 2012 15:18, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well then there's something going on with this machine or
>> installation. I've read some others using Unity without much trouble
>> on this very machine and with less memory installed. I think all is
>> well with the memory and hard drive so there are some things slowing
>> it up.
>>
>> My only start up applications are drop box and the weather indicator,
>> which is not working any longer anyway. At the moment, running just
>> Midori, I am using 1.2 gigs of memory running 2D. Gnome system
>> monitor takes up quite a bit of cPU time but only from time to time.
>> I have seen it bounce up to 68% per System Monitor.
>
> Do bear in mind that the kernel will use a large chunk of any
> unoccupied memory for the disk cache. It leaves some RAM totally
> uncommitted so that if you load a large app, it can give the app that
> free space instantly without having to deallocate some of the disk
> cache then shrink it and free up memory that way.
>
> But yes, that does sound a bit odd.
>
> I might be tempted to try a different OS (or at least a different
> Linux distro) on the machine, just in case it highlights problems that
> Ubuntu is ignoring, not seeing or not telling you about.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

I've installed Lunbuntu 12.04. It is quick as a whip. File manager
opens in a heartbeat. I have not notice it highlighting any problems
relative to Ubuntu 12.04.


garyk

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Drac Noc 09-09-2012 08:53 PM

12.04 become unusable
 
On 09/09/12 17:33, G. wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 September 2012 15:18, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well then there's something going on with this machine or
>>> installation. I've read some others using Unity without much trouble
>>> on this very machine and with less memory installed. I think all is
>>> well with the memory and hard drive so there are some things slowing
>>> it up.
>>>
>>> My only start up applications are drop box and the weather indicator,
>>> which is not working any longer anyway. At the moment, running just
>>> Midori, I am using 1.2 gigs of memory running 2D. Gnome system
>>> monitor takes up quite a bit of cPU time but only from time to time.
>>> I have seen it bounce up to 68% per System Monitor.
>> Do bear in mind that the kernel will use a large chunk of any
>> unoccupied memory for the disk cache. It leaves some RAM totally
>> uncommitted so that if you load a large app, it can give the app that
>> free space instantly without having to deallocate some of the disk
>> cache then shrink it and free up memory that way.
>>
>> But yes, that does sound a bit odd.
>>
>> I might be tempted to try a different OS (or at least a different
>> Linux distro) on the machine, just in case it highlights problems that
>> Ubuntu is ignoring, not seeing or not telling you about.
>>
>> --
>> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
>> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
>> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
>> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> I've installed Lunbuntu 12.04. It is quick as a whip. File manager
> opens in a heartbeat. I have not notice it highlighting any problems
> relative to Ubuntu 12.04.
>
>
> garyk
>
I have an NC110 w/ 12.04. Unity was a show stopper so I reverted it back
to XFCE. The performance is much better. I haven't seen any performance
issues so far, but I do know there was a huge bug with the backlight
controls and some of the other Fn keys. It required a BIOS upgrade to
fix them.

That may have been resolved in 12.04 w/o the BIOS upgrade, but I had
hell with them in 11.10. Drop FreeDOS onto a USB with the BIOS .exe
file, then boot from USB, change to drive C: at the dos prompt and call
the .exe.

You'll need mains power and balls of steel - the NC110 gives off a lot
of system beeps as it upgrades.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.