Old 09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Ric Moore

Default 12.04 become unusable

On 09/09/2012 04:47 AM, Karl Auer wrote:

On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 09:41 +0200, G. wrote:

Chrome very slow to switch between tabs. It often takes 30-45
seconds. Firefox does the same thing. Midori performs better but
still slow. FF and chrome often exhibit typing lags.

Switching between desktops is quite slow as well. Sometimes it does
not work at all using control + arrow.

Just opening nautilus is very slow.

This all perfectly describes the symptoms I had using the default NVidia
driver that was installed, namely version 173.xx. I upgraded to the
so-called "current" version, 295.40 and all my problems went away. You
might get even better results from the "post-release updates" version,
since 295.40 is definitely not the latest version, but I haven't tried
that. Version 295.40 is good enough for me.

If you are using NVidia hardware:
- check that you are using at least version 295.40 of the driver.
- to install 295.40, run System-Settings -> Additional Drivers
and select the recommended current version.

If the OP ever installed the nVidia driver directly from the nVidia
web-site, in the past, he'll have to un-install it first. The two will
fight like mad and crash and burn in terrible ways. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
"G. "

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Drac Noc <drac.noc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/09/12 17:33, G. wrote:

>>> Do bear in mind that the kernel will use a large chunk of any
>>> unoccupied memory for the disk cache. It leaves some RAM totally
>>> uncommitted so that if you load a large app, it can give the app that
>>> free space instantly without having to deallocate some of the disk
>>> cache then shrink it and free up memory that way.
>>>
>>> But yes, that does sound a bit odd.
>>>
>>> I might be tempted to try a different OS (or at least a different
>>> Linux distro) on the machine, just in case it highlights problems that
>>> Ubuntu is ignoring, not seeing or not telling you about.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
>>> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
>>> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
>>> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884
>>>
>>> --
>> I've installed Lunbuntu 12.04. It is quick as a whip. File manager
>> opens in a heartbeat. I have not notice it highlighting any problems
>> relative to Ubuntu 12.04.
>>

>> garyk
>>
> I have an NC110 w/ 12.04. Unity was a show stopper so I reverted it back
> to XFCE. The performance is much better. I haven't seen any performance
> issues so far, but I do know there was a huge bug with the backlight
> controls and some of the other Fn keys. It required a BIOS upgrade to
> fix them.
>
> That may have been resolved in 12.04 w/o the BIOS upgrade, but I had
> hell with them in 11.10. Drop FreeDOS onto a USB with the BIOS .exe
> file, then boot from USB, change to drive C: at the dos prompt and call
> the .exe.
>
> You'll need mains power and balls of steel - the NC110 gives off a lot
> of system beeps as it upgrades.
>
> --

So I am not the only one with this sort of problem. Oddly, perhaps,
it is working just fine right now. There was a kernel update
yesterday and since then it's well within the range of being
acceptable even in Unity. I will use it until I have problems and
report back.

Am I right, though, in thinking that a kernel change can improve performance?

garyk