Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Robert Spanjaard

Default Update-manager produces segmentation fault

On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly won't
run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier today from
the "updates available" notification. It used the CPU for a couple of
seconds, and then I got the "crash detected" notification.
When I try to run update-manager from the command line, I get
"Segmentation fault (core dumped)".

Some things I already considered:
1. Update Manager is the only program that fails. Other package managers
like Software Center, apt-get and Synaptic run flawlessly.
2. Memtest doesn't report any errors. Still, I tried a spare memory
module just to be safe, but I got the same error.
3. Through Google, I found that removing the contents of /var/cache/apt
solved the problem for some people. But not for me.
4. I tried reinstalling update-manager and update-manager-core from
freshly downloaded packages (ofcourse, after point 3, the cache was
empty). Still got the same error. :-(

Any ideas left for me to try?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Colin Law

On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly won't
> run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier today from
> the "updates available" notification. It used the CPU for a couple of
> seconds, and then I got the "crash detected" notification.

On the crash detection dialog is there a Details option? If so what
does it say?

Do you get the option of reporting the crash? If so then do that and
it may tell you if it is a known bug.

Colin

Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Liam Proven

On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly won't
> run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier today from
> the "updates available" notification. It used the CPU for a couple of
> seconds, and then I got the "crash detected" notification.
> When I try to run update-manager from the command line, I get
> "Segmentation fault (core dumped)".
>
> Some things I already considered:
> 1. Update Manager is the only program that fails. Other package managers
> like Software Center, apt-get and Synaptic run flawlessly.
> 2. Memtest doesn't report any errors. Still, I tried a spare memory
> module just to be safe, but I got the same error.
> 3. Through Google, I found that removing the contents of /var/cache/apt
> solved the problem for some people. But not for me.
> 4. I tried reinstalling update-manager and update-manager-core from
> freshly downloaded packages (ofcourse, after point 3, the cache was
> empty). Still got the same error. :-(
>
> Any ideas left for me to try?

Try a full update from the command line:

sudo -s

# clean up beforehand

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade -y

# clean up again afterwards

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove
apt-get purge

Then reboot:

shutdown -r now

See if it's any better.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:00:18 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
>> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly
>> won't run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier
>> today from the "updates available" notification. It used the CPU for a
>> couple of seconds, and then I got the "crash detected" notification.
>
> On the crash detection dialog is there a Details option? If so what
> does it say?

In short: a lot. Are you looking for specific information?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:56:11 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
>> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly
>> won't run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier
[...]
>> Any ideas left for me to try?
>
> Try a full update from the command line:
>
> sudo -s
>
> # clean up beforehand
>
> apt-get clean apt-get autoclean apt-get autoremove apt-get purge apt-get
> update apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>
> # clean up again afterwards
>
> apt-get clean apt-get autoclean apt-get autoremove apt-get purge
>
> Then reboot:
>
> shutdown -r now
>
> See if it's any better.

Sadly, it isn't. Thanks for the suggestion though.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:00:18 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
>> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly
>> won't run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it earlier
>> today from the "updates available" notification. It used the CPU for a
>> couple of seconds, and then I got the "crash detected" notification.
>
> On the crash detection dialog is there a Details option? If so what
> does it say?
>
> Do you get the option of reporting the crash? If so then do that and it
> may tell you if it is a known bug.

I checked the "send report" box, but didn't get any information
afterwards. It only asked me if I encountered the issue during an
upgrade, I answered No, and that's the last thing I saw from the reporter.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Avi Greenbury

Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 22:00:18 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>
> > On 8 September 2012 21:51, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com>
> > wrote:
> >> On my netbook with Xubuntu 12.04 installed, update-manager suddenly
> >> won't run anymore. I first noticed it when I tried to run it
> >> earlier today from the "updates available" notification. It used
> >> the CPU for a couple of seconds, and then I got the "crash
> >> detected" notification.
> >
> > On the crash detection dialog is there a Details option? If so what
> > does it say?
>
> In short: a lot. Are you looking for specific information?

Somewhere in there will (normally) be the reason for the crash. Could
you paste the contents into

paste.ubuntu.com

and put the returned URL in a response?

--
Avi

Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 23:38:44 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:

>> > On the crash detection dialog is there a Details option? If so what
>> > does it say?
>>
>> In short: a lot. Are you looking for specific information?
>
> Somewhere in there will (normally) be the reason for the crash. Could
> you paste the contents into
>
> paste.ubuntu.com
>
> and put the returned URL in a response?

How do you paste the information from the details window? You can't
select/copy the text in any way (unless I'm missing something).
Would it help if I put the coredump online instead?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com