Old 09-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default Last of my Questions About 12.04.1 LTS (for now)

Folks,

OK I have completed all the research and now have only the following questions:

1. If Xscreensaver is running how do I disable the locking? I have tried all the
settings I can find, yet when I close my laptop with it plugged in and not
running on battery. When I close the lid it will require a password when the lid
is opened. The only way I have found is to disable the screen saver.

2. I have Xfce4-session and GNOME packages (-shell, -session-fallback and
-session) installed; will removing them cause any serious problems with the
Unity desktop?

Yep, Unity won this one.

Cheers,
Jay
--

Jay Ridgley
jridgley2@austin.rr.com

Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Avi Greenbury

Jay Ridgley wrote:
> 1. If Xscreensaver is running how do I disable the locking? I have
> tried all the settings I can find, yet when I close my laptop with it
> plugged in and not running on battery. When I close the lid it will
> require a password when the lid is opened. The only way I have found
> is to disable the screen saver.

There's a configuration for the locking of the screen in XScreensaver's
settings; are you sure you're using xscreensaver and not
gnome-screensaver?

Also, have you checked the power management settings; you may have
those configured to lock the screen when the lid is closed.

> 2. I have Xfce4-session and GNOME packages (-shell, -session-fallback
> and -session) installed; will removing them cause any serious
> problems with the Unity desktop?

No, you should be fine. None will interfere, either, though.

When uninstalling you'll be presented with a list of packages that're
to be removed, check this for ubuntu-desktop and, if it's not there,
then the desktop will be preserved.

--
Avi

Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Jay Ridgley

Message: 5 Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:05:47 +0100
1. If Xscreensaver is running how do I disable the locking? I have
tried all the settings I can find, yet when I close my laptop with it
plugged in and not running on battery. When I close the lid it will
require a password when the lid is opened. The only way I have found
is to disable the screen saver.

There's a configuration for the locking of the screen in XScreensaver's
settings; are you sure you're using xscreensaver and not
gnome-screensaver?

I am sure that I am using XScreensaver. It was installed at the same time I
removed gnome-screensaver while following a how to I found.

I also configured the XScreensaver per instructions from the man page.

Also, have you checked the power management settings; you may have
those configured to lock the screen when the lid is closed.

I have verified power management settings are as I want them (on suspend when
not on battery power do nothing)

2. I have Xfce4-session and GNOME packages (-shell, -session-fallback
and -session) installed; will removing them cause any serious
problems with the Unity desktop?

No, you should be fine. None will interfere, either, though.

When uninstalling you'll be presented with a list of packages that're
to be removed, check this for ubuntu-desktop and, if it's not there,
then the desktop will be preserved.

-- Av

Thanks for the removal tip.

Cheers,