Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default What to back up before upgrading?

I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
/usr/share/ directory).

What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
the new system?

I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
/home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
I need from my external backup later.

Any input appreciated (except flame-war stuff).

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Liam Proven

On 8 September 2012 15:05, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
> somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
> separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
> stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
> thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
> in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
> and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
> obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
> /usr/share/ directory).
>
> What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
> the new system?
>
> I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
> /home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
> If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
> I need from my external backup later.

No, going over the top of / while keeping /home is absolutely
standard, it's what I usually do.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Chris Green

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 04:05:41PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
> somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
> separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
> stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
> thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
> in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
> and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
> obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
> /usr/share/ directory).
>
> What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
> the new system?

I find it useful to make a copy of /etc as there are bits of
customisation there, it's rarely very large so space isn't an issue,
just copy the whole lot.

If you have any databases (mysql etc.) they're in /var which can be a
bit of a pain to backup, but those databases aren't anywhere else.

Finally if you have any custom software additions in /usr/local you need
to back them up.

> I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
> /home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
> If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
> I need from my external backup later.

That's the way I do it when I want a good 'clean out'.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Phil Dobbin

Chris Green wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 04:05:41PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
>> somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
>> separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
>> stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
>> thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
>> in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
>> and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
>> obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
>> /usr/share/ directory).
>>
>> What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
>> the new system?
>>
> I find it useful to make a copy of /etc as there are bits of
> customisation there, it's rarely very large so space isn't an issue,
> just copy the whole lot.
>
> If you have any databases (mysql etc.) they're in /var which can be a
> bit of a pain to backup, but those databases aren't anywhere else.
>
> Finally if you have any custom software additions in /usr/local you need
> to back them up.
>
>> I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
>> /home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
>> If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
>> I need from my external backup later.
>>
> That's the way I do it when I want a good 'clean out'.

You may also like to consider doing a full backup with something like
mondoarchive so if the worst comes to the worst, you can do a bare metal
restore & ponder over your options.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise

Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/9 Phil Dobbin <bukowskiscat@gmail.com>:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 04:05:41PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>> I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
>>> somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
>>> separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
>>> stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
>>> thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
>>> in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
>>> and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
>>> obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
>>> /usr/share/ directory).
>>>
>>> What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
>>> the new system?
>>>
>> I find it useful to make a copy of /etc as there are bits of
>> customisation there, it's rarely very large so space isn't an issue,
>> just copy the whole lot.
>>
>> If you have any databases (mysql etc.) they're in /var which can be a
>> bit of a pain to backup, but those databases aren't anywhere else.
>>
>> Finally if you have any custom software additions in /usr/local you need
>> to back them up.
>>
>>> I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
>>> /home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
>>> If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
>>> I need from my external backup later.
>>>
>> That's the way I do it when I want a good 'clean out'.
>
> You may also like to consider doing a full backup with something like
> mondoarchive so if the worst comes to the worst, you can do a bare metal
> restore & ponder over your options.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil...

Well, I have three working computers (and three broken ones) so in
worst case I can always use one of the others while figuring out what
to do next.
Anyway, I just installed 12.04 and I have quite a lot of problems with
it already, but nothing worse than it's totally unusable, for instance
it seems like my own keyboard layout works sometimes and sometimes
not. Now is the "not" situation. No compose key, and the wrong layout
is being used. I guess that will result in a few new annoying threads
on this mailing list.

Johnny

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/08/2012 10:26 AM, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I'd be cautious with the old "dot-config" files in your home directory.
I agree that some old custom bits in /etc should be backed up as well,
but again, a lot has changed since 10.10, and I can never keep up. So,
very cautious restores is the bigger deal, to my perspectives. You might
do your restores to a directory like /opt and then diff the old config
files with the newly installed ones, to make sure you won't blow
something up using the old and busted.

"New hotness ...old and busted."

Oh yeah, your email and firefox bookmarks. If something goes ape, you
can aways recover. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/9/10 Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>:
> On 09/08/2012 10:26 AM, Chris Green wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 04:05:41PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>>
>>> I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
>>> somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
>>> separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
>>> stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
>>> thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
>>> in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
>>> and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
>>> obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
>>> /usr/share/ directory).
>>>
>>> What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
>>> the new system?
>>>
>> I find it useful to make a copy of /etc as there are bits of
>> customisation there, it's rarely very large so space isn't an issue,
>> just copy the whole lot.
>>
>> If you have any databases (mysql etc.) they're in /var which can be a
>> bit of a pain to backup, but those databases aren't anywhere else.
>>
>> Finally if you have any custom software additions in /usr/local you need
>> to back them up.
>>
>>> I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
>>> /home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
>>> If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
>>> I need from my external backup later.
>>>
>> That's the way I do it when I want a good 'clean out'.
>

> I'd be cautious with the old "dot-config" files in your home directory. I
> agree that some old custom bits in /etc should be backed up as well, but
> again, a lot has changed since 10.10, and I can never keep up. So, very
> cautious restores is the bigger deal, to my perspectives. You might do your
> restores to a directory like /opt and then diff the old config files with
> the newly installed ones, to make sure you won't blow something up using the
> old and busted.

Well, the stuff I saved from outside of my home directory is more like
”if there is something that I didn't think of that I need, I can
always try to get those files from my backup”. It's nothing
complicated. So far it's just some code snippets for the Gedit
snippets plugin that I will recover the next time I need it. I doubt
that will be a problem. They are stored in rather simple xml files.

> "New hotness ...old and busted."
>
> Oh yeah, your email and firefox bookmarks. If something goes ape, you can
> aways recover. Ric

I don't save email on my drives, I let them stay out there, so as long
as I can run a web browser my mail are save (unless Google don't mess
them up somehow…).
My web browser (Opera, not Firefox) synchronize bookmarks, speed dials
and a whole lot more with my other laptop (which also runs Opera, of
course), so I guess those are acceptably (if there is such a word…)
safe too.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Chris Green

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 03:34:06AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/08/2012 10:26 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> >On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 04:05:41PM +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> >>I am finally going to replace my very old Ubuntu 10.10 with the
> >>somewhat newer Ubuntu 12.04 on my main laptop. I have /home on a
> >>separate partition and I have an external backup of all my ”important”
> >>stuff (most of the things kept in $HOME). Whan tryng toplan the whoel
> >>thing I realised that there are some things I want to keep that's not
> >>in $HOME, for example my Gedit snippets of the code snippets plugin,
> >>and they seem to be located at /usr/share/gedit-2/plugins, so
> >>obviously I need to backup that directory too (maybe the whole
> >>/usr/share/ directory).
> >>
> >>What more would I probably want to backup before I start installing
> >>the new system?
> >>
> >I find it useful to make a copy of /etc as there are bits of
> >customisation there, it's rarely very large so space isn't an issue,
> >just copy the whole lot.
> >
> >If you have any databases (mysql etc.) they're in /var which can be a
> >bit of a pain to backup, but those databases aren't anywhere else.
> >
> >Finally if you have any custom software additions in /usr/local you need
> >to back them up.
> >
> >>I will install the Ubuntu 12.04 from scratch, but I'm going to keep my
> >>/home partition, if nobody tells me that it would be a very bad idea.
> >>If so, I will install the whole thing from scratch and then copy what
> >>I need from my external backup later.
> >>
> >That's the way I do it when I want a good 'clean out'.
>
> I'd be cautious with the old "dot-config" files in your home
> directory. I agree that some old custom bits in /etc should be
> backed up as well, but again, a lot has changed since 10.10, and I
> can never keep up. So, very cautious restores is the bigger deal, to

Yes, yes, you don't blindly copy the configuration files over the new
12.04 ones, but you can go and look at the old files and see what
customisation you have added over the years. If you don't have copies
of the old files you have to "re-invent the wheel".

--
Chris Green

Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/11/2012 04:41 AM, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Which is far better than breaking the wheel, and hoping someone can
remotely divine the problems resulting, on a email-list. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html