-   -   fsck on mounted system? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/701377-fsck-mounted-system.html)

oxy 09-07-2012 09:38 AM

fsck on mounted system?

Hi,

it is nowadays common to have a big partition in your system with
almost everything. When you have some energy blackouts and
want to check for the integrity of your discs, how do you do it?

thx...

Nils Kassube 09-07-2012 10:16 AM

fsck on mounted system?

oxy wrote:
> it is nowadays common to have a big partition in your system with
> almost everything. When you have some energy blackouts and
> want to check for the integrity of your discs, how do you do it?

Use the command

sudo touch /forcefsck

and then the filesystem should be checked at the next reboot.

Nils

Yorvyk 09-07-2012 10:17 AM

fsck on mounted system?

it is nowadays common to have a big partition in your system with
almost everything. When you have some energy blackouts and
want to check for the integrity of your discs, how do you do it?

thx.

This can be done either by booting a live Cd or USB and running fsck
from there. Or booting into 'Recovery Mode' from the Grub menu and
selecting 'Check all files systems' from the menu.

Dave Howorth 09-07-2012 10:19 AM

fsck on mounted system?

oxy wrote:
> it is nowadays common to have a big partition in your system with
> almost everything. When you have some energy blackouts and
> want to check for the integrity of your discs, how do you do it?

Buy a UPS?

oxy 09-07-2012 10:26 AM

fsck on mounted system?

> sudo touch /forcefsck
>
> and then the filesystem should be checked at the next reboot.

is there a way to force fsck on shutdown?

Liam Proven 09-07-2012 10:43 AM

fsck on mounted system?

On 7 September 2012 10:38, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is nowadays common to have a big partition in your system with
> almost everything. When you have some energy blackouts and
> want to check for the integrity of your discs, how do you do it?

Don't have one big partition. :¬)

At least until Ubuntu adopts swap*files*, you need a separate swap
partition anyway - so if you're creating 2, keep going and separate
/home off as well. There are a number of benefits to doing this,
notably when it comes to dual-booting and upgrading your OS.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Nils Kassube 09-07-2012 12:28 PM

fsck on mounted system?

oxy wrote:
> > sudo touch /forcefsck
> >
> > and then the filesystem should be checked at the next reboot.
>
> is there a way to force fsck on shutdown?

I don't think so. At least I didn't read about such an option until now.

Nils

Basil Chupin 09-07-2012 01:12 PM

fsck on mounted system?