Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Karl Auer

Default WMV file won't play - kills players!

I have a WMV file from the Twilight Zone. It's sourced off a Sony
digital video camera. The file plays fine under Windows, but kills every
Linux player I try to play it with.

- Totem just dies; window closes.

- VLC doesn't close, but it does not play the file and a system error
comes up that suggests a subprocess has died unexpectedly.

- if I try to convert the file with ffmpeg or avconf, they say that
"Interlaced frames/fields support is incomplete"

- if I try to load the file into kino, the conversion dies (I presume
Kino is using or similar under the hood)

- if I try to load the file into Lombard or pitivi, they die (window
closes).

- avidemux loads the file, and shows plausible information about it, but
reports a file size of only 9.44 MB. It even plays the file - except
that every frame is blank green :-)

Here's the kicker though - if I try to get the properties in Nautilus
(right-click, then select "Properties") Nautilus dies! As in boom, no
more desktop icons, no more file manager windows.

The file is not unduly large - around 310MB or so. I can copy it in
Unix, or drag and drop it in Nautilus, so it is the content rather than
the package that is causing problems. The "file" program reports the
file as being "Microsoft ASF".

Any clues out there?

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687

Old 09-07-2012, 01:34 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:29:41 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:

> I have a WMV file from the Twilight Zone. It's sourced off a Sony
> digital video camera. The file plays fine under Windows, but kills
> every Linux player I try to play it with.
>
> - Totem just dies; window closes.
>
> - VLC doesn't close, but it does not play the file and a system error
> comes up that suggests a subprocess has died unexpectedly.
>
> - if I try to convert the file with ffmpeg or avconf, they say that
> "Interlaced frames/fields support is incomplete"
>
> - if I try to load the file into kino, the conversion dies (I presume
> Kino is using or similar under the hood)
>
> - if I try to load the file into Lombard or pitivi, they die (window
> closes).
>
> - avidemux loads the file, and shows plausible information about it,
> but reports a file size of only 9.44 MB. It even plays the file -
> except that every frame is blank green :-)
>
> Here's the kicker though - if I try to get the properties in Nautilus
> (right-click, then select "Properties") Nautilus dies! As in boom, no
> more desktop icons, no more file manager windows.
>
> The file is not unduly large - around 310MB or so. I can copy it in
> Unix, or drag and drop it in Nautilus, so it is the content rather
> than the package that is causing problems. The "file" program reports
> the file as being "Microsoft ASF".
>
> Any clues out there?
>
> Regards, K.

Try xine.

being "barely capable" on a Linux system is better than
being "expert" on a Windows system.
crankypuss

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:34:33 -0500
"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:29:41 +1000
> Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I have a WMV file from the Twilight Zone. It's sourced off a Sony
> > digital video camera. The file plays fine under Windows, but kills
> > every Linux player I try to play it with.
> >
> > - Totem just dies; window closes.
> >
> > - VLC doesn't close, but it does not play the file and a system
> > error comes up that suggests a subprocess has died unexpectedly.
> >
> > - if I try to convert the file with ffmpeg or avconf, they say that
> > "Interlaced frames/fields support is incomplete"
> >
> > - if I try to load the file into kino, the conversion dies (I
> > presume Kino is using or similar under the hood)
> >
> > - if I try to load the file into Lombard or pitivi, they die (window
> > closes).
> >
> > - avidemux loads the file, and shows plausible information about it,
> > but reports a file size of only 9.44 MB. It even plays the file -
> > except that every frame is blank green :-)
> >
> > Here's the kicker though - if I try to get the properties in
> > Nautilus (right-click, then select "Properties") Nautilus dies! As
> > in boom, no more desktop icons, no more file manager windows.
> >
> > The file is not unduly large - around 310MB or so. I can copy it in
> > Unix, or drag and drop it in Nautilus, so it is the content rather
> > than the package that is causing problems. The "file" program
> > reports the file as being "Microsoft ASF".
> >
> > Any clues out there?
> >
> > Regards, K.
> >
> Try xine.

failing that, here are instructions for conversion from this year and
Ubuntu:
<http://www.ehow.com/how_5234211_convert-asf-mp-linux.html>

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 09-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Karl Auer

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 20:39 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > Try xine.

Thanks - next time :-)

> failing that, here are instructions for conversion from this year and
> Ubuntu:
> <http://www.ehow.com/how_5234211_convert-asf-mp-linux.html>

This discusses the ASF format, but what I have is a WMV file (video, not
just audio). The sound in it may be ASF, but I would have to extract the
sound befre passing it to lame, and the problem isn't actually the
sound. avidemux actually plays the correct sound.

The file was acquired from the camera using Windows. I have just
re-acquired it using dvgrab, and all is well.