Old 09-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Liam Proven

Default Questions and help requested for Ubuntu 12.04.1 Classic Gnome Desktop Settings

On 6 September 2012 15:58, Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am trying to set up a 12.04.1 LTS Classic Gnome desktop that functions
> the same as my 10.04.4 LTS system using the Gnome desktop (default install).

You can't, not directly. GNOME 2 is dead. GNOME 3 is the current
version and does not support the GNOME 2 desktop layout; the closes is
Fallback Mode, intended for people without 3D accelerator cards in
their computers. Fallback mode is a standby, bearing only a cosmetic
resemblance to GNOME 2; it cannot be customised as much and it is
based on Gtk3 and so cannot run Gtk2 applets from GNOME 2.

Your best bet is to switch to Xubuntu. The Xfce desktop is modern,
supported, can be configured to look like GNOME 2 and can run GNOME 2
applets.

That, or just get used to Unity. It's a very good, capable, powerful
desktop, honestly.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Douglas Pollard

I am trying to set up a 12.04.1 LTS Classic Gnome desktop that functions
the same as my 10.04.4 LTS system using the Gnome desktop (default install).

You can't, not directly. GNOME 2 is dead. GNOME 3 is the current
version and does not support the GNOME 2 desktop layout; the closes is
Fallback Mode, intended for people without 3D accelerator cards in
their computers. Fallback mode is a standby, bearing only a cosmetic
resemblance to GNOME 2; it cannot be customised as much and it is
based on Gtk3 and so cannot run Gtk2 applets from GNOME 2.

Your best bet is to switch to Xubuntu. The Xfce desktop is modern,
supported, can be configured to look like GNOME 2 and can run GNOME 2
applets.

That, or just get used to Unity. It's a very good, capable, powerful
desktop, honestly.

Liam I have a question that fits right into this thread. My hardware
can't support unity. I miss the terminal for loading programs
and drivers. Do you think those programs will all go to PPA to
compensate. Doug

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Liam Proven

On 6 September 2012 17:13, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Liam I have a question that fits right into this thread. My hardware can't
> support unity.

If you run 12.04 (or the previous version) and you don't have a 3D
card for normal Unity, you get Unity-2D instead. It looks and works
pretty much identically.

> I miss the terminal for loading programs
> and drivers.

All versions of Ubuntu still have a terminal. Either press the Windows
key, or the top icon in the Launcher with the Ubuntu logo, and type
"terminal" and the icon will appear - actually, "ter" is probably
enough.

Or, just press Ctrl-Alt-t.

> Do you think those programs will all go to PPA to compensate.

Most of the components that are no longer installed by default with
Ubuntu are still in the standard repositories. You don't need PPAs.

For instance, the Pidgin chat client (which I personally prefer) is no
longer installed and Empathy has replaced it. You can still install
Pidgin by typing

sudo apt-get install pidgin

... Or by entering "Pidgin" in the Software Centre.

Ditto Evolution, which has been replaced by Thunderbird.

But not many programs have been removed - certainly things like the
Terminal are still there.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Douglas Pollard

[...]

Thanks, that is solved for me. I kept reading the terminal is gone and
wondering how that is going to work. Doug

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Robert Holtzm

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 12:35:02PM -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:

> Thanks, that is solved for me. I kept reading the terminal is gone
> and wondering how that is going to work. Doug

Doug,
Out of curiosity, where did you read this?

Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,
check the price of the beer.
Key ID: 8D549279