Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Liviu Andronic

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04 (procps)

(starting a new thread)

Hello
I've run into similar hell when upgrading from Lucid to Precise (and
essentially following the instructions and the release notes). My
issues are not dissimilar to the 'lxde' ones reported here, although
more serious.

Bottom line is that the upgrade botched up, 3.2.0 cannot be booted
fully ('mountall' fails) to a virtual console, and I can operate the
new Precise only from a chroot environment. For more info on this
particular case see my xubuntu-users post [1].
[1] http://www.mentby.com/Group/xubuntu-users/failure-to-upgrade-from-1004-to-12041.html

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> Have you ever pastebin'ed the full output of the following commands?
>
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Following your suggestions (and several others in this thread) here is
the output that I get:
cat /var/log/dist-upgrade/ : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187299/
dpkg --configure -a : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187465/
apt-get -fy install : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187482/
apt-get dist-upgrade : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187510/
dpkg --get-selections : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187518/

From inspecting the output it seems to me that the first error
concerns the configuration of procps:
Setting up procps (1:3.2.8-11ubuntu6) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing procps (--configure):

Any ideas on how to deal with these errors? Should I report this on
Launchpad? Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:47:19 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bottom line is that the upgrade botched up, 3.2.0 cannot be booted
> fully ('mountall' fails) to a virtual console, and I can operate the
> new Precise only from a chroot environment. For more info on this
> particular case see my xubuntu-users post [1].
> [1]
> http://www.mentby.com/Group/xubuntu-users/failure-to-upgrade-from-1004-to-12041.html

the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...

try to remove all traces of the handbrake packages your apt complains
about using dpkg -r and see if that improves things ... due to
handbrake behaving evil in your system the upgrade of your upstart
(init) could not finish, getting that in order again will be a little
harder though ...

conclusion: handle PPA packages with extreme care, only install bits
from packagers that you trust ... this is definitely not the fault of
ubuntu ...

ciao
oli

Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Liviu Andronic

Hello

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
> third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
> according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...
>
> try to remove all traces of the handbrake packages your apt complains
> about using dpkg -r and see if that improves things ... due to
> handbrake behaving evil in your system the upgrade of your upstart
> (init) could not finish, getting that in order again will be a little
> harder though ...

I removed the handbrake* packages so that now dpkg doesn't complain
about handbrake related errors. But I'm not sure that this is what is
blocking the upgrade. I get the same error messages minus the
'handbrake' parts:
Setting up procps (1:3.2.8-11ubuntu6) ...
initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing procps (--configure):
[..]

Could this be happening because I am operating Ubuntu from a chroot
environment? In addition to chrooting, should I somehow initialize
something Ubuntu specific? (See '/com/ubuntu/upstart' above.)

Regards
Liviu

Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
NoOp

On 09/06/2012 02:04 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:47:19 +0200
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bottom line is that the upgrade botched up, 3.2.0 cannot be booted
>> fully ('mountall' fails) to a virtual console, and I can operate the
>> new Precise only from a chroot environment. For more info on this
>> particular case see my xubuntu-users post [1].
>> [1]
>> http://www.mentby.com/Group/xubuntu-users/failure-to-upgrade-from-1004-to-12041.html
>>

> the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
> third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
> according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...

Oliver, the upgrade process is "supposed" to disable all ppa's prior to
the upgrade. Those should show something along the lines of " disabled
on upgrade to <revision>".

@ liviu: <http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187465/>
====
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
3.2.0-30-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-30-generic
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-30-generic
W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.

gzip: stdout: No space left on device
====
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gzip%3A+stdout%3A+No+space+left+on+device>

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Liviu Andronic

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
>> third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
>> according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...
>
> Oliver, the upgrade process is "supposed" to disable all ppa's prior to
> the upgrade. Those should show something along the lines of " disabled
> on upgrade to <revision>".

As far as I can tell the 'sources.list' is clean. See [1].
[1] http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190321/

> @ liviu: <http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187465/>
> ====
> run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
> 3.2.0-30-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-30-generic
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-30-generic
> W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
>
> gzip: stdout: No space left on device
> ====
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gzip%3A+stdout%3A+No+space+left+on+device>

No, that's no longer a problem. I've already dealt with this, and it
only concerned the separate 'boot' partition. I removed some of the
older kernels and now there are no longer any space issues: [2].
[2] http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190322/

It seems to me that the core problem revolves around the:
"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
invoke-rc.d: initscript procps, action "start" failed."

error message, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. There is a bug
that is supposed to have dealt with this, [3] but I obviously still
get this issue in Precise.
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/602896

Some more on this.. I've finally managed to boot the 3.2.0 kernel
(*not* a chroot) to a console by replacing the kernel parameters:
ro single

with
rw single init=/bin/bash

So now I can boot Precise to a console with rw permissions on /. [4]
However installing 'procps' or 'cron' fail with the exact same error
message: "Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused". This suggests to me that the
whole upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d machinery hasn't been initialized in
the session and the install scripts for several packages fail because
of that.

If I try the following I get an error message:
# start procps
start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

If I try the following I also get an error message:
# upstart-socket-bridge
upstart-socket-bridge: Couldn't connect to Upstart: Failed to connect
to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

Does anyone know how to initialize the upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d
machinery in an Ubuntu session?

Anyways, here is an updated list of log files reflecting the current
state of the machine:
cat /var/log/dist-upgrade/ : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187299/
dpkg --configure -a : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190416/
apt-get -fy install : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190423/
apt-get -y dist-upgrade : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190427/
dpkg --get-selections : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1190436/

Regards
Liviu

[4] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LostPassword

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2012, 15:39 -0700 schrieb NoOp:
> On 09/06/2012 02:04 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:47:19 +0200
> > Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Bottom line is that the upgrade botched up, 3.2.0 cannot be booted
> >> fully ('mountall' fails) to a virtual console, and I can operate the
> >> new Precise only from a chroot environment. For more info on this
> >> particular case see my xubuntu-users post [1].
> >> [1]
> >> http://www.mentby.com/Group/xubuntu-users/failure-to-upgrade-from-1004-to-12041.html
> >>

> > the logs in your blogpost show that you serem to have installed a
> > third party package from some PPA that wasnt properly packaged
> > according to debian standards (PPAs should really be used with care) ...
>
> Oliver, the upgrade process is "supposed" to disable all ppa's prior to
> the upgrade. Those should show something along the lines of " disabled
> on upgrade to <revision>".
right, it didnt do that in this case apparently so there is definitely a
bug ... update-manager is also supposed to be calculating the available
and needed space prior the update and warn the user about it if it
doesnt fit ....

though shame on me that i didnt spot the out of space error

ciao
oli

Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
NoOp

On 09/07/2012 02:06 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

> So now I can boot Precise to a console with rw permissions on /. [4]
> However installing 'procps' or 'cron' fail with the exact same error
> message: "Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
> /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused". This suggests to me that the
> whole upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d machinery hasn't been initialized in
> the session and the install scripts for several packages fail because
> of that.
>
> If I try the following I get an error message:
> # start procps
> start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
> /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
>
> If I try the following I also get an error message:
> # upstart-socket-bridge
> upstart-socket-bridge: Couldn't connect to Upstart: Failed to connect
> to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused

I see you got this sorted out:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/602896/comments/18>

Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 02:06 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>>
>> So now I can boot Precise to a console with rw permissions on /. [4]
>> However installing 'procps' or 'cron' fail with the exact same error
>> message: "Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
>> /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused". This suggests to me that the
>> whole upstart/initctl/invoke-rc.d machinery hasn't been initialized in
>> the session and the install scripts for several packages fail because
>> of that.
>>
>> If I try the following I get an error message:
>> # start procps
>> start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
>> /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
>>
>> If I try the following I also get an error message:
>> # upstart-socket-bridge
>> upstart-socket-bridge: Couldn't connect to Upstart: Failed to connect
>> to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
>
> I see you got this sorted out:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/602896/comments/18>

Almost.. I indeed managed to complete the upgrade by following the
suggestion in comment 17 in the bug above: There are no more packages
to configure/update/install.

However, I'm still unable to boot Precise. Using default kernel
parameters (for 3.2.0) I get the following messages:
[..]
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
could not log bootup: Address already in use
[ 10.1 ] init: plymouth main process (327) terminated with status 69
mount: Too many levels of symbolic links
mountall: mount /run [349] terminated with status 32
mountall: Filesystem could not be mounted: /run
An error occurred while mounting /run.

Then I press S to skip mounting and I get the following:
The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present.
Skipping /run at user request
udevd[359]: error: runtime dir '/run/dev/' not writable, for now
falling back to '/dev/.udev'

Next I press M for manual recovery and get this:
Root filesystem check failed.
A maintenance shell will now be started.

All this looks strange to me, as I force checked / (and all other FS)
and they're all clean. I'm wondering though if after installing all
the packages there were some Precise-specific scripts that didn't get
executed to prepare the new OS. Among other things, perhaps /etc/fstab
didn't get updated? (Here's my current /etc/fstab:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191361/ )

Should I run 'do-release-upgrade' again?

Regards
Liviu

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM
NoOp

On 09/07/2012 11:43 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM, NoOp ...
>> I see you got this sorted out:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/procps/+bug/602896/comments/18>
>>
> Almost.. I indeed managed to complete the upgrade by following the
> suggestion in comment 17 in the bug above: There are no more packages
> to configure/update/install.
>
> However, I'm still unable to boot Precise. Using default kernel
> parameters (for 3.2.0) I get the following messages:
> [..]
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
> could not log bootup: Address already in use
> [ 10.1 ] init: plymouth main process (327) terminated with status 69
> mount: Too many levels of symbolic links
> mountall: mount /run [349] terminated with status 32
> mountall: Filesystem could not be mounted: /run
> An error occurred while mounting /run.

Are you able to boot to recovery mode? If so, can you try the dpkg option?

> Then I press S to skip mounting and I get the following:
> The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present.
> Skipping /run at user request
> udevd[359]: error: runtime dir '/run/dev/' not writable, for now
> falling back to '/dev/.udev'
>

> Next I press M for manual recovery and get this:
> Root filesystem check failed.
> A maintenance shell will now be started.

That sounds like the cryptswap issue:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/874774>
if so, then generally it will time out after a moment or two.

> All this looks strange to me, as I force checked / (and all other FS)
> and they're all clean. I'm wondering though if after installing all
> the packages there were some Precise-specific scripts that didn't get
> executed to prepare the new OS. Among other things, perhaps /etc/fstab
> didn't get updated? (Here's my current /etc/fstab:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191361/ )

Do the UUID's match against:

$ sudo blkid

And does
$ sudo fdisk -l
show the cryptswap?

> Should I run 'do-release-upgrade' again?

Try the recovery dpkg option first.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 11:43 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>> However, I'm still unable to boot Precise. Using default kernel
>> parameters (for 3.2.0) I get the following messages:
>> [..]
>> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
>> could not log bootup: Address already in use
>> [ 10.1 ] init: plymouth main process (327) terminated with status 69
>> mount: Too many levels of symbolic links
>> mountall: mount /run [349] terminated with status 32
>> mountall: Filesystem could not be mounted: /run
>> An error occurred while mounting /run.
>
> Are you able to boot to recovery mode?

No, not really. If I try to boot with default kernel options (the
'recovery' variant), then the booting gets stuck as described earlier
at mounting the various partitions. The only way to get myself on a
console is to use the 'rw init=/bin/bash' kernel parameters which
let's me fall back to a console with 'rw' permission on /. This is not
quite the recovery mode.

> If so, can you try the dpkg option?

I'm not sure that I follow. How do I do that? Is this a kernel
parameter, or some other option?

>> Then I press S to skip mounting and I get the following:
>> The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present.
>> Skipping /run at user request
>> udevd[359]: error: runtime dir '/run/dev/' not writable, for now
>> falling back to '/dev/.udev'
>>

>> Next I press M for manual recovery and get this:
>> Root filesystem check failed.
>> A maintenance shell will now be started.
>
> That sounds like the cryptswap issue:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+bug/874774>
> if so, then generally it will time out after a moment or two.

Hmm, this didn't work for me. I waited for ~30min and the screen was
still stuck at 'continue to wait' while trying to mount the /
partition.

But I'm not sure that I'm seeing the same issue. For one, the first
time such an issue arises is while running 'mount /run'; I don't have
such a device in /etc/fstab. And the second thing is that I tried
booting up without swap, commenting out the /dev/sda7 and
/dev/mapper/cryptoswap related items in /etc/fstab (
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191361/ ), and still got the same booting
trouble.

>> All this looks strange to me, as I force checked / (and all other FS)
>> and they're all clean. I'm wondering though if after installing all
>> the packages there were some Precise-specific scripts that didn't get
>> executed to prepare the new OS. Among other things, perhaps /etc/fstab
>> didn't get updated? (Here's my current /etc/fstab:
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191361/ )
>
> Do the UUID's match against:
>
> $ sudo blkid

Yes. The only difference that I can spot is that the 'swap' partition
doesn't come up in the blkid output.
/etc/fstab: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1191361/
blkid: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1192838/
fdisk -l: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1192840/

> And does
> $ sudo fdisk -l
> show the cryptswap?

The /dev/sda9 partition is in the output, but it is marked as 'linux',
not 'cryptswap'.

>> Should I run 'do-release-upgrade' again?
>
> Try the recovery dpkg option first.

I'm not sure how exactly I should use the recovery dpkg option.

Thanks
Liviu