Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 PM
NoOp

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04 (procps)

On 09/08/2012 08:07 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:58 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 09/07/2012 11:43 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>>> However, I'm still unable to boot Precise. Using default kernel
>>> parameters (for 3.2.0) I get the following messages:
>>> [..]
>>> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
>>> could not log bootup: Address already in use
>>> [ 10.1 ] init: plymouth main process (327) terminated with status 69
>>> mount: Too many levels of symbolic links
>>> mountall: mount /run [349] terminated with status 32
>>> mountall: Filesystem could not be mounted: /run
>>> An error occurred while mounting /run.
>>
>> Are you able to boot to recovery mode?
>>
> No, not really. If I try to boot with default kernel options (the
> 'recovery' variant), then the booting gets stuck as described earlier
> at mounting the various partitions. The only way to get myself on a
> console is to use the 'rw init=/bin/bash' kernel parameters which
> let's me fall back to a console with 'rw' permission on /. This is not
> quite the recovery mode.
>

>> If so, can you try the dpkg option?
>>
> I'm not sure that I follow. How do I do that? Is this a kernel
> parameter, or some other option?

It's a menu option in Recovery mode. Basically it runs a script that
attempts to fix broken packages & update the system. Given that you are
at a cli console, you can actually run the same script from there. To
see what it does:

$ cat /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg

To run directly from the cli:

$ sudo /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg

Recovery mode options:

/lib/recovery-mode/recovery-menu
/lib/recovery-mode/recovery-mode
/lib/recovery-mode/options/apt-snapshots
/lib/recovery-mode/options/clean
/lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg
/lib/recovery-mode/options/failsafeX
/lib/recovery-mode/options/fsck
/lib/recovery-mode/options/grub
/lib/recovery-mode/options/network
/lib/recovery-mode/options/root
/lib/recovery-mode/options/system-summary

To see & actually use the recovery-mode menu from the cli:
$ sudo /lib/recovery-mode/recovery-menu

Forgot to ask & forgive me if you've mentioned this in the thread: are
you able to boot to an older kernel (i.e., 2.6.32-42-generic)?
If so, I would boot to recovery mode in that kernel, try to clean up
(using the dpkg option on the recovery menu (or cli), and then try the
upgrade again.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Liviu Andronic

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It's a menu option in Recovery mode. Basically it runs a script that
> attempts to fix broken packages & update the system. Given that you are
> at a cli console, you can actually run the same script from there. To
> see what it does:
>
> $ cat /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg
>
> To run directly from the cli:
>
> $ sudo /lib/recovery-mode/options/dpkg

I see, I understand better now.

I tried to use 'aptitude' in the /bin/bash session but it failed with
a 'Too many levels of symbolic links' error so I didn't give the
'dpkg' recovery option a try.

But looking for the above-mentioned error gave me a solution. [1]
Apparently the upgrade scripts messed up the /var/run and /run, making
each symlink to the other.
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep 7 13:57 /var/run -> /run
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Sep 5 18:13 /run -> /var/run

It looks like this was the reason that /var/run couldn't be mounted at
boot time. Following the comment #9 in [1], namely:
$ cd /
$ sudo rm run
$ sudo mkdir -p run

Once I did this, booting went fine in both recovery and graphical modes.
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-core/+bug/908614

So all in all I have a bootable Precise now. Thanks!

Now, from all the ordeal that I've been through, is there anything
worth reporting on Launchpad?

Regards
Liviu

Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:06:23 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, from all the ordeal that I've been through, is there anything
> worth reporting on Launchpad?

yes, update-manager should have told you about the lack of diskspace
(unless you filled the disk yourself *while* the upgrade was already
running, it wouldnt be able to detect that indeed)

and it should have disabled the handbrake PPA before the upgrade ...

ciao
oli

Old 09-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Colin Law

On 9 September 2012 12:32, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:06:23 +0200
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now, from all the ordeal that I've been through, is there anything
>> worth reporting on Launchpad?
>>
> yes, update-manager should have told you about the lack of diskspace
> (unless you filled the disk yourself *while* the upgrade was already
> running, it wouldnt be able to detect that indeed)
>
> and it should have disabled the handbrake PPA before the upgrade ...

I have always considered it a good idea to not only disable any ppas
before upgrading, but to achieve this by using ppa-purge so that
packages are restored back to the normal ubuntu versions. Whether
this reduces the probability of failure during the upgrade I don't
know.

Colin

Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have always considered it a good idea to not only disable any ppas
> before upgrading, but to achieve this by using ppa-purge so that
> packages are restored back to the normal ubuntu versions. Whether
> this reduces the probability of failure during the upgrade I don't
> know.

That might be a good idea indeed. But perhaps the installer should
make the difference between PPA packages that have Ubuntu equivalents,
and PPA packages that are not available in the default Ubuntu repos.

Liviu

Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:06:23 +0200
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now, from all the ordeal that I've been through, is there anything
>> worth reporting on Launchpad?
>>
> yes, update-manager should have told you about the lack of diskspace
> (unless you filled the disk yourself *while* the upgrade was already
> running, it wouldnt be able to detect that indeed)

Likely there was not enough space on /boot, a separate partition. But
I cannot find this error during the original ugprade,
cat /var/log/dist-upgrade/ : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187299/

so I'm not sure if I should report this.

> and it should have disabled the handbrake PPA before the upgrade ...

As far as I can see the 'handbrake' PPA was disabled:
root@liv-laptop:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# cat handbrake-ubuntu-ppa-lucid.list
# deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/handbrake-ubuntu/ppa/ubuntu precise
main # disabled on upgrade to precise

I think the errors came from the fact that the handbrake* packages
were already installed.

Regards
Liviu