Old 09-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Gene Heskett

Default New subject, clicking .png's gets wine/Outlook

Greetings folks;

For 2 or 3 weeks now, whenever I click on a link, or attachment in kmail
that ends in a .png, instead of calling firefox to display it, its calling
wine/OutlookExploder, which if course has no clue how to handle the
mimetype so I don't get to see it at all.

Is there another piece of kde I need to install in order to get a mimetype
editor?, I do not presently seem to have one.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
H. Gökhan Sarı

Hi Gene,

Looks like wine messed your default browser. I am not currently using KDE, but someone in OpenSuse forums* says you can change default browser following:

Kmenu > Configure Desktop > Advanced > File Assoc > Text > HTML.

From there just adjust the Application Preference Order
Another suggestion in same thread* is:

Try going to Desktop Settings/Personalised Settings -> Default
Applications -> Web Browser -> Change to 'in the following
broswer' -> browse for firefox

If these don't work, you can also try saving a HTML in a folder, right clicking it to get in file's properties, and changing default application that will handle that kind of file.

[0]: http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/404821-how-do-you-change-default-web-browser-kde4.html

--
H.Gökhan Sarı
th0th@returnfalse.net

Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Greetings folks;

For 2 or 3 weeks now, whenever I click on a link, or attachment in
kmail that ends in a .png, instead of calling firefox to display it,
its calling wine/OutlookExploder, which if course has no clue how to
handle the mimetype so I don't get to see it at all.

Hello there,

I've just checked that KMenu > System Settings > Settings > File
Associations is the place. Have a look under the 'image' entry.

Peter HB

Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 03 September 2012 12:45:54 H. Gökhan Sarı did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> Looks like wine messed your default browser. I am not currently using
> KDE, but someone in OpenSuse forums* says you can change default
> browser following:
>
> Kmenu > Configure Desktop > Advanced > File Assoc > Text > HTML.

I don't have a kmenu, there is only enough kde to get kmail running. The
window manager is still gdm.

> From there just adjust the Application Preference Order
>
> Another suggestion in same thread* is:
>
> Try going to Desktop Settings/Personalised Settings -> Default
> Applications

Again, there seems not to be a desktop settings in any pulldown.

> > -> Web Browser -> Change to 'in the following broswer' -> browse for
> > firefox
>
> If these don't work, you can also try saving a HTML in a folder, right
> clicking it to get in file's properties, and changing default
> application that will handle that kind of file.
>
> [0]:
> http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/404821-how-do-you-change-default
> -web-browser-kde4.html
>
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > For 2 or 3 weeks now, whenever I click on a link, or attachment in
> > kmail that ends in a .png, instead of calling firefox to display it,
> > its calling wine/OutlookExploder, which if course has no clue how to
> > handle the mimetype so I don't get to see it at all.
> >
> > Is there another piece of kde I need to install in order to get a
> > mimetype editor?, I do not presently seem to have one.

I have since installed a few of the usual suspects, but it appears I may
have to install the full kde to get that stuff. I would rather not, and it
seems to me that gnome should have the equivalent function, but it isn't in
the prefs or admin sections of the pulldowns.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
bureaucrat, n:
A politician who has tenure.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 03 September 2012 12:57:37 Peter Hillier-Brook did opine:

> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > For 2 or 3 weeks now, whenever I click on a link, or attachment in
> > kmail that ends in a .png, instead of calling firefox to display it,
> > its calling wine/OutlookExploder, which if course has no clue how to
> > handle the mimetype so I don't get to see it at all.
>
> Hello there,
>
> I've just checked that KMenu > System Settings > Settings > File
> Associations is the place. Have a look under the 'image' entry.
>
> Peter HB

See my previous reply, this is a gdm system, not kdm. No such menu exists.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.
-- W. C. Fields

Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Colin Law

On 3 September 2012 17:56, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday 03 September 2012 12:45:54 H. Gökhan Sarı did opine:
>
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> Looks like wine messed your default browser. I am not currently using
>> KDE, but someone in OpenSuse forums* says you can change default
>> browser following:
>>
>> Kmenu > Configure Desktop > Advanced > File Assoc > Text > HTML.
>>
> I don't have a kmenu, there is only enough kde to get kmail running. The
> window manager is still gdm.
>
>> From there just adjust the Application Preference Order
>>
>> Another suggestion in same thread* is:
>>
>> Try going to Desktop Settings/Personalised Settings -> Default
>> Applications
>
> Again, there seems not to be a desktop settings in any pulldown.
>
>> > -> Web Browser -> Change to 'in the following broswer' -> browse for
>> > firefox
>>
>> If these don't work, you can also try saving a HTML in a folder, right
>> clicking it to get in file's properties, and changing default
>> application that will handle that kind of file.
>>
>> [0]:
>> http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/404821-how-do-you-change-default
>> -web-browser-kde4.html
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> > Greetings folks;
>> >
>> > For 2 or 3 weeks now, whenever I click on a link, or attachment in
>> > kmail that ends in a .png, instead of calling firefox to display it,
>> > its calling wine/OutlookExploder, which if course has no clue how to
>> > handle the mimetype so I don't get to see it at all.
>> >
>> > Is there another piece of kde I need to install in order to get a
>> > mimetype editor?, I do not presently seem to have one.
>
> I have since installed a few of the usual suspects, but it appears I may
> have to install the full kde to get that stuff. I would rather not, and it
> seems to me that gnome should have the equivalent function, but it isn't in
> the prefs or admin sections of the pulldowns.

Have you got System Settings? If so then have a look in System
Settings > Details > Default Applications.

You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.

Colin

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 03 September 2012 16:23:06 Colin Law did opine:

> On 3 September 2012 17:56, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 03 September 2012 12:45:54 H. Gأ¶khan Sarؤ± did opine:
> >> Hi Gene,
> >>
> >> Looks like wine messed your default browser. I am not currently using
> >> KDE, but someone in OpenSuse forums* says you can change default
> >> browser following:
> >>
> >> Kmenu > Configure Desktop > Advanced > File Assoc > Text > HTML.
> >
> > I don't have a kmenu, there is only enough kde to get kmail running.
> > The window manager is still gdm.
> >
> >> From there just adjust the Application Preference Order
> >>
> >> Another suggestion in same thread* is:
> >>
> >> Try going to Desktop Settings/Personalised Settings -> Default
> >> Applications
> >
> > Again, there seems not to be a desktop settings in any pulldown.

> >> If these don't work, you can also try saving a HTML in a folder,
> >> right clicking it to get in file's properties, and changing default
> >> application that will handle that kind of file.
> >>
> >> [0]:
> >> http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/404821-how-do-you-change-defa
> >> ult -web-browser-kde4.html

> > I have since installed a few of the usual suspects, but it appears I
> > may have to install the full kde to get that stuff. I would rather
> > not, and it seems to me that gnome should have the equivalent
> > function, but it isn't in the prefs or admin sections of the
> > pulldowns.
>
> Have you got System Settings?

No.

> If so then have a look in System
> Settings > Details > Default Applications.
>
> You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
> kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.

No unity, it is a 10.04.4 LTS install.

> Colin

If I could find the controlling file, I could probably fix it with vim or
gedit.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The three questions of greatest concern are -- 1. Is it attractive?
2. Is it amusing? 3. Does it know its place?
-- Fran Lebowitz, "Metropolitan Life"

Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/03/2012 04:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:

You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.

Gene, you might want to use Galternatives and see if something screwed
up your default browser and your editor settings in your alternatives
setup. That would get you into the heart of the beast to just fix it.
Right between the eyes. It's one of the most useful system tools there
is. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Ric Moore

On 09/03/2012 04:25 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

If I could find the controlling file, I could probably fix it with vim or
gedit.

I betcha it is in alternatives. Again, use galternatives.
Quote: "A GUI to help the system administrator to choose what program
should provide a given service.

This is a graphical front-end to the update-alternatives
program shipped with dpkg."

Works a treat. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 04 September 2012 00:26:18 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 09/03/2012 04:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> > You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
> > kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.
>
> Gene, you might want to use Galternatives and see if something screwed
> up your default browser and your editor settings in your alternatives
> setup. That would get you into the heart of the beast to just fix it.
> Right between the eyes. It's one of the most useful system tools there
> is. Ric

But its not at all useful for this, I just went thru the whole menu it
offers without finding a mime.type alias of any kind, and firefox is the
default browser for most web stuffs.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
God is Dead.