Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Basil Chupin

Default New subject, clicking .png's gets wine/Outlook

On 04/09/12 14:28, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Tuesday 04 September 2012 00:26:18 Ric Moore did opine:

On 09/03/2012 04:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:

You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.

Gene, you might want to use Galternatives and see if something screwed
up your default browser and your editor settings in your alternatives
setup. That would get you into the heart of the beast to just fix it.
Right between the eyes. It's one of the most useful system tools there
is. Ric

But its not at all useful for this, I just went thru the whole menu it
offers without finding a mime.type alias of any kind, and firefox is the
default browser for most web stuffs.

Cheers, Gene

png as you know is a graphic format so you would view *.png files with
an image viewer (eg Gwenview etc).

I don't remember now how you do it in your setup but you should be able
in Dolphin set that when a *png file is being accessed it will be opened
using, say, Gwenview. Right click on a file with *.png extension, select
Properties, and select what to view png files with (once this is set
then the setting will apply to all *png files).

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.0 & kernel 3.5.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Colin Law

On 4 September 2012 05:28, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2012 00:26:18 Ric Moore did opine:
>
>> On 09/03/2012 04:01 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> > You could boot into Unity and check the settings there, but whether
>> > kmail will use the same settings or not is another matter.
>>
>> Gene, you might want to use Galternatives and see if something screwed
>> up your default browser and your editor settings in your alternatives
>> setup. That would get you into the heart of the beast to just fix it.
>> Right between the eyes. It's one of the most useful system tools there
>> is. Ric
>
> But its not at all useful for this, I just went thru the whole menu it
> offers without finding a mime.type alias of any kind, and firefox is the
> default browser for most web stuffs.

I wonder if we have been barking up the wrong tree here. What happens
if you double click a local .png file? If that also fails then right
click on a png file, select Properties > Open With, select an
appropriate application and click Set As Default (at least that is how
to do it 12.10, hopefully not much different on 10.04).

Colin

Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Gene Heskett

On Tuesday 04 September 2012 08:54:55 Colin Law did opine:

> On 4 September 2012 05:28, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Gene, you might want to use Galternatives and see if something
> >> screwed up your default browser and your editor settings in your
> >> alternatives setup. That would get you into the heart of the beast
> >> to just fix it. Right between the eyes. It's one of the most useful
> >> system tools there is. Ric
> >
> > But its not at all useful for this, I just went thru the whole menu it
> > offers without finding a mime.type alias of any kind, and firefox is
> > the default browser for most web stuffs.
>
> I wonder if we have been barking up the wrong tree here. What happens
> if you double click a local .png file? If that also fails then right
> click on a png file, select Properties > Open With, select an
> appropriate application and click Set As Default (at least that is how
> to do it 12.10, hopefully not much different on 10.04).
>
> Colin

Bingo Colin, that was the magic twanger, fixed it right up. The wording
wasn't the same, it asked if I wanted to remember so I put a check mark in
the box.

Thank you very much.

> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > God is Dead.
> >
> > -- Nietzsche