Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Jay Ridgley

Default problem mounting an nfs partition after installing 12.04.1 LTS **SOLVED**

Message: 6
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:20:14 -0500
From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com>
To: Ubuntu-users <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: problem mounting an nfs partition after installing 12.04.1
LTS

Folks,

I just completed upgrading my wife's system to 12.04.1 LTS, no problems were
reported or observed.

Just prior to the upgrade I backed up her home directory to an archive
partition. Which is mounted manually as needed via nfs. No problems were
encountered.

After the upgrade I tried to mount the nfs partition (as a test) using:

sudo mount /big_archive

and received the following messages:

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

OK! So I read the message again and DID what it said, added -o nolock to the
above mount command. It worked... I have added the option to my /etc/fstab entry
(see below) and tested it again. Still works...

mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

This should have gotten my attention the first time!!!

I tried:

sudo start statd
start: Job is already running: statd

I can ping the remote system successfully. The entry in /etc/fstab for
big_archive is:

koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto 0 0

Revised entry in /etc/fstab:

koala:/nfs/cdjsys /big_archive nfs rw,noauto,nolock 0 0

The mount point exists.

ls -la /big_archive
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 29 2010 .
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Aug 30 13:31 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jan 29 2010 **NOT_MOUNTED**

What have I missed?

I gotta learn to read...

Jay

--