Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Need advice on an IDE for autotools and C++

I have a project that I dropped 10 years ago or so, and now that I'm
retired I want to go back to it.

I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
suggestions.

Anybody know a good one?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 AM
John D Lamb

On 01/09/12 03:37, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have a project that I dropped 10 years ago or so, and now that I'm
> retired I want to go back to it.
>
> I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
> really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
> to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
> suggestions.
>
> Anybody know a good one?

I use emacs. But I suspect it’s not really an IDE in the sense you are
thinking of.

Try eclipse. It’s well developed and incorporates debugging facilities.
I haven’t checked if you can substitute ‘make’ for g++, which is what
you need for autotools. I’d be surprised if you can’t.

--
John D Lamb

Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM
James Freer

I have a project that I dropped 10 years ago or so, and now that I'm
retired I want to go back to it.

I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
suggestions.

Anybody know a good one?

I use emacs. But I suspect it’s not really an IDE in the sense you are
thinking of.

Try eclipse. It’s well developed and incorporates debugging facilities.
I haven’t checked if you can substitute ‘make’ for g++, which is what
you need for autotools. I’d be surprised if you can’t.

--
John D Lamb

Bluefish? Mature app receiving constant development. I'm learning emacs as i
wnat to use one app for most of my needs but it's a learning curve. Bluefish is
straight forward and could well be to your liking.

james--

Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Andreas Widen

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:37:51PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
> really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
> to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
> suggestions.

I've been using CodeLite lately for C++ projects and find it very nice
to work with. It's easy to setup, nice and flexible editor and good
debug support.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Steve Flynn

On 1 September 2012 03:37, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
> really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
> to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
> suggestions.
>
> Anybody know a good one?

Eclipse is my favourite freeware IDE, but if you want to go a little
slicker there's Komodo (I've only used it for Python but also supports
c++ and numerous other languages. Also has support for whatever SCS
you prefer (Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, CVS, etc).

I've also recently been playing with Cloud9 which is a web based IDE -
miight want to give that a try. (http://c9.io)

--
Steve

Old 09-01-2012, 11:40 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, John D Lamb wrote:
>
>> On 01/09/12 03:37, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a project that I dropped 10 years ago or so, and now that I'm
>>> retired I want to go back to it.
>>>
>>> I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
>>> really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
>>> to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
>>> suggestions.
>>>
>>> Anybody know a good one?
>>

>> I use emacs. But I suspect it’s not really an IDE in the sense you are
>> thinking of.
>>
>> Try eclipse. It’s well developed and incorporates debugging facilities.
>> I haven’t checked if you can substitute ‘make’ for g++, which is what
>> you need for autotools. I’d be surprised if you can’t.
>>
>> --
>> John D Lamb
>

> Bluefish? Mature app receiving constant development. I'm learning emacs as i
> wnat to use one app for most of my needs but it's a learning curve. Bluefish
> is straight forward and could well be to your liking.

Bluefish? It bills itself as an HTML editor, not an IDE. Has
something changed?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM, John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 01/09/12 03:37, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I have a project that I dropped 10 years ago or so, and now that I'm
>> retired I want to go back to it.
>>
>> I want it to use autotools, and the existing code is C++. I was never
>> really expert in either one. I don't expect to become so. I'm hoping
>> to muddle through with the help of some IDE or other. I could use
>> suggestions.
>>
>> Anybody know a good one?
>
> I use emacs. But I suspect it’s not really an IDE in the sense you are
> thinking of.

I use vim, and it has similar capabilities. You're right, not what I
had in mind.

> Try eclipse. It’s well developed and incorporates debugging facilities.
> I haven’t checked if you can substitute ‘make’ for g++, which is what
> you need for autotools. I’d be surprised if you can’t.

I'll try it, but it does not seem to have any explicit integration
with autotools or any source code control system. I'd really like
that.

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM
James Freer

[...]

Sorry my mistake perhaps depending on how one's categorising an IDE. Nano is
called an IDE in one place - i'd say it isn't. As an easy to use editor i'd call
Bluefish one as it's such a competent editor... if that's to your taste.

Why use an IDE as the code produced often isn't what one would like - thus use a
well tried and tested programmer editor like vim or emacs. I've started using
emacs for my word editing for several magazines i write for which emacs is an
ideal tool - the screen conveniently increments a 1/2 which is exceptionally
useful. Only other editor to do that i know is pico.

Ok i'm wrong.

james--

Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 2:56 AM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:45 AM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Bluefish? Mature app receiving constant development. I'm learning emacs
>>> as i
>>> wnat to use one app for most of my needs but it's a learning curve.
>>> Bluefish
>>> is straight forward and could well be to your liking.
>>

>> Bluefish? It bills itself as an HTML editor, not an IDE. Has
>> something changed?
>>
>> --
>> Kevin O'Gorman
>

> Sorry my mistake perhaps depending on how one's categorising an IDE. Nano is
> called an IDE in one place - i'd say it isn't. As an easy to use editor i'd
> call Bluefish one as it's such a competent editor... if that's to your
> taste.
>
> Why use an IDE as the code produced often isn't what one would like - thus
> use a well tried and tested programmer editor like vim or emacs. I've
> started using emacs for my word editing for several magazines i write for
> which emacs is an ideal tool - the screen conveniently increments a 1/2
> which is exceptionally useful. Only other editor to do that i know is pico.
>
> Ok i'm wrong.
>
> james

Editor wars are pointless. I use vim not so much because I think it's
superior but because I started with vi about 1984, know it well, and
only want to know one editor. Since it is programmable too, you can
expect every neat thing other editors have out of the box has been
imitated somehow in Vim. But half-screen adjustments were there in
the beginning via control-D and control-U.

Bluefish is designed for editing HTML, and adds nothing to the
code-generation process.
Nano is a really cool but minimalist editor.

I was hoping for some of the features of Kdevelop, including help with
autotools. But KDE has been too chaotic for me, and I gave up on it
at KDE 4. Too much software gets broken by the updates, so I don't
trust their development discipline.

--
Kevin O'Gorman