Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Setting up console-setup to be permanent? - finally SOLVED

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

>>> WAG: Did you rebuild the initramfs?
>>
>> Manually? No, I didn't and I don't know whether any of commands abowe
>> in this thread did it.
>
> For the currently-running kernel:
> update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)

I did run that but not helped.

What I did follows.

I red
/usr/share/doc/console-setup/README.gz
==============
ADVANCED USAGE
==============

I did a copy of the /etc/init.d/console-setup file from my previous
Debian system (I can reach them mounting it's partition) in to
/etc/init.d/console-setup.console-setup.init
because I have yet a console-setup file there on my Ubuntu system.

I created a symlink:
/etc/rcS.d/@S06console-setup
that link the file:
-> /etc/init.d/console-setup.console-setup.init

My /etc/rcS.d/ directory on my Ubuntu system has followings:
README
@S05keymap.sh
@S06console-setup
@S25brltty
@S37apparmor
@S55urandom
@S70x11-common

After I reboot I finally get the console as I did setup it before
reboot. Thank you all for support!

--
Regards from Pal

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I did follows.
>
> I red
> /usr/share/doc/console-setup/README.gz
> ==============
> ADVANCED USAGE
> ==============
>
> I did a copy of the /etc/init.d/console-setup file from my previous
> Debian system (I can reach them mounting it's partition) in to
> /etc/init.d/console-setup.console-setup.init
> because I have yet a console-setup file there on my Ubuntu system.
>
> I created a symlink:
> /etc/rcS.d/@S06console-setup
> that link the file:
> -> /etc/init.d/console-setup.console-setup.init
>
> After I reboot I finally get the console as I did setup it before
> reboot.

1) Do you have "keyboard-configuration" installed? (It runs "setupcon
--save" through "/etc/init.d/console-setup".)

2) "console-setup.console-setup.init" looks like the name of a file in
the console-setup tar.gz file from which "dpkg-buildpackage" (or
whatever app Ubuntu's build servers uses) creates an init script. What
was needed after making the "/etc/default/console-setup" change(s) was
to run "setupcon --save" because "/etc/init/console-setup.conf" runs
"/etc/console-setup/cached.kmap.gz" which is created by "setupcon
--save".