Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Thufir

Default nntp to e-mail

Aside from mailman, which seems maybe too hard, for me at least, to setup:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/181378/integrating-postfix-and-mailman

what alternatives are there to convert nntp to e-mail? Or, really,
anything else, even RSS. I see many RSS->NNTP scripts, but nothing going
the other way.

Thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Steve Flynn

On 29 August 2012 16:49, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> what alternatives are there to convert nntp to e-mail? Or, really,
> anything else, even RSS. I see many RSS->NNTP scripts, but nothing going
> the other way.

What are you trying to set up Thufir? Posting Usenet traffic to a mailing list?

--
Steve

Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Thufir

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:31:49 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:

> On 29 August 2012 16:49, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what alternatives are there to convert nntp to e-mail? Or, really,
>> anything else, even RSS. I see many RSS->NNTP scripts, but nothing
>> going the other way.
>
> What are you trying to set up Thufir? Posting Usenet traffic to a
> mailing list?

Just to read gwene.org in my e-mail inbox. Doh, don't know why I didn't
just use thunderbird from the beginning, it just didn't occur to me. Pan
is a better newsreader but doesn't have thunderbirds functionality for e-
mail.

-Thufir

Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Steve Flynn

On 29 August 2012 20:35, Thufir <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to read gwene.org in my e-mail inbox. Doh, don't know why I didn't
> just use thunderbird from the beginning, it just didn't occur to me. Pan
> is a better newsreader but doesn't have thunderbirds functionality for e-
> mail.

That was why I asked the question - I couldn't think of a reason why
anyone would want to take Usenet and then mail it out to people, so I
thought you might have been going the opposite way. Glad you thought
of an alternative method of access.

(I myself miss Elm as an email package - not because it was brilliant,
but because it was what I got very used to on my Amiga a good few
years ago).

--
Steve

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Thufir

Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 29 August 2012 20:35, Thufir <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just to read gwene.org in my e-mail inbox. Doh, don't know why I didn't
> > just use thunderbird from the beginning, it just didn't occur to me. Pan
> > is a better newsreader but doesn't have thunderbirds functionality for e-
> > mail.
>
> That was why I asked the question - I couldn't think of a reason why
> anyone would want to take Usenet and then mail it out to people, so I
> thought you might have been going the opposite way. Glad you thought
> of an alternative method of access.
[..]

what I'm sort of considering is to copy the news posts to an mbox type inbox.
I've done this a few times and it's a bit awkward, but might be useful. I'm not
sure that there's much gain there, but it seems like there are more scripts to
operate on e-mail v. nntp. E-mail's just more prevalent.

What can automate that copy/paste operation? I see:

http://macroeditor.mozdev.org/

which might do that, but I'm just wondering if there are alternatives? Some
sort of ruby/python/etc script which I just can't find? Simple mailman or
something?

thanks,

Thufir