Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Colin Law

Default Problem installing from deb file and ignoring dependencies

I am trying to install a package A (from a .deb file) that depends on
package B, but B is not available for my platform so I have built B
from source. I cannot install A by using
dpkg -i A.deb
as it complains about the missing dependency. I can install it by using
dpkg -i --ignore-depends=B A.deb
but this is not a good solution as the next time I install something
it complains about the package being broken.

I have got over the problem by unpacking A.deb, removing the
dependency and repackaging but I feel this cannot be that unusual a
requirement and there must be a better way. As it stands I will have
to repeat the exercise to install an upgrade to A. Is there a better
way?

In case it is relevant I am installing get-iplayer (A) on a SheevaPlug
PC running Jaunty. I can't upgrade the Sheeva as Jaunty was the last
version that supported the architecture. get-iplayer is not in the
Jaunty repository but it is architecture independent (perl) so I can
use the deb from a the currrent ubuntu distribution. It depends on
rtmpdump (B) which I have built from source.

Colin

Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Nils Kassube

Colin Law wrote:
> I am trying to install a package A (from a .deb file) that depends on
> package B, but B is not available for my platform so I have built B
> from source. I cannot install A by using
> dpkg -i A.deb
> as it complains about the missing dependency. I can install it by
> using dpkg -i --ignore-depends=B A.deb
> but this is not a good solution as the next time I install something
> it complains about the package being broken.
>
> I have got over the problem by unpacking A.deb, removing the
> dependency and repackaging but I feel this cannot be that unusual a
> requirement and there must be a better way. As it stands I will have
> to repeat the exercise to install an upgrade to A. Is there a better
> way?

Use checkinstall to install your package B as a deb package. Then your
dependency for package A is fulfilled.

Nils

Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Tom H

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install a package A (from a .deb file) that depends on
> package B, but B is not available for my platform so I have built B
> from source. I cannot install A by using
> dpkg -i A.deb
> as it complains about the missing dependency. I can install it by using
> dpkg -i --ignore-depends=B A.deb
> but this is not a good solution as the next time I install something
> it complains about the package being broken.
>
> I have got over the problem by unpacking A.deb, removing the
> dependency and repackaging but I feel this cannot be that unusual a
> requirement and there must be a better way. As it stands I will have
> to repeat the exercise to install an upgrade to A.

I assume that when you say "install from source" you're using
"./configure; make; make install" and B's installed into
"/usr/local/".

I see two possibilities.

1) Build a deb rather than use the above method. I tried once to build
a deb of the latest grub, from upstream rather than debianized
sources, and failed miserably. I didn't try particularly hard to find
out why because I was under time pressure but it seemed more
complicated than building an rpm (probably because I'm quite used to
building the latter but who knows; preseed's more complicated than
kickstart).

2) Use "equivs-control B; equivs-build B; dpkg -i B" ("apt-get install
equivs") to build a dummy B package and install it so A's dependency's
satisfied.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Colin Law

On 27 August 2012 10:03, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> I am trying to install a package A (from a .deb file) that depends on
>> package B, but B is not available for my platform so I have built B
>> from source. I cannot install A by using
>> dpkg -i A.deb
>> as it complains about the missing dependency. I can install it by
>> using dpkg -i --ignore-depends=B A.deb
>> but this is not a good solution as the next time I install something
>> it complains about the package being broken.
>>
>> I have got over the problem by unpacking A.deb, removing the
>> dependency and repackaging but I feel this cannot be that unusual a
>> requirement and there must be a better way. As it stands I will have
>> to repeat the exercise to install an upgrade to A. Is there a better
>> way?
>
> Use checkinstall to install your package B as a deb package. Then your
> dependency for package A is fulfilled.

That looks like a viable solution, thanks.

Colin

Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Colin Law

On 27 August 2012 10:15, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to install a package A (from a .deb file) that depends on
>> package B, but B is not available for my platform so I have built B
>> from source. I cannot install A by using
>> dpkg -i A.deb
>> as it complains about the missing dependency. I can install it by using
>> dpkg -i --ignore-depends=B A.deb
>> but this is not a good solution as the next time I install something
>> it complains about the package being broken.
>>
>> I have got over the problem by unpacking A.deb, removing the
>> dependency and repackaging but I feel this cannot be that unusual a
>> requirement and there must be a better way. As it stands I will have
>> to repeat the exercise to install an upgrade to A.
>
> I assume that when you say "install from source" you're using
> "./configure; make; make install" and B's installed into
> "/usr/local/".

Yes, more or less.

> I see two possibilities.
>
> 1) Build a deb rather than use the above method. I tried once to build
> a deb of the latest grub, from upstream rather than debianized
> sources, and failed miserably. I didn't try particularly hard to find
> out why because I was under time pressure but it seemed more
> complicated than building an rpm (probably because I'm quite used to
> building the latter but who knows; preseed's more complicated than
> kickstart).

A possibility certainly.

> 2) Use "equivs-control B; equivs-build B; dpkg -i B" ("apt-get install
> equivs") to build a dummy B package and install it so A's dependency's
> satisfied.

That looks like a nice easy way out I thought. Then I did
sudo apt-get install equivs
and it wanted to install 90 packages, download 33MB and use an
additional 114MB, including for example conkeror which seems rather
odd and unnecessary on my little headless SheevaPlug running off SD
card. So I decided against it.

Thanks anyway

Colin