-   -   LibreOffice with Unity buggy? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/697873-libreoffice-unity-buggy.html)

08-26-2012 03:16 PM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

Hi,

I installed a short time ago Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop system.

I'm using Unity Desktop.

When I work in LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2) it happen
often that that the screen in the workspace where is LibreOffice darken
a while and temporarily freeze the LibreOffice.

Why this happen? Is this a bug?

--
Regards from Pal

David Fletcher 08-26-2012 06:49 PM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 17:16 +0200, Csányi Pál wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a short time ago Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop system.
>
> I'm using Unity Desktop.
>
> When I work in LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2) it happen
> often that that the screen in the workspace where is LibreOffice darken
> a while and temporarily freeze the LibreOffice.
>
> Why this happen? Is this a bug?

I assume so.

Open Office on Maverick always worked perfectly as I recall.

Since I upgraded to 12.04 it works fine on one machine but it's a bloody
liability on another.

Let me elaborate:-
The machine it screws up is my old AMD X2, which has an nvidia graphics
card, running 64 bit. When run on this one Libre Office Calc fouls up
its column and row headers and the display of cells that I'm editing,
etc. Just now while attempting to do my banking, everything locked up -
I could move application windows on the desktop but everything
(evolution and chrome) stopped responding. The menu at the top right
corner that puts up the shut down dialog was totally overwritten with
crap so I had to guess where to click, as was the shut down dialog
itself. After rebooting, the login screen was locked and not responding
so I had to ssh into it to do another reboot, then it worked again.

The X2 works with everything else only the desktop selector tool works
in a jumpy rather than a smooth fashion.

The machine on which Libre Office Calc works fine is my Toshiba NB520,
with Atom processor also running 64 bit. I believe this one has Intel
graphics.

So, to do my banking I had the X2 desktop running Chrome for internet
access, and the netbook running Libre Office to edit my spreadsheet.
Luckily I keep all my spreadsheet and other files on a server so
fortunately I can use them from any machine via sshfs. Anybody else who
has this problem and has everything on the one computer is probably
screwed.

Dave

Ric Moore 08-27-2012 03:17 AM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

So, to do my banking I had the X2 desktop running Chrome for internet
access, and the netbook running Libre Office to edit my spreadsheet.
Luckily I keep all my spreadsheet and other files on a server so
fortunately I can use them from any machine via sshfs. Anybody else who
has this problem and has everything on the one computer is probably
screwed.

Funny thing, I don't frequently use office. But the other night I was
editing a standard OO document and the thing froze up tight as a drum. I
had to kill -9 it. I re-ran it, recovered the file and proceeded to
finish my edit without further incident. Weird. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Mike Kupfer 08-27-2012 04:09 PM

Csányi Pál wrote:

> When I work in LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2) it happen
> often that that the screen in the workspace where is LibreOffice darken
> a while and temporarily freeze the LibreOffice.

Does the entire screen darken, or just the LibreOffice window? The
"Fading Windows" plugin has an option to darken and de-color a window if
the window manager detects that the application is unresponsive. That's
probably what you're running into here.

mike

08-27-2012 06:26 PM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

Hi Mike,

Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer@acm.org> writes:

> Csányi Pál wrote:
>
>> When I work in LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2) it happen
>> often that that the screen in the workspace where is LibreOffice darken
>> a while and temporarily freeze the LibreOffice.
>
> Does the entire screen darken, or just the LibreOffice window? The
> "Fading Windows" plugin has an option to darken and de-color a window if
> the window manager detects that the application is unresponsive. That's
> probably what you're running into here.

I didn't observe that because the LibreOffice was maximized (or rather
just resized to the maxium possible size on the Unity screen).

Now I'm working with LibreOffice and in it I have opened four windows to
get this behavior again, but so far that not happen. If this shall
occure, I shall post here the results right away.

--
Regards from Pal

NoOp 08-27-2012 11:44 PM

On 08/27/2012 11:26 AM, Csányi Pál wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Kupfer <m.kupfer@acm.org> writes:
>
>> Csányi Pál wrote:
>>
>>> When I work in LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2) it happen
>>> often that that the screen in the workspace where is LibreOffice darken
>>> a while and temporarily freeze the LibreOffice.
>>
>> Does the entire screen darken, or just the LibreOffice window? The
>> "Fading Windows" plugin has an option to darken and de-color a window if
>> the window manager detects that the application is unresponsive. That's
>> probably what you're running into here.
>
> I didn't observe that because the LibreOffice was maximized (or rather
> just resized to the maxium possible size on the Unity screen).
>
> Now I'm working with LibreOffice and in it I have opened four windows to
> get this behavior again, but so far that not happen. If this shall
> occure, I shall post here the results right away.

I also have had issues with the Ubuntu distro version of LO freezing and
locking up my system. Simple solution: download and install directly
from LO, install, and use that version instead. Note: if you continue to
use Ubuntu LO, please file a bug report on launchpad (not on the LO
bugzilla). The package maintainer can then fix, or escalate upstream to LO.

https://www.libreoffice.org/
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect
[Linux (deb): x86 or x86_64]

David Fletcher 09-03-2012 10:20 AM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

Hi all,

I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.

Please take a look here:-
http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png
which is on my home server and see if it looks familiar to anybody.

This only happens on my desktop computer with the nvidia graphics card
in it, never yet seen on the netbook. What's the likelihood of this
being due to the nvidia driver that's frequently complained about?

lspci produces:-
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200
LE] (rev a1)

Important question:-
If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an ATI
card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to operate? My
guess is that it would, but I just want a little reassurance from the
list.

Dave

Gene Heskett 09-03-2012 12:22 PM

LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:

> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
> in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
> written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.
>
> Please take a look here:-
> http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png

OT:
Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type that
overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above link, I get
a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't display the .png.

For some reason, this 10-04.4 system has no mime prefs editor.

Has anyone a clue where that is so I can nuke the SOB? Or do I have to
remove wine?

Thanks.

> which is on my home server and see if it looks familiar to anybody.
>
> This only happens on my desktop computer with the nvidia graphics card
> in it, never yet seen on the netbook. What's the likelihood of this
> being due to the nvidia driver that's frequently complained about?
>
> lspci produces:-
> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200
> LE] (rev a1)
>

> Important question:-
> If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an ATI
> card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to operate? My
> guess is that it would, but I just want a little reassurance from the
> list.
>
> Dave

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

Colin Law 09-03-2012 12:39 PM

On 3 September 2012 13:22, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
>> in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
>> written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.
>>
>> Please take a look here:-
>> http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png
>
> OT:
> Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type that
> overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above link, I get
> a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't display the .png.

Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?

Colin

Liam Proven 09-03-2012 01:09 PM

On 3 September 2012 13:39, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 September 2012 13:22, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
>>> in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
>>> written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.
>>>
>>> Please take a look here:-
>>> http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png
>>
>> OT:
>> Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type that
>> overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above link, I get
>> a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't display the .png.
>
> Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
> actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?

Um. How would one use LibreOffice to click on a link in an email message?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884