Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Basil Chupin

Default LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

On 04/09/12 17:35, David Fletcher wrote:

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 17:00 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 04/09/12 16:43, David Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".

I can. It says, amongst loads of other stuff,
Operating system Linux-x86_64
NVIDIA Driver Version 295.40

The latest driver, BTW, is 304.37.

I tried jockey-gtk. It said that driver 295.40 was the recommended
version but there appeared to be a later one. Told it to activate the
later one.

My computer is still working, obviously, and now says I have driver
version 295.49.

295.49 or 295.59? If it is 295.49 (I don't go that far back to confirm)
then the next ones are

295.59

295.71 and now

304.37

Don't know if it's made any difference. We'll see I
guess.

The graphics card is now several years old, can't remember exactly.
Maybe this is why the latest driver isn't being loaded?

I don't think so. If you are using 295.xx then your card is not that old.

It's the usual story: most distros do not provide upgrades to what was
made available in a release and the only updates which are provided are
security fixes/updates. So you won't get the very latest nVidia driver
until possibly next year when Canonical releases the next Ubuntu.

I always compile my own nVidia driver but you cannot do so in
Ubuntu/Kubuntu because you have to pass thru the eye of a needle to be
able to do so :-( .

Just tried loading a spreadsheet into LibreOffice,

Oh, BTW, the latest LO is 3.6.1 which I installed today :-) . (You
download it from libreoffice.org and install it yourself.)

at the same time as I
had Evolution and Chrome working. It behaved itself, but sometimes it
does and sometimes it doesn't so as I said above, we'll have to wait and
see.......

Dave

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.0 & kernel 3.5.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Liam Proven

On 4 September 2012 07:43, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".
>>
> I can. It says, amongst loads of other stuff,
> Operating system Linux-x86_64
> NVIDIA Driver Version 295.40

OK, so you do have the drivers installed. Not the latest version,
though; that /could/ be a problem.

From a later message, I see that you have updated slightly & so far
things are behaving, is that right?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Liam Proven

On 4 September 2012 04:52, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/03/2012 09:09 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

>>> Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
>>> actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?
>>

>> Um. How would one use LibreOffice to click on a link in an email message?
>

> It's standard for a powerpoint attachment to open it with OO. Ric

That's true and fair enough, but a .PNG file is a Portable Network
Graphics bitmap image. Nothing to do with PPT.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 AM
David Fletcher

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:33 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> OK, so you do have the drivers installed. Not the latest version,
> though; that /could/ be a problem.
>
> From a later message, I see that you have updated slightly & so far
> things are behaving, is that right?

Not really.

I'm wondering if there's some strange interaction with Chrome. When I
started up LibreOffice Calc just now, with Chrome running on another
desktop, it was overwriting the row and column headers again, sort of
like the screen grab. Did you take a look at that?

When I shut down LibreOffice then Chrome, then started up LibreOffice
again, everything looked normal.

So what the hell's going wrong I have absolutely no idea.

I'm feeling reluctant to install the latest version from libreoffice.org
or whatever it is, because when I did it on the old laptop it came as
dozens of separate .deb files instead of one. Maybe there's still a
single command to remove it if something goes wrong?

Dave

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Liam Proven

On 5 September 2012 11:22, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:33 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>> OK, so you do have the drivers installed. Not the latest version,
>> though; that /could/ be a problem.
>>
>> From a later message, I see that you have updated slightly & so far
>> things are behaving, is that right?
>
> Not really.
>
> I'm wondering if there's some strange interaction with Chrome. When I
> started up LibreOffice Calc just now, with Chrome running on another
> desktop, it was overwriting the row and column headers again, sort of
> like the screen grab. Did you take a look at that?

I did.

I've never heard of any such interaction on Linux (I have on Windows,
although mainly in the bad old days) before but I suppose it's not
impossible.

FWIW I am running Chrome & vanilla LibreOffice side-by-side with no
problems on a machine with an nVidia card, on driver 295.40 - no
issues.

> I'm feeling reluctant to install the latest version from libreoffice.org
> or whatever it is, because when I did it on the old laptop it came as
> dozens of separate .deb files instead of one. Maybe there's still a
> single command to remove it if something goes wrong?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/01/new-ppa-makes-installing-libreoffice-on-ubuntu-easy

But note:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/132837/how-do-i-install-the-latest-stable-version-of-libreoffice

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:09 +0100, David Fletcher wrote:

> > > Important question:-
> > > If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an ATI
> > > card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to operate? My
> > > guess is that it would, but I just want a little reassurance from the
> > > list.
> >
> > Should be fine.
>
> In that case I might just spend 20 quid and get an ATI card instead.
> Would have done it before installing 12.04 if I'd known, only the one I
> have always worked perfectly with Hardy and Maverick. Guess it'll then
> be fun and games next time I plug in the XP hard drive that I very
> occasionally need to use.

Which is exactly what I just did. It's the cheapest ASUS manufactured
AMD chipped board from one of the on-line retailers.

jockey-gtk offered two versions of the ATI driver. The
post-release-updates driver failed to install but the other one went in
just fine. Rebooted the computer and everything now works smoothly,
about 10 times quicker than before by my reckoning.

I tried updating a spreadsheet with the same Libre Office while chrome
was open. Everything was fast, stable and correct looking. I hope it
continues to be the case, but I have to say that I now feel much more
confident in this computer.

Like I saw somebody else on here state, I'm never again going to
purchase the products of a certain graphics card company.

Not tried swapping to the XP HDD yet, but that's not really a topic for
this list I suppose.

Dave

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I've been using Linux since the Slackware floppy disk install days and
have had nary a problem with nVidia. So, I don't use anything else. I've
installed two new video boards in the last 6 months. Nary a burp in the
barrel. When I installed my new motherboard, I did have to edit my bios
to turn off the onboard graphic chipset and set it to the PCIe slot for
it to roll. Just another learning curve and nothing to do with the
viability of an addon video card. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM
David Fletcher

On Tue, 2012-09-18 at 04:14 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> I've been using Linux since the Slackware floppy disk install days and
> have had nary a problem with nVidia. So, I don't use anything else. I've
> installed two new video boards in the last 6 months. Nary a burp in the
> barrel. When I installed my new motherboard, I did have to edit my bios
> to turn off the onboard graphic chipset and set it to the PCIe slot for
> it to roll. Just another learning curve and nothing to do with the
> viability of an addon video card. Ric

Fact 1
This computer used to work just fine until I upgraded to 12.04. Then the
desktop became jumpy instead of smooth in operation, sometimes
unresponsive, and LibreOffice spreadsheets in particular would screw up
big time.

Fact 2
Since I tossed out the nvidia card a couple of days ago and installed a
similar spec. (less than 20 quid, silent, fanless) AMD chipped card, the
computer has been working perfectly again.

Draw your own conclusions from the facts.

Dave

Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Simple, either you did not install your nVidia driver correctly or your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file was hosed somehow during your upgrade. Myself, I
never "upgrade". Too many old crufty setup/conf files get left behind
and Ubuntu can be a real moving target between versions. Nope, if I have
a problem with my nVidia setup, which I have had in the past, it'll be
because something wasn't set right in xorg.conf, and setting it right
fixes it. Every time. Sorry you had a bad time. But, installing that AMD
chipset meant you got some fresh config files and that worked. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-23-2012, 10:38 AM
David Fletcher

On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 06:10 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> Simple, either you did not install your nVidia driver correctly or your
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file was hosed somehow during your upgrade. Myself, I
> never "upgrade". Too many old crufty setup/conf files get left behind
> and Ubuntu can be a real moving target between versions. Nope, if I have
> a problem with my nVidia setup, which I have had in the past, it'll be
> because something wasn't set right in xorg.conf, and setting it right
> fixes it. Every time. Sorry you had a bad time. But, installing that AMD
> chipset meant you got some fresh config files and that worked. Ric

Sorry Ric, the wrong word popped out. I upgraded, by doing a fresh
install onto a swapped hard drive.

I use one of two hard drives at a time with a caddy system. The one I am
now using did have Hardy on it until I wiped it to install 12.04. The
drive I was previously using is now sitting safely on the shelf still
with the Maverick install. I'm getting cautious these days.

Dave