Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Liam Proven

Default LibreOffice with Unity buggy?

On 3 September 2012 11:20, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
> in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
> written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.
>
> Please take a look here:-
> http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png
> which is on my home server and see if it looks familiar to anybody.
>
> This only happens on my desktop computer with the nvidia graphics card
> in it, never yet seen on the netbook. What's the likelihood of this
> being due to the nvidia driver that's frequently complained about?
>
> lspci produces:-
> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200
> LE] (rev a1)

What nVidia drivers are you using?

> Important question:-
> If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an ATI
> card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to operate? My
> guess is that it would, but I just want a little reassurance from the
> list.

Should be fine.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 14:10 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> What nVidia drivers are you using?

Not really sure how to tell. I've tried a couple of different settings
without improvement. The computer works fine except for the jumpiness of
the desktop selection tool and the PITA of Libre Office.

What incantation do I use to answer this question?

> > Important question:-
> > If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an ATI
> > card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to operate? My
> > guess is that it would, but I just want a little reassurance from the
> > list.
>
> Should be fine.

In that case I might just spend 20 quid and get an ATI card instead.
Would have done it before installing 12.04 if I'd known, only the one I
have always worked perfectly with Hardy and Maverick. Guess it'll then
be fun and games next time I plug in the XP hard drive that I very
occasionally need to use.

Dave

Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 September 2012 15:09, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 14:10 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> What nVidia drivers are you using?
>
> Not really sure how to tell. I've tried a couple of different settings
> without improvement. The computer works fine except for the jumpiness of
> the desktop selection tool and the PITA of Libre Office.
>
> What incantation do I use to answer this question?

Do you have a file /etc/X.11/xorg.conf? If so, could you post it here
or on pastebin?
http://paste.ubuntu.com/

Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".

If it doesn't work or you don't have it, run the command "jockey" and
it will download and install the nVidia drivers for you.

> In that case I might just spend 20 quid and get an ATI card instead.
> Would have done it before installing 12.04 if I'd known, only the one I
> have always worked perfectly with Hardy and Maverick. Guess it'll then
> be fun and games next time I plug in the XP hard drive that I very
> occasionally need to use.

You also need proprietary drivers for the best results with ATI.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Colin Law

On 3 September 2012 14:09, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 September 2012 13:39, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 3 September 2012 13:22, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:

>>> OT:
>>> Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type that
>>> overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above link, I get
>>> a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't display the .png.
>>
>> Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
>> actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?
>
> Um. How would one use LibreOffice to click on a link in an email message?

I don't know, maybe there is a way of reading email in a libreoffice
app. I thought there had to be some relationship to the thread
subject, but possibly not.
Gene: I think you had better start a new thread, tell us which mail
reader you are clicking the link in, is it all web links there? What
have you got set for System Settings > Details > Web (but in a new
thread please)?

Colin

Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 September 2012 15:27, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 September 2012 14:09, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
>>> actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?
>>
>> Um. How would one use LibreOffice to click on a link in an email message?
>
> I don't know, maybe there is a way of reading email in a libreoffice
> app. I thought there had to be some relationship to the thread
> subject, but possibly not.

Not AFAIK. I guess you could save a webpage from a webmail program and
open it for viewing.

> Gene: I think you had better start a new thread, tell us which mail
> reader you are clicking the link in, is it all web links there? What
> have you got set for System Settings > Details > Web (but in a new
> thread please)?

:¬)

Well put.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 03 September 2012 10:38:40 Colin Law did opine:

> On 3 September 2012 13:22, Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the
> >> display in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu
> >> headers over written with crap) without it taking down the rest of
> >> the system.
> >>
> >> Please take a look here:-
> >> http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png
> >
> > OT:
> > Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type
> > that overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above
> > link, I get a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't
> > display the .png.
>
> Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
> actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?
>
> Colin

No Colin, in this case its clicking on a url or attachment in an incoming
msg in kmail that leads to a .png, and instead of firefox, which has no
problem with the .png's, several seconds later it opens a wine session
running wines version of OE. And I can't seem to find where it gets
redirected to wine/Outlook Explorer. Its a PITA that only started a couple
weeks ago but I've had wine installed for Sketchup for months.

Thanks.

> > For some reason, this 10-04.4 system has no mime prefs editor.
> >
> > Has anyone a clue where that is so I can nuke the SOB? Or do I have
> > to remove wine?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >> which is on my home server and see if it looks familiar to anybody.
> >>
> >> This only happens on my desktop computer with the nvidia graphics
> >> card in it, never yet seen on the netbook. What's the likelihood of
> >> this being due to the nvidia driver that's frequently complained
> >> about?
> >>
> >> lspci produces:-
> >> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44 [GeForce
> >> 6200 LE] (rev a1)
> >>

> >> Important question:-
> >> If I were to turn off this computer, replace the nvidia card with an
> >> ATI card, then switch the computer back on, would it continue to
> >> operate? My guess is that it would, but I just want a little
> >> reassurance from the list.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
> > --

> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> >
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > My web page: <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up!
> > Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!
> >
> > --

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug
Administration.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Ric Moore

On Monday 03 September 2012 08:16:40 David Fletcher did opine:

Hi all,

I've managed to do a screen grab of Libre Office screwing up the display
in the manner I was complaining about (row, column and menu headers over
written with crap) without it taking down the rest of the system.

Please take a look here:-
http://flightmaker.hopto.org/ubuntulist/ScrewedUpLODisplay.png

OT:
Something, probably associated with wine, has installed a mime.type that
overrides the ubuntu version, so that when I click on the above link, I get
a session of wine, running IE, which of course can't display the .png.

Do you mean when you click it in LibreOffice (in which case it is
actually Ctrl-Click I think)? Is it ok if you click it in Firefox?

Um. How would one use LibreOffice to click on a link in an email message?

It's standard for a powerpoint attachment to open it with OO. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 AM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".

I can. It says, amongst loads of other stuff,
Operating system Linux-x86_64
NVIDIA Driver Version 295.40

Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/09/12 16:43, David Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".

I can. It says, amongst loads of other stuff,
Operating system Linux-x86_64
NVIDIA Driver Version 295.40

The latest driver, BTW, is 304.37.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.9.0 & kernel 3.5.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM
David Fletcher

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 17:00 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 04/09/12 16:43, David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 15:14 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> >> Alternatively, see if you can run a command called "nvidia-settings".
> >>
> > I can. It says, amongst loads of other stuff,
> > Operating system Linux-x86_64
> > NVIDIA Driver Version 295.40
>
> The latest driver, BTW, is 304.37.

I tried jockey-gtk. It said that driver 295.40 was the recommended
version but there appeared to be a later one. Told it to activate the
later one.

My computer is still working, obviously, and now says I have driver
version 295.49. Don't know if it's made any difference. We'll see I
guess.

The graphics card is now several years old, can't remember exactly.
Maybe this is why the latest driver isn't being loaded?

Just tried loading a spreadsheet into LibreOffice, at the same time as I
had Evolution and Chrome working. It behaved itself, but sometimes it
does and sometimes it doesn't so as I said above, we'll have to wait and

Dave