Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Thufir

Default dovecot-postfix & Java

Having stumbled around a bit, I suddenly noticed:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/dovecot-postfix

Don't know why I didn't notice that earlier in aptitude! Anyhow, what
are people's thoughts on this? I don't see any documentation, at least
not off the bat. It uses IMAP or POP3?

I want to use Java to parse messages, and that seems difficult with just
postfix. Apparently doveadm works well..? You can use Java with it?

thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Avi Greenbury

Thufir wrote:

> Don't know why I didn't notice that earlier in aptitude! Anyhow,
> what are people's thoughts on this? I don't see any documentation,
> at least not off the bat. It uses IMAP or POP3?

I've not used that particular package, but Postfix and Dovecot has been
my standard mailer for a while. Dovecot will speak IMAP and/or POP3,
in cleartext and/or SSL. Neither's likely to be found lacking.

> I want to use Java to parse messages, and that seems difficult with
> just postfix. Apparently doveadm works well..? You can use Java
> with it?

How is your java expecting to interact with it? You can pipe mail into
scripts and binaries with /etc/aliases which wouldn't require an IMAP or
POP server, but if your app only speaks POP or IMAP I suppose you'll
need one of them

--
Avi

Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Thufir

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:53:24 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:

>> I want to use Java to parse messages, and that seems difficult with
>> just postfix. Apparently doveadm works well..? You can use Java with
>> it?
>
> How is your java expecting to interact with it? You can pipe mail into
> scripts and binaries with /etc/aliases which wouldn't require an IMAP or
> POP server, but if your app only speaks POP or IMAP I suppose you'll
> need one of them

Yeah, that's a bit more problematic then I expected. I find the javamail
API lacking, but it looks like the only real option.

-Thufir

Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

There is a very good tutorial here :*http://workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze

Based on Debian Squeeze but you will enjoy it and in my opinion find answers to all your questions.
Freddy

Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Thufir

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:43:36 +0200, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:

> There is a very good tutorial here :
> http://workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze
>
> Based on Debian Squeeze but you will enjoy it and in my opinion find
> answers to all your questions.
> Freddy

Thanks, I'll check it out

-Thufir