FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default Try this out for me...?

Hi all.

I have found that IPv6 does not seem function correctly for a VirtualBox
VM bridged to a wireless interface, even when the wireless interface is
working flawlessly for the host.

Are you in an IPv6 network? Do you have VirtualBox installed? Do you
normally communicate via wifi? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you
could try this and let me know how you go (off list is fine, I'll
summarise).

- install a VM, OS is irrelevant as long as it supports IPv6

- configure the VM network interface to be bridged to the host adapter
(wlan0 or similar)

- see whether you have fully functional IPv6 on the VM

My experience is that I get weird partial functionality. I see
autoconfigured addresses and so on, but no useful connectivity is
possible - no pings, nothing. Neighbor discovery does not complete. And
yes, I have checked that no firewalls or packet filters are in the way.

The current suspects are my access point (an ancient Netgear, but the
host works fine over wifi), the wifi driver in Linux (but the host works
fine over wifi), and the VirtualBox network drivers (though they work
fine when the VM is bridged to an ethernet adapter)...

I've now seen this on 10.10 and 12.04, with two different wifi drivers
and across two versions of VirtualBox.

Regards, K.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 PM
sktsee
 
Default Try this out for me...?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:18:33 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I have found that IPv6 does not seem function correctly for a VirtualBox
> VM bridged to a wireless interface, even when the wireless interface is
> working flawlessly for the host.
[snip]


http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#idp12615680

"On Linux hosts, functionality is limited when using wireless interfaces
for bridged networking. Currently, VirtualBox supports only IPv4 over
wireless. For other protocols such as IPv6 and IPX, you must choose a
wired interface."

--
sktsee


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default Try this out for me...?

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 12:28 +0000, sktsee wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:18:33 +1000, Karl Auer wrote:
> > I have found that IPv6 does not seem function correctly for a VirtualBox
> > VM bridged to a wireless interface, even when the wireless interface is
> > working flawlessly for the host.
> [snip]
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#idp12615680
>
> "On Linux hosts, functionality is limited when using wireless interfaces
> for bridged networking. Currently, VirtualBox supports only IPv4 over
> wireless. For other protocols such as IPv6 and IPX, you must choose a
> wired interface."

I hate it when that happens :-) Thanks for the pointer.

I wonder when Oracle will get with the program and fix this? IPX might
not be a big priority, but IPv6?!?

Fascinating that router advertisements work just dandy, but other stuff
doesn't.

Thanks, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://www.biplane.com.au/blog

GPG fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017
Old fingerprint: DA41 51B1 1481 16E1 F7E2 B2E9 3007 14ED 5736 F687


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM
"Joep L. Blom"
 
Default Try this out for me...?

On 26-08-12 12:18, Karl Auer wrote:

Hi all.

I have found that IPv6 does not seem function correctly for a VirtualBox
VM bridged to a wireless interface, even when the wireless interface is
working flawlessly for the host.

Are you in an IPv6 network? Do you have VirtualBox installed? Do you
normally communicate via wifi? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you
could try this and let me know how you go (off list is fine, I'll
summarise).

- install a VM, OS is irrelevant as long as it supports IPv6

- configure the VM network interface to be bridged to the host adapter
(wlan0 or similar)

- see whether you have fully functional IPv6 on the VM

My experience is that I get weird partial functionality. I see
autoconfigured addresses and so on, but no useful connectivity is
possible - no pings, nothing. Neighbor discovery does not complete. And
yes, I have checked that no firewalls or packet filters are in the way.

The current suspects are my access point (an ancient Netgear, but the
host works fine over wifi), the wifi driver in Linux (but the host works
fine over wifi), and the VirtualBox network drivers (though they work
fine when the VM is bridged to an ethernet adapter)...

I've now seen this on 10.10 and 12.04, with two different wifi drivers
and across two versions of VirtualBox.

Regards, K.




Karl,
I don't know if it will help you but you can try VMware and see if they
are a little more advanced as IPv6 actually should be the standard since
at least > 10 years. I must confess I also still work with IPv4 but
that's I am lazy and follow the majority.

Joep


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM
NoOp
 
Default Try this out for me...?

On 08/26/2012 07:56 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 26-08-12 12:18, Karl Auer wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I have found that IPv6 does not seem function correctly for a VirtualBox
>> VM bridged to a wireless interface, even when the wireless interface is
>> working flawlessly for the host.
>>
>> Are you in an IPv6 network? Do you have VirtualBox installed? Do you
>> normally communicate via wifi? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you
>> could try this and let me know how you go (off list is fine, I'll
>> summarise).
>>
>> - install a VM, OS is irrelevant as long as it supports IPv6
>>
>> - configure the VM network interface to be bridged to the host adapter
>> (wlan0 or similar)
>>
>> - see whether you have fully functional IPv6 on the VM
>>
>> My experience is that I get weird partial functionality. I see
>> autoconfigured addresses and so on, but no useful connectivity is
>> possible - no pings, nothing. Neighbor discovery does not complete. And
>> yes, I have checked that no firewalls or packet filters are in the way.
>>
>> The current suspects are my access point (an ancient Netgear, but the
>> host works fine over wifi), the wifi driver in Linux (but the host works
>> fine over wifi), and the VirtualBox network drivers (though they work
>> fine when the VM is bridged to an ethernet adapter)...
>>
>> I've now seen this on 10.10 and 12.04, with two different wifi drivers
>> and across two versions of VirtualBox.
>>
>> Regards, K.
>>
>>
>
> Karl,
> I don't know if it will help you but you can try VMware and see if they
> are a little more advanced as IPv6 actually should be the standard since
> at least > 10 years. I must confess I also still work with IPv4 but
> that's I am lazy and follow the majority.
> Joep
>
>

Not sure if this help either, but I run VMWare Player (5.0.0 on newer
64bit machine & 3.1.5 on 32bit machine) on my laptops and miredo (Teredo
tunnel) works w/o issue.
Host(s): Ubuntu 12.04 and also Win7
Guest(s): Ubuntu 12.04, Fedora 17, WinXP
Network: Wifi on the host
Bridge from guest to host - host is running wifi only.

Sample from Ubuntu 12.04 guest:

$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:29:23:87:80
inet addr:192.168.4.206 Bcast:192.168.4.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe23:8780/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2085 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1042 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:2033131 (2.0 MB) TX bytes:111967 (111.9 KB)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:156 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:156 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:12971 (12.9 KB) TX bytes:12971 (12.9 KB)

teredo Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
inet6 addr: fe80::ffff:ffff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: 2001:0:53aa:64c:382a:7435:ba1b:a1e1/32 Scope:Global
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1280 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:144 (144.0 B)

$ ping6 ipv6.google.com
PING ipv6.google.com(nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=371 ms
64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=16.5 ms
64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=17.2 ms
^C
--- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2022ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.509/135.031/371.306/167.072 ms

Connection to ipv6-test.com shows all working fine. I can also connect
to other machines on my lan using ipv6.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM
NoOp
 
Default Try this out for me...?

On 08/27/2012 03:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
...

> teredo Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
> 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
> inet6 addr: fe80::ffff:ffff:ffff/64 Scope:Link
> inet6 addr: 2001:0:53aa:64c:382a:7435:ba1b:a1e1/32 Scope:Global
> UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1280 Metric:1
> RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:500
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:144 (144.0 B)
>
> $ ping6 ipv6.google.com
> PING ipv6.google.com(nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net) 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=371 ms
> 64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=16.5 ms
> 64 bytes from nuq04s07-in-x14.1e100.net: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=17.2 ms
> ^C
> --- ipv6.google.com ping statistics ---
> 3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2022ms
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.509/135.031/371.306/167.072 ms
>
> Connection to ipv6-test.com shows all working fine. I can also connect
> to other machines on my lan using ipv6.

Sorry, forgot to include the ipv6-test.com info:
Test with IPv4 DNS record
ok (0.363s) using ipv4
Test with IPv6 DNS record
ok (0.622s) using ipv6 Teredo
Test with Dual Stack DNS record
ok (0.249s) using ipv4
Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet
ok (0.130s) using ipv4
Test IPv4 without DNS
ok (0.116s) using ipv4
Test IPv6 without DNS
ok (0.349s) using ipv6 Teredo
Test IPv6 large packet
ok (0.174s) using ipv6 Teredo




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org