Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 AM
Ben Coleman

Default How do you adjust the "resolution" of a machine with no monitor attached?

I just threw together a Mythbuntu 12.04 box to play with. I don't have
a spare monitor (not space to put it) to put on it, but I figured I
should still be able to configure it via VNC, since the install is nice
enough to provide the ability to enable it. Problem is, with no monitor
attached, video comes up with a max resolution of 640x480, and when I
VNC in, that's what I get. I'd rather VNC in and get at least 1024x768,
or maybe 1280xu768. Is there an easy way to get the system to come up
in a higher resolution without plugging in a monitor?

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn@benshome.net | For the wise man, doing right trumps
http://oloryn.benshome.net/ | looking right. For the fool, looking

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 AM
"Hermann J. Beckers"

Am Sunday, 26. August 2012 schrieb Ben Coleman:
> I just threw together a Mythbuntu 12.04 box to play with. I don't have
> a spare monitor (not space to put it) to put on it, but I figured I
> should still be able to configure it via VNC, since the install is nice
> enough to provide the ability to enable it. Problem is, with no monitor
> attached, video comes up with a max resolution of 640x480, and when I
> VNC in, that's what I get. I'd rather VNC in and get at least 1024x768,
> or maybe 1280xu768. Is there an easy way to get the system to come up
> in a higher resolution without plugging in a monitor?
>
> Ben

How do you start your vncserver? vncserver has an option "-geometry " that you
could use.

HTH
hjb

Old 08-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Colin Law

On 26 August 2012 08:25, Hermann J. Beckers <hjb-news@onlinehome.de> wrote:
> Am Sunday, 26. August 2012 schrieb Ben Coleman:
>> I just threw together a Mythbuntu 12.04 box to play with. I don't have
>> a spare monitor (not space to put it) to put on it, but I figured I
>> should still be able to configure it via VNC, since the install is nice
>> enough to provide the ability to enable it. Problem is, with no monitor
>> attached, video comes up with a max resolution of 640x480, and when I
>> VNC in, that's what I get. I'd rather VNC in and get at least 1024x768,
>> or maybe 1280xu768. Is there an easy way to get the system to come up
>> in a higher resolution without plugging in a monitor?
>>
>> Ben
>
> How do you start your vncserver? vncserver has an option "-geometry " that you
> could use.

I assumed that set the window size on the client. I think the OP
wants to set the screen resolution that the server is using.

I too am hoping for a solution to this problem.

Colin

Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
PleegWat

Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM