FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-25-2012, 07:40 AM
 
Default The system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit and realise that that
there the system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal. Why? How can I
fix this?

I tried to follow this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1377990
and have a success but this isn't that what I want: the internal PC
Speaker to bell in a gnome-terminal.

Can one find a solution for this issue on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64
bit with Unity Desktop at all?

--
Regards from Pal


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Colin Law
 
Default The system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal

On 25 August 2012 08:40, Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit and realise that that
> there the system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal. Why? How can I
> fix this?

What are you doing that should sound the bell but is not?

Colin

>
> I tried to follow this:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1377990
> and have a success but this isn't that what I want: the internal PC
> Speaker to bell in a gnome-terminal.
>
> Can one find a solution for this issue on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64
> bit with Unity Desktop at all?
>
> --
> Regards from Pal
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Default The system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal

Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> writes:

> On 25 August 2012 08:40, Csányi Pál <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I just installed Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit and realise that that
>> there the system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal. Why? How can I
>> fix this?
>
> What are you doing that should sound the bell but is not?

I did the followings.

1. Edited /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
#blacklist pcspkr

2. Edited /etc/pulse/default.pa
### Load X11 bell module
load-module module-x11-bell sample=bell-windowing-system

3. Enable in gnome-terminal the Terminal Bell by checking it.

4. Relogin into Unity environment.

5. Tried also to run the command in gnome-terminal:
'xset b on'.

6. When I run 'beep' I can heare the sound, but that isn't the sound of
the PC's internal speaker.

7. When I run 'echo foo | wall' I can heare the PC's internal speaker.

8. Also I'm trying to setup the sound with:
dconf-editor

I find something here:
dconf/
org/
gnome/
settings-daemon/
peripherals/
keyboard

The fields follows:
bell-custom-file: is empty
bell-duration: 100
bell-mode: on
bell-pitch: 400
click: checked in
click-volume: 0
delay: 500
etc.

9. Also I'm trying to setup the sound with:
ccsm, that is, the CompizConfig

Here in General Settings I have checked in the Bell.

--
Regards from Pal


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM
"Murat D. Kadirov"
 
Default The system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal

On 25.08.2012 13:40, Csányi Pál wrote:

Hi,

I just installed Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit and realise that that
there the system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal. Why? How can I
fix this?

I tried to follow this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1377990
and have a success but this isn't that what I want: the internal PC
Speaker to bell in a gnome-terminal.

Can one find a solution for this issue on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64
bit with Unity Desktop at all?

Is it laptop? If so, not all laptops have internal speaker. If have,
they can be enabled/disabled from BIOS.


--
Murat D. Kadirov
PGP fingerprint: 3081 EBFA 5CB9 BD24 4DB6 76EE 1B97 0A0E CEC0 6AA0


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Default The system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal

"Murat D. Kadirov" <md.kadirov@gmail.com> writes:

> On 25.08.2012 13:40, Csányi Pál wrote:

>> I just installed Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64 bit and realise that that
>> there the system bell doesn't work in a gnome-terminal. Why? How can I
>> fix this?
>>
>> I tried to follow this:
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1377990
>> and have a success but this isn't that what I want: the internal PC
>> Speaker to bell in a gnome-terminal.
>>
>> Can one find a solution for this issue on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04.1 LTS 64
>> bit with Unity Desktop at all?
>>
> Is it laptop? If so, not all laptops have internal speaker. If have,
> they can be enabled/disabled from BIOS.

See in my previous mail:
>> 7. When I run 'echo foo | wall' I can heare the PC's internal speaker.

This is a Desktop Machine, a PC Box, not a laptop.

--
Regards from Pal


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org