Old 09-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Marius Gedminas

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On Fri, Sep 07, 2012 at 01:53:06PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
> >> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f
>
> I've just posted the log from that command to the bug report
>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/36>
>
> It finished with a whimper rather than a bang. The last line in the log
> is just:
>
> Processing triggers for libreoffice-common ...
>
> I'm not quite sure where that leaves me and the system,

It leaves you with a consistent package state, but the upgrade not
necessarily complete.

> What's the next step? Run do-release-upgrade again?

The next (and hopefully last) step would be

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

since do-release-upgrade would just tell you (incorrectly) you're
already running precise -- as far as I remember from my own experience
with failed distribution upgrades.

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Dave Howorth

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> It leaves you with a consistent package state, but the upgrade not
> necessarily complete.
>
>> What's the next step? Run do-release-upgrade again?
>
> The next (and hopefully last) step would be
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> since do-release-upgrade would just tell you (incorrectly) you're
> already running precise -- as far as I remember from my own experience
> with failed distribution upgrades.

I decided to try do-release-upgrade, since your prognosis was that it
would just fail without causing more damage, and the bug comment that
Noop pointed me back to hinted that it might work. The good news is that
it did work and the system is now running precise.

There's still one outstanding issue which is that the graphics display
is borked. Both the grub menu and the splash screen are now using modes
that my monitor can't cope with. But that will have to wait until I've
upgraded all the perl modules that were effectively uninstalled by the
perl 5.10.1 -> 5.14.2 upgrade.

I'll post an update to the bug report after I figure out the graphics
problem.

Thanks for your help.
Dave

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Dave Howorth

NoOp wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 04:07 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> I haven't run that particular variation before - haven't seen it
>> anywhere AFAIK and nobody's asked me to run it. Anyway it's now doing a
>> lot of unpacking and replacing and processing so hopefully it is making
>> some progress. More later when it finishes.
>
> Perhaps you should have read the bug report that I pointed you to
> several days ago... :-)

Perhaps I should have a better memory as well

Clearly "haven't ... AFAIK" in this case really meant "have"! But I'd
forgotten.

> Regarding your python warnings:

Hmm, don't know anything much about python. It's just something the
system uses.

> Regarding the 'Setting locale failed' - are you still doing all of this
> via ssh?
> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/144235/locale-variables-have-no-effect-in-remote-shell-perl-warning-setting-locale-f>

Yes, I use the Danish locale for time display, since I prefer ISO
format, so I just had to re-add that locale. Not sure why the upgrade
lost it but that's way down in the noise.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 AM
NoOp

On 09/10/2012 08:03 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> It leaves you with a consistent package state, but the upgrade not
>> necessarily complete.
>>
>>> What's the next step? Run do-release-upgrade again?
>>
>> The next (and hopefully last) step would be
>>
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> since do-release-upgrade would just tell you (incorrectly) you're
>> already running precise -- as far as I remember from my own experience
>> with failed distribution upgrades.
>
> I decided to try do-release-upgrade, since your prognosis was that it
> would just fail without causing more damage, and the bug comment that
> Noop pointed me back to hinted that it might work. The good news is that
> it did work and the system is now running precise.
>
> There's still one outstanding issue which is that the graphics display
> is borked. Both the grub menu and the splash screen are now using modes
> that my monitor can't cope with. But that will have to wait until I've
> upgraded all the perl modules that were effectively uninstalled by the
> perl 5.10.1 -> 5.14.2 upgrade.
>
> I'll post an update to the bug report after I figure out the graphics
> problem.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Dave

Excellent!

For the grub screen, I have to uncomment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480' in
/etc/default/grub:

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

in order to get my grub menu proper. If you try the same, just be sure to:

$ sudo update-grub

afterwards so that the change will take effect.

They've had to break out the grub2 help files in to multiple sections,
but they are still worth a review:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Editing_the_File>
[#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480]

Gary

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
"G. Christopher Tuck Jr"

Following up a thread I found on this topic. Have a partial upgrade to 12.04 completed. When I attempt to upgrade, it failes. I see the following when trying the fixes presented:

root@TuckVPS:/# apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree * * **
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... failed.
* python: Depends: python-minimal (= 2.6.5-0ubuntu1) but 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 is installed
* python2.7-minimal: Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

My Current Version of Python is:*2.6.5-0ubuntu1

root@TuckVPS:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -l python
||/ Name * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Version * * * * * * * * * * * * * Description
+++-=================================-=================================-
ii *python * * * * * * * * * * * * * *2.6.5-0ubuntu1 * * * * * * * * * *An interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version)

I have tried a number of things with apt-get, aptitude, and dpkg to force the upgrade to Python2.7-minimal and nothing has worked. Found*https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-defaults/+bug/990740*and tried many of the suggestions there.*I have tried*re-installing*2.6 and 2.5. The next thing I can think to do is manually remove the*2.7.3-0ubuntu2. Aptitude offers some remedies yet never is able to complete them.

Thanks for any insight or help in advance.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM
"G. Christopher Tuck Jr"

A little more info on this problem. Synaptic Package Manager alerts me to 2 broken*dependencies:

python (Installed:*2.6.5-0ubuntu1, Latest:*2.7.3-0ubuntu2)
python2.7-minimal (Installed:*2.7.3-0ubuntu3.1, Latest:*2.7.3-0ubuntu3.1)

When I check Properties > Dependencies for python, it shows a Conflict for the following:

libboost-dbg (<1.34.1-15ubuntu3)
libboost-python-dev (<1.34.1-15ubuntu3)
libboost-python1.35-dev
libboost1.35-dbg
pitivi (<0.11.3-1ubuntu1)
python-aubio (<0.3.2-2ubuntu3)
python-base
python-bz2
python-central (<0.5.5)
python-csv
python-freevo (<1.8.1-3ubuntu3)
python-xmlbase
python2.1
python3.1
qmtest (<2.4-5ubuntu1)
ufw (<0.27~r416)

When I check Properties > Dependencies for python2.7-minimal, it shows a Conflict for the following:

binfmt-support (<1.1.2)

Here is the error I get still when running 'apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f':

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree * * **
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... failed.
* * python: Depends: python-minimal (= 2.6.5-0ubuntu1) but 2.7.3-0ubuntu2 is installed
* * python2.7-minimal: Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

Thanks again.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Jan Litwiński

Dnia środa, 12 września 2012 16:04:12 G. Christopher Tuck Jr pisze:
> A little more info on this problem. Synaptic Package Manager alerts me
to 2
> broken dependencies:

better use fresh install

--
Jan Litwiński
http://netsjanek.blogspot.com/

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 PM
"G. Christopher Tuck Jr"

Jan,

If that was an option, I would have done this already and not be hunting for a solution.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
"G. Christopher Tuck Jr"

I was able to determine a not so clean fix.

I ran the following commands to manually remove Python and Python2.6-minimal:

dpkg --remove --force-all python

dpkg --remove --force-all python2.6-minimal

I then downlaoded the latest Debian Packages and ran:

dpkg --install --force-all*python_2.7.1-0ubuntu5_all.deb

dpkg --install --force-all*python-minimal_2.7.1-0ubuntu5_all.deb

I now see the following for Python

root@TuckVPS:/# dpkg -l python*
||/ Name * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Version * * * * * * * * * * * * * Description
+++-=================================-
ii *python * * * * * * * * * * * * * *2.7.1-0ubuntu5 * * * * * * * *interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version)

I then ran:
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get update
apt-get install -f

That fixed the final*dependencies.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Dave Howorth

NoOp wrote:
> For the grub screen, I have to uncomment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480' in
> /etc/default/grub:

Excellent! That solved that problem, thanks

On to the next one ...