FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Dave Howorth
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> It's a bit hard to keep track of this thread. AFAIU at the moment
>> you've solved the lxdm problem, but the suggested workarounds for the
>> 'python-minimal preconfiguration failed' do not work.
>
> That's my understanding too.
>
>> *scratches head*
>>
>> *grasps straws*

I've already said that I don't understand apt and dpkg much but I'm
confused by why apt and dpkg show different things:

# apt-cache search 'python.*minimal'
python-minimal - minimal subset of the Python language (default version)
python3-minimal - minimal subset of the Python language (default
python3 version)
python2.7-minimal - Minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.7)
python3.2-minimal - Minimal subset of the Python language (version 3.2)
python2.6-minimal - A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.6)

# dpkg -l * | grep minimal
ii libklibc 1.5.17-4ubuntu1
minimal libc subset for use with initramfs
ii lxmusic 0.4.2-2
The minimalist music player for LXDE
ii perl-base 5.10.1-8ubuntu2.1
minimal Perl system
ii python-minimal 2.6.5-0ubuntu1
A minimal subset of the Python language (default version)
ii python2.6-minimal 2.6.5-1ubuntu6
A minimal subset of the Python language (version 2.6)
ii ubuntu-minimal 1.197
Minimal core of Ubuntu

Why does dpkg not know about the new versions?
And what decides what should be installed?
i.e. why does apt-get say:

python-minimal: Depends: python2.7-minimal (>= 2.7.3) but it is not
going to be installed

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
NoOp
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On 09/06/2012 07:49 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> - Run through these commands in the exact order provided:
>>>
>>> a. apt-get install update-manager-core
>>
>> This fails with a long list of dependency problems followed by
>>
>> E: Unmet dependencies, Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>> specify a solution).

OK.

>>
>> I'm not sure whether you expect that and I should carry on with steps
>> b,c,d etc but given what you say about repeating steps I'll carry on and
>> see if things do eventually settle down.
>>
>>> b. apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
>>> c. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>> d. apt-get install -- reinstall ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
>
> I assumed the space between -- and reinstall was a typo.

It was - thanks for the catch.

>
>>> Note: the 'lubuntu-desktop' is because you installed ldxe - you can
>>> leave it off if you wish, but ensure that you 'install --reinstall
>>> ubuntu-desktop'.)
>>> e. apt-get -f install
>>> f. dpkg --configure -a
>
> I got as far as here with every command giving errors. One thing I'm not
> clear about is when apt-get finishes by saying "E:..whatever.." has it
> actually done anything? The man page says nothing about the output.

It tried but failed. I will install 10.04 on a test system & see if I
can get it to fail in the same manner. Copy & paste the output of the
following to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
$ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Note: to use pastebin, just paste in the content box, put a name (any
name) in the Poster box, click 'Paste!' and post the resulting url here.
Example:
<http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/1189309/>

Note: I realise that you mentioned to Marius:
> > What's the content of your /etc/apt/sources.list? It should be
> > mentioning 'precise', not 'lucid'.

All the enabled repositories are for precise.

but in order to try to reproduce I'll need to duplicate your
sources.list on my machine. So please past the full
/etc/apt/sources.list on pastebin.ubuntu.com. Thanks.


...


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Avi Greenbury
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth wrote:

> I've already said that I don't understand apt and dpkg much but I'm
> confused by why apt and dpkg show different things:
>
> # apt-cache search 'python.*minimal'

Here you're asking apt for available packages
>
> # dpkg -l * | grep minimal

Amd here you're asking dpkg for a list of installed packages.

> Why does dpkg not know about the new versions?

Essentially, dpkg is the package manager. It is responsible for
installing and uninstalling packages, and keeping track of which
version of what you have installed. It is only concerned with what's
going on locally.

apt* (the apt- tools and aptitude) are the remote bits - they know
where packages come from and can go and get them. When you ask one of
them to install a package they first check with dpkg that it isn't
already installed, and then check with their own cache to find whether
it is available. If it is available they then download it and ask dpkg
what else needs to be installed for the package to work. They then go
and repeat the process for each of these packages (and all and any of
their dependencies). Once they've downloaded the list of packages they
then get dpkg to install them.

> And what decides what should be installed?
> i.e. why does apt-get say:
>
> python-minimal: Depends: python2.7-minimal (>= 2.7.3) but it is not
> going to be installed

The maintainer of the python-minimal package has said, when building
the package, that it requires python2.7-minimal of version 2.7.3 or
greater.

There's a few reasons it might be 'not going to be installed
unfortunately, and apt is rarely clear on the reasons. You can try
attempting explicitly installing it:

apt-get install python2.7-minimal

to see if that is more wordy on reason. It's *possible* (but I'd hope
unlikely) that 2.6 conflicts with 2.7.

--
Avi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
NoOp
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On 09/06/2012 10:26 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 07:49 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> NoOp wrote:
>>>> - Run through these commands in the exact order provided:
>>>>
>>>> a. apt-get install update-manager-core
>>>
>>> This fails with a long list of dependency problems followed by
>>>
>>> E: Unmet dependencies, Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>>> specify a solution).
>
> OK.
>
>>>
>>> I'm not sure whether you expect that and I should carry on with steps
>>> b,c,d etc but given what you say about repeating steps I'll carry on and
>>> see if things do eventually settle down.
>>>
>>>> b. apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
>>>> c. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>>> d. apt-get install -- reinstall ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
>>
>> I assumed the space between -- and reinstall was a typo.
>
> It was - thanks for the catch.
>
>>
>>>> Note: the 'lubuntu-desktop' is because you installed ldxe - you can
>>>> leave it off if you wish, but ensure that you 'install --reinstall
>>>> ubuntu-desktop'.)
>>>> e. apt-get -f install
>>>> f. dpkg --configure -a
>>
>> I got as far as here with every command giving errors. One thing I'm not
>> clear about is when apt-get finishes by saying "E:..whatever.." has it
>> actually done anything? The man page says nothing about the output.
>
> It tried but failed. I will install 10.04 on a test system & see if I
> can get it to fail in the same manner. Copy & paste the output of the
> following to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> $ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Sorry, forgot a few more:
$ ls /var/lib/apt/lists/
$ dpkg -s python
$ apt-cache policy python

Note: please get out of root mode & return to user mode. Old school or
not, there are differences between how the commands that we ask you for
react when in root (#) mode. So please only use user mode unless asked
to use root. Thanks.

Regarding apt-cache & dpkg (dpkg-query), these may help:
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/dpkg.1.html>
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/dpkg-query.1.html>
<http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/apt-cache.8.html>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto>

I forgot about this one:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PackageManagerTroubleshootingProcedure>
I'll need to spend some time reviewing & comparing to your problem.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 04:03:19PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > Can you try
> >
> > apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal update-manager-core vim-gnome
>
> > apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal python2.7 libpython2.7 libperl5.14 tcl8.5
>
> > It'll most likely fail with an slightly different error message, but
> > maybe we'll discover (eventually) why apt fails to resolve the
> > dependencies.
>
> I tried both of those and attached the logs at
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/32

Ok, that looks like the wrong path to take. Clearly listing all the
packages it fails to install by hand is not going to work.

I'm now looking at the bug comments trying to find the error from

apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f

and I don't see it. Did you try this command? Can you?


Marius Gedminas
--
... there is always a well-known solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible, and wrong.
-- H. L. Mencken (1880-1956), "Prejudices"
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Dave Howorth
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>
>> I've already said that I don't understand apt and dpkg much but I'm
>> confused by why apt and dpkg show different things:
>>
>> # apt-cache search 'python.*minimal'
>
> Here you're asking apt for available packages
>> # dpkg -l * | grep minimal
>
> Amd here you're asking dpkg for a list of installed packages.

Doh! Note to self: RTFM. I was using a tutorial at
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/apt-get-intro/info.html and
it says dpkg will show packages that aren't installed as well when given
the * And the fact that the dpkg header says

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend

led me to believe that was true. But I now see that the man page doesn't
say that. And apt and dpkg can legitimately hold different state.

>> And what decides what should be installed?
>> i.e. why does apt-get say:
>>
>> python-minimal: Depends: python2.7-minimal (>= 2.7.3) but it is not
>> going to be installed
>
> The maintainer of the python-minimal package has said, when building
> the package, that it requires python2.7-minimal of version 2.7.3 or
> greater.
>
> There's a few reasons it might be 'not going to be installed
> unfortunately, and apt is rarely clear on the reasons. You can try
> attempting explicitly installing it:
>
> apt-get install python2.7-minimal
>
> to see if that is more wordy on reason. It's *possible* (but I'd hope
> unlikely) that 2.6 conflicts with 2.7.

Thanks for that explanation. It makes things a bit clearer for me. Sadly
the error message is the same hand-waving:

[long list of broken deps snipped]
E: Unmet dependencies.

(aside: I have to say, I do find ZYpp and friends a whole lot easier to use)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Dave Howorth
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

NoOp wrote:
> I will install 10.04 on a test system & see if I
> can get it to fail in the same manner. Copy & paste the output of the
> following to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> $ ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d

Thanks for trying this. I've attached the info to the bug report, so as
to try to keep everything together.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/34>

> Sorry, forgot a few more:
> $ ls /var/lib/apt/lists/
> $ dpkg -s python
> $ apt-cache policy python

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/35>

> there are differences between how the commands that we ask you for
> react when in root (#) mode. So please only use user mode unless asked
> to use root. Thanks.

Agreed and done.

> Regarding apt-cache & dpkg (dpkg-query), these may help:
> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/dpkg.1.html>
> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man1/dpkg-query.1.html>
> <http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man8/apt-cache.8.html>
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto>
>
> I forgot about this one:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PackageManagerTroubleshootingProcedure>
> I'll need to spend some time reviewing & comparing to your problem.

I've seen the man pages, but not yet studied them. I haven't seen the
other two, so it'll take me a while to read them now. I think that's my
next task.

Thanks again for your help,
Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Dave Howorth
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 04:03:19PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> Can you try
>>>
>>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal update-manager-core vim-gnome
>>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal python2.7 libpython2.7 libperl5.14 tcl8.5
>>> It'll most likely fail with an slightly different error message, but
>>> maybe we'll discover (eventually) why apt fails to resolve the
>>> dependencies.
>> I tried both of those and attached the logs at
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/32
>
> Ok, that looks like the wrong path to take. Clearly listing all the
> packages it fails to install by hand is not going to work.
>
> I'm now looking at the bug comments trying to find the error from
>
> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f
>
> and I don't see it. Did you try this command? Can you?
>
> Marius Gedminas

Woohoo! You're a genius Marius (or else it will all end in tears )

I haven't run that particular variation before - haven't seen it
anywhere AFAIK and nobody's asked me to run it. Anyway it's now doing a
lot of unpacking and replacing and processing so hopefully it is making
some progress. More later when it finishes.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Dave Howorth
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Dave Howorth wrote:
>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f

I've just posted the log from that command to the bug report

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/36>

It finished with a whimper rather than a bang. The last line in the log
is just:

Processing triggers for libreoffice-common ...

I'm not quite sure where that leaves me and the system, so I won't do
anything else too radical whilst I investigate the state but I do see:

$ dpkg -l python
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
|
Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version
Description
+++-==================================-==================================-================================================== ==================================
ii python 2.7.3-0ubuntu2
interactive high-level object-oriented language (default version)

and vim works again, so I'm quite hopeful.

I noticed three oddities whilst it was working:

(1) It kept asking me about supplying a mysql root password. But the
system has the default root password listed in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf So
it seems that some upgrade script(s) is/are confused.

(2) It muttered something about changing the way devices.map works but I
don't understand it immediately. Do I need to do anything?

(3) It complained:

Warning: XML::LibXML compiled against libxml2 20708, but runtime libxml2
is older 20706

Which suggests the installed perl modules were compiled against a
different version of the underlying libraries. Which I would normally
regard as borked! Is this a known issue?


I also see that /boot still only contains versions of the 2.6.32 kernel,
of which vmlinuz-2.6.32-42-generic is the most recent. So I guess the
upgrade to precise is not yet complete.

What's the next step? Run do-release-upgrade again?

Thanks again to everybody who's been helping me.
Dave

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 09-07-2012, 04:30 PM
NoOp
 
Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On 09/07/2012 04:07 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 04:03:19PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>>> Can you try
>>>>
>>>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal update-manager-core vim-gnome
>>>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal python2.7 libpython2.7 libperl5.14 tcl8.5
>>>> It'll most likely fail with an slightly different error message, but
>>>> maybe we'll discover (eventually) why apt fails to resolve the
>>>> dependencies.
>>> I tried both of those and attached the logs at
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/32
>>
>> Ok, that looks like the wrong path to take. Clearly listing all the
>> packages it fails to install by hand is not going to work.
>>
>> I'm now looking at the bug comments trying to find the error from
>>
>> apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f
>>
>> and I don't see it. Did you try this command? Can you?
>>
>> Marius Gedminas
>
> Woohoo! You're a genius Marius (or else it will all end in tears )
>
> I haven't run that particular variation before - haven't seen it
> anywhere AFAIK and nobody's asked me to run it. Anyway it's now doing a
> lot of unpacking and replacing and processing so hopefully it is making
> some progress. More later when it finishes.
>

Perhaps you should have read the bug report that I pointed you to
several days ago... :-)


<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-defaults/+bug/990740/comments/3>
<quote>
urusha (urusha) wrote on 2012-04-29: #3

I got the same error when I tried to 'do-release-upgrade' from lucid to
precise.
For me workaround was:
sudo apt-get -f install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false
And after this run 'do-release-upgrade' again.
</quote>

That command is the same as:
apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f

Glad to see that it's starting the update - I'll hold off on upgrading
the 10.04 that I installed.

Regarding your python warnings:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-support/+bug/942408>
[python-support not cleaning up during Lucid -> Precise upgrade]
Unfortunately he wasn't able to reproduce it at the time... However, he
did in this bug report:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-support/+bug/1031530>
[Lucid -> Precise upgrade does not clean up files]
The reporter is a dev...
Fixed in 2010 on maverick (10.10) but not for lucid (10.04):
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-support/+bug/606578>
[Warnings on python-support while upgrade ]
Seems like python has some real issues...

Regarding your 'Failed to parse default value:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/817976>

Regarding the 'Setting locale failed' - are you still doing all of this
via ssh?
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/144235/locale-variables-have-no-effect-in-remote-shell-perl-warning-setting-locale-f>




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org