Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Dave Howorth

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

NoOp wrote:
> So you followed all of the suggestions in the bug report that I pointed
> you to:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-defaults/+bug/990740
> [upgrading from lucid to precise fails]
> including:
>
> <quote>
> If you didn't use update-manager (or do-release-upgrade from
> update-manager-core) to do your upgrade please do so next time instead
> of trying to upgrade with only apt. You'll get much better results.
>
> How to get past this:
> # apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
> # apt-get -f install
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> </quote>
>
> right?

Hi Noop,

Yes and no. I tried the first of those three steps and it failed. I've
also tried the second of those steps and it failed. So I haven't tried
the third step. I've tried variations of steps 1 (with and without dpkg
and apt) & 2 multiple times; step 1 currently returns:

> # apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
> update-manager-core: Depends: python2.7 but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: python (>= 2.7.1-0ubuntu2) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
> vim-gnome: Depends: vim-gui-common (= 2:7.3.429-2ubuntu2.1) but 2:7.2.330-1ubuntu3 is to be installed
> Depends: vim-common (= 2:7.3.429-2ubuntu2.1) but 2:7.2.330-1ubuntu3 is to be installed
> Depends: vim-runtime (= 2:7.3.429-2ubuntu2.1) but 2:7.2.330-1ubuntu3 is to be installed
> Depends: libperl5.14 (>= 5.14.2) but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: libpython2.7 (>= 2.7) but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: libruby1.8 (>= 1.8.7.352) but 1.8.7.249-2ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
> Depends: tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

The output from step2 is longer. I've attached the log from the latest
run to the bug report:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/31>

> BTW: I recommend that you do that from the recovery boot as root with
> networking. Otherwise, just make sure that you either use 'sudo' instead.

I'm not quite sure what your 'Otherwise' sentence means. I'm logged in
via ssh.

> And what other suggestions in that bug report did you try & what
> happened after you tried them?

I haven't tried changing repositories. I have tried running apt-get in
many variations. I've tried running dpkg --configure -a a couple of
times and the logs are attached to the bug report. I tried running
apport but it won't run. I think the safest path now is to work with
current evidence - I'll run any command you like and post the log.

It seems to be some dependency problem. I'm not skilled enough to
identify the root cause of that, or to know what commands I can use to
recover from it.

> Note: I see that you stated that this is a server for your boss & it
> seems be working. *Don't* attempt any of the following without first
> backing up the server. Provide the output of the following:
>
> $ uname -a

$ uname -a
Linux pcx36 2.6.32-42-generic #95-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 25 15:57:54 UTC
2012 i686 GNU/Linux

> Also, before attempting the upgrade you followed the release notes:
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_to_U buntu_12.04_LTS>
> and
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades>

I tried to follow the instructions in the second of those, which state
that the first is relevant until the point release has happened.

> 1. Describe as best you can remember the steps that you performed to do
> the upgrade.
> 2. Also, given that you are running a server with a graphical desktop
> (lxde), let us know if *prior* to the upgrade you did any of the
> following (note some are not mentioned in the release notes):
>
> a. sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
> b. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
> c. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
> d. sudo apt-get install -f
> e. sudo dpkg --configure -a

I don't remember doing any of those. According to shell history, I did:

449 ls /usr/share/doc/update-manager-text/
450 update-manager-text
451 update-manager-text
452 cls
453 clear
454 su - scop2-apache
455 top
456 crontab -e -u www-data
457 crontab -e -u www-data
458 top
459 do-release-upgrade
460 do-release-upgrade

I ran update-manager-text because I was trying to follow the
instructions mentioned above, but am not using the GUI. The scop2-apache
and crontab commands are irrelevant AFAIK. I was tuning some website
processing.

> Note: lxdm is nothing more than the lxde desktop manager; same as the
> gdm or lightdm login managers.
>
> Here is what I recommend (backup & the standard 'if you break it you pay
> for it' applies):

Yes, it's backed up every night, and the last good backup before the
upgrade is now set to be kept for a year.

> - create a root account:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#root_account>
> (don't forget to remove it when finished).

I have a root account already (sorry, I tried the ubuntu way but I'm
old-school).

OK I'll sign off and post this now. I'll try the detailed command
sequence you suggest below after lunch unless anybody intervenes in the
meantime.

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Roger

The pre release upgrade failed for me on 3 machines and I tried many times.
I had to manage the sources.list manually
roger

Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Roger