Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Ric Moore

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

On 09/05/2012 05:13 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:42:08AM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:30:02AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

Ric Moore wrote:

What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric

Actually, thanks for that question. It prompted me to look at the site
and it is running. Woohoo! That's the good news; sadly, it's supposed to
be rebuilt every night to reflect the day's work and the scripts that do
that are crashing as part of this upgrade foulup.

Have you ever pastebin'ed the full output of the following commands?

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Meanwhile I found the bug you originally filed (http://pad.lv/1045285)
and the log files attached (screenlog.0 is especially interesting).

The first error was

Setting up lxdm (0.4.1-0ubuntu6) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lxdm/Xsession ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/pam.d/lxdm ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/lxdm.conf ...
dpkg: error processing lxdm (--configure):
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
lxdm

It looks like the rest were just a cascade due to missing dependencies
caused by the aborted upgrade because of that first error.

First of all, what is a graphical display manager doing on a server?

I agree.
http://www.proxmox.com/ for the server install
then pick and chose the containers
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/
Canonical should be picking up on this. It's so dead easy. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:19:02AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > First of all, what is a graphical display manager doing on a server?
>
> It's not a real server it's a test machine. One of its functions is
> testing the website. The quid pro quo for my boss using a sometimes
> flaky site is that he gets useful information from it the rest of the
> time
>
> > I've added a comment to the bug in Launchpad asking for some additional
> > information that would be necessary to track this bug down. It would be
> > helpful for others if you could do what I asked there (edit the postinst
> > script to increase verbosity by using set -ex, then re-run dpkg
> > --configure -a and attach the output to the bug).
>
> I've done that and posted the output as requested.

Thank you! I think I've identified the bug and a possible fix. I've
added the lxdm package to the bug, let's see if the
maintainer/maintainers react.

> > Anyway, the quickest path to a fully functional machine would be to
> > sidestep the bug by removing the lxdm package:
> >
> > sudo apt-get remove lxdm
>
> Sadly apt-get seems to be one of the programs that has problems in the
> machine's current state. So it failed. I've attached the output of the
> command above to the bug report.

Oh, right, because of the dependencies. Of course. I should've
realized that, sorry!

Can try to fix the postinst script in place, like I suggested in my last
bug comment:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxdm/+bug/1045285/comments/28

after which you should be able to complete the upgrade with

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If that works, can you confirm that my suggested fix worked in that bug
conversation?

If that doesn't work, there's still the alternative approach of removing
the lxdm package altogether. Since apt-get remove is unhappy, you can
use the lower-level dpkg tool (which doesn't enforce package
dependencies) to remove lxdm instead:

sudo dpkg --remove lxdm

after which apt-get -f install *should* be able to fix the dependency
situation, and apt-get dist-upgrade should be able to complete the
upgrade.

> I'm not very familiar with the debian/ubuntu package system (for that
> matter, I try to be just a user of the rpm-based package systems on the
> other distros I use).

That's a very reasonable attitude, IMHO. The downside, of course, is
that you end up having to rely on random volunteers on the Internet to
solve any problems, or cash out for a support contract from Canonical or
some other support provider. ;-)

Marius Gedminas
--
Python 2.4.3 (#2, Apr 27 2006, 14:43:58)
>>> "abc".count("", 100)

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Dave Howorth

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> Anyway, the quickest path to a fully functional machine would be to
>>> sidestep the bug by removing the lxdm package:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get remove lxdm
>> Sadly apt-get seems to be one of the programs that has problems in the
>> machine's current state. So it failed. I've attached the output of the
>> command above to the bug report.
>
> Oh, right, because of the dependencies. Of course. I should've
> realized that, sorry!
>
> Can try to fix the postinst script in place, like I suggested in my last
> bug comment:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxdm/+bug/1045285/comments/28
>
> after which you should be able to complete the upgrade with
>
> sudo apt-get -f install

I made the change and I tried apt-get but it failed. I've attached the
log to the bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/30

Since it's now apparently producing python-related error messages
instead of lxdm-related ones, I've stopped there and am looking for
further guidance rather than going on to remove lxdm.

> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> If that works, can you confirm that my suggested fix worked in that bug
> conversation?
>
> If that doesn't work, there's still the alternative approach of removing
> the lxdm package altogether. Since apt-get remove is unhappy, you can
> use the lower-level dpkg tool (which doesn't enforce package
> dependencies) to remove lxdm instead:
>
> sudo dpkg --remove lxdm
[snip]

Old 09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Liviu Andronic

Hello
I've run into similar hell when upgrading from Lucid to Precise (and
essentially following the instructions and the release notes). My
issues are not dissimilar to the 'lxde' ones reported here, although
more serious.

Bottom line is that the upgrade botched up, 3.2.0 cannot be booted
fully ('mountall' fails) to a virtual console, and I can operate the
new Precise only from a chroot environment. For more info on this
particular case see my xubuntu-users post [1].
[1] http://www.mentby.com/Group/xubuntu-users/failure-to-upgrade-from-1004-to-12041.html

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> Have you ever pastebin'ed the full output of the following commands?
>
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Following your suggestions (and several others in this thread) here is
the output that I get:
cat /var/log/dist-upgrade/ : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187299/
dpkg --configure -a : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187465/
apt-get -fy install : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187482/
apt-get dist-upgrade : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187510/
dpkg --get-selections : http://paste.ubuntu.com/1187518/

Any ideas on how to deal with these errors? Regards
Liviu

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 AM
NoOp

On 09/04/2012 02:50 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I've opened a new one:
>>
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285>
>
> I'm new to the Ubuntu bug process, so I don't know what to expect. I
> created the bug and received a rapid request for all the logs. So I
> uploaded them and changed the status back to New. But now I've had no
> acknowledgment or anything and don't know whether that's normal, or I
> missed some procedural step or what. The machine that's down hosts a web
> site that my boss uses, so I'm a bit fretful

So you followed all of the suggestions in the bug report that I pointed
you to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-defaults/+bug/990740
[upgrading from lucid to precise fails]
including:

<quote>
If you didn't use update-manager (or do-release-upgrade from
update-manager-core) to do your upgrade please do so next time instead
of trying to upgrade with only apt. You'll get much better results.

How to get past this:
# apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
# apt-get -f install
# apt-get dist-upgrade
</quote>

right?

BTW: I recommend that you do that from the recovery boot as root with
networking. Otherwise, just make sure that you either use 'sudo' instead.

And what other suggestions in that bug report did you try & what
happened after you tried them?

Note: I see that you stated that this is a server for your boss & it
seems be working. *Don't* attempt any of the following without first
backing up the server. Provide the output of the following:

$ uname -a

Also, before attempting the upgrade you followed the release notes:
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_to_U buntu_12.04_LTS>
and
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades>

1. Describe as best you can remember the steps that you performed to do
the upgrade.
2. Also, given that you are running a server with a graphical desktop
(lxde), let us know if *prior* to the upgrade you did any of the
following (note some are not mentioned in the release notes):

a. sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
b. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
c. sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
d. sudo apt-get install -f
e. sudo dpkg --configure -a

Note: lxdm is nothing more than the lxde desktop manager; same as the
gdm or lightdm login managers.

Here is what I recommend (backup & the standard 'if you break it you pay
for it' applies):

- create a root account:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo#root_account>
(don't forget to remove it when finished).
- reboot & login with recovery mode
- enable network (can't recall the exact menu(s) as I need to reinstall
10.04 to detail but I'm pretty sure it's 'network') - select 'yes'
regarding a remount etc at the prompt.
- select 'root' & give your newly added root password
- Run through these commands in the exact order provided:

a. apt-get install update-manager-core
b. apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
c. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
d. apt-get install -- reinstall ubuntu-desktop lubuntu-desktop
Note: the 'lubuntu-desktop' is because you installed ldxe - you can
leave it off if you wish, but ensure that you 'install --reinstall
ubuntu-desktop'.)
e. apt-get -f install
f. dpkg --configure -a
Note: you many have to repeat these a few times to get things to work &
settle down. If they still continue to fail, go to 'f' & then 'e'.
f. apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
Note: up arrow a few times will get you back to this command
f. exit

This will return you to the recovery menu & the natural instinct is to
click 'resume'. That works, but returns you to a low graphics status at
the desktop gm; click it if you wish, but then reboot to get back to
actual desktop graphic settings.

Reboot & once back on the desktop (lxde?) if the above completed without
further errors, go back to the upgrade links & bring up the update
manager & try the upgrade again. If that still fails to work, use
http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/ to paste whatever ouput you can.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Dave Howorth

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Hello
> I've run into similar hell when upgrading from Lucid to Precise (and
> essentially following the instructions and the release notes). My
> issues are not dissimilar to the 'lxde' ones reported here, although
> more serious.
[snip]
> Any ideas on how to deal with these errors? Regards
> Liviu

Hi Livio

You have my great sympathy for your problems with the lucid->precise
upgrade. However, please do not post about your separate problem in this
thread. Please start your own thread. Otherwise there will be complete
confusion among you and me and everybody else trying to help about what
factors are relevant to my case and what are relevant to yours.

Thanks, Dave

Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Roger

Dear all
I am thinking that there is a wider problem here.

When we upgraded our machines from Lucid to Precise we had to make
manual changes to the /etc/apt/sources.list because for some reason the
upgrade did not make the correct alterations. There seemed to be a
conflict in the sources.list between Lucid and Precise repositories.
Thankfully ours refused to upgrade before the fixes so we did not
experience your problems.

Please don't quote me, but maybe this is what is happening.
I cannot remember the details but I do remember it took some time to do
on each machine and we had a copy of the relevant tutorial web page open
on a third machine running Fedora 16 from which we took the instructions.

We did not follow the Ubuntu Instructions or release notes, but found
another site, If I have it in history, I'll post it.

Roger

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 02:02:15PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > Dave Howorth wrote:

> >> Sadly apt-get seems to be one of the programs that has problems in the
> >> machine's current state. So it failed. I've attached the output of the
> >> command above to the bug report.
> >
> > Oh, right, because of the dependencies. Of course. I should've
> > realized that, sorry!
> >
> > Can try to fix the postinst script in place, like I suggested in my last
> > bug comment:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxdm/+bug/1045285/comments/28
> >
> > after which you should be able to complete the upgrade with
> >
> > sudo apt-get -f install
>
> I made the change and I tried apt-get but it failed. I've attached the
> log to the bug report.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/30
>
> Since it's now apparently producing python-related error messages
> instead of lxdm-related ones, I've stopped there and am looking for
> further guidance rather than going on to remove lxdm.

So, you've been lucky enough to trigger not one, but two bugs during the
upgrade. The first one (lxdm) is now out of the way, and you're now
staring at the second one (http://pad.lv/990740, looks like).

Yes, removing lxdm is not going to help here. Try the workaround
suggested on the other bug:

sudo apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Marius Gedminas
--
HOST SYSTEM NOT RESPONDING, PROBABLY DOWN. DO YOU WANT TO WAIT? (Y/N)

Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 18:50:05 +1000
Roger <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:

> We did not follow the Ubuntu Instructions or release notes, but
> found another site, If I have it in history, I'll post it.

why did you do that ? there is only one supported way to upgrade and
thats described in the ubuntu upgrade notes [1]... if you dont follow
that process you are pretty much on your own (other methods might
worrk but get neither tested in ubuntu QA nor are they supported).
what made you think following third party instructions might be better
than following the instructions of the people that develop the
software ?

ciao
oli

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseUpgrades

Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Dave Howorth

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> So, you've been lucky enough to trigger not one, but two bugs during the
> upgrade.

Yes. Is there any kind of bulk discount?

> The first one (lxdm) is now out of the way, and you're now
> staring at the second one (http://pad.lv/990740, looks like).

Well, it looks similar but ...

> Yes, removing lxdm is not going to help here. Try the workaround
> suggested on the other bug:
>
> sudo apt-get install -o APT::Immediate-Configure=false -f apt python-minimal
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That workaround doesn't work. I'll be sending more detail in reply to
Noop's earlier mail.