Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Dave Howorth

Default problems with 10.04 upgrade to 12.04

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Colin Law wrote:
>>> Another alternative is to re-install Ubuntu and restore data from
>>> your backups.
>> Indeed but I'm hoping I won't have to do that. I guess that what has
>> happened is fairly simple, if I only understood what it was, and so
>> the chances of a simple repair ought to be quite good.
>
> Well, maybe reinstalling is the faster option as it usually only takes
> something like hours and not days

Yes, but it opens all sorts of philosophical questions. It's my only
Ubuntu box, all the rest are openSUSE, and $work has lately standardised
on Scientific Linux, so maybe I should install one of those instead of
reinstalling Ubuntu ... but I like to have the choice.

> - after all, you mentioned some sort
> of urgency. OTOH, if it isn't really THAT urgent, could you send a list
> of installed packages? You can get it with the command
>
> dpkg --get-selections >packages.txt
>
> but don't attach the resulting file "packages.txt" to a reply because it
> is probably too large to be accepted by the list server. Instead either
> send it with private mail directly to me or, even better, post it e.g.
> at <http://paste.ubuntu.com/> and post the URL here. Then I could try
> the upgrade with the same packages used on your machine. Maybe I can
> then find out what happened.

Thanks for that.

I'm being dumb; I couldn't see how to upload a file to paste.ubuntu.com,
so I've attached it to my bug report. It's at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1045285/comments/24

Cheers, Dave

Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:44:27 +0200
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> some sort of urgency. OTOH, if it isn't really THAT urgent, could you
> send a list of installed packages? You can get it with the command
>
> dpkg --get-selections >packages.txt

> either send it with private mail directly to me or, even better, post
> it e.g. at <http://paste.ubuntu.com/> and post the URL here.

here is a little shortcut tip for the next time:

sudo apt-get install pastebinit
dpkg --get-selections | pastebinit

that will automagically submit the output of dpkg --get-selections to
paste.ubuntu.com and return the url of the paste in the terminal

pastebinit also accepts a file instead of piping input to it like:

pastebinit packages.txt

ciao
oli

Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Dave Howorth

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> here is a little shortcut tip for the next time:
>
> sudo apt-get install pastebinit
> dpkg --get-selections | pastebinit
>
> that will automagically submit the output of dpkg --get-selections to
> paste.ubuntu.com and return the url of the paste in the terminal
>
> pastebinit also accepts a file instead of piping input to it like:
>
> pastebinit packages.txt

Excellent, thanks. I'll make a note of that. If I ever get back to a
state where apt-get will run, I'll even try it

Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Ric Moore

site that my boss uses, so I'm a bit fretful

What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Dave Howorth

Ric Moore wrote:
> On 09/04/2012 05:50 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> . The machine that's down hosts a web
>> site that my boss uses, so I'm a bit fretful
> What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric

Just straightforward HTML/CSS served by Apache.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Dave Howorth

Ric Moore wrote:
> What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric

Actually, thanks for that question. It prompted me to look at the site
and it is running. Woohoo! That's the good news; sadly, it's supposed to
be rebuilt every night to reflect the day's work and the scripts that do
that are crashing as part of this upgrade foulup.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:30:02AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric
>
> Actually, thanks for that question. It prompted me to look at the site
> and it is running. Woohoo! That's the good news; sadly, it's supposed to
> be rebuilt every night to reflect the day's work and the scripts that do
> that are crashing as part of this upgrade foulup.

Have you ever pastebin'ed the full output of the following commands?

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You may want to change the terminal settings (for GNOME Terminal: Edit ->
Profile Preferences -> Scrolling -> Scrollback: [x] Unlimited) so you
don't lose the beginning of the output.

Marius Gedminas
--
This sentence does in fact not have the property it claims not to have.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:42:08AM +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:30:02AM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> > > What website are you running?? Drupal? WordPress? Or something custom? Ric
> >
> > Actually, thanks for that question. It prompted me to look at the site
> > and it is running. Woohoo! That's the good news; sadly, it's supposed to
> > be rebuilt every night to reflect the day's work and the scripts that do
> > that are crashing as part of this upgrade foulup.
>
> Have you ever pastebin'ed the full output of the following commands?
>
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
> sudo apt-get -f install
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Meanwhile I found the bug you originally filed (http://pad.lv/1045285)
and the log files attached (screenlog.0 is especially interesting).

The first error was

Setting up lxdm (0.4.1-0ubuntu6) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lxdm/Xsession ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/pam.d/lxdm ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/lxdm.conf ...
dpkg: error processing lxdm (--configure):
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
lxdm

It looks like the rest were just a cascade due to missing dependencies
caused by the aborted upgrade because of that first error.

First of all, what is a graphical display manager doing on a server?

Second, no wonder the workaround of disabling dpkg preconfiguration
didn't help, because your problem is totally unrelated to that other
one.

I've added a comment to the bug in Launchpad asking for some additional
information that would be necessary to track this bug down. It would be
helpful for others if you could do what I asked there (edit the postinst
script to increase verbosity by using set -ex, then re-run dpkg
--configure -a and attach the output to the bug).

Anyway, the quickest path to a fully functional machine would be to
sidestep the bug by removing the lxdm package:

sudo apt-get remove lxdm

followed by the usual

sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(If you attempt this and get any errors, please pastebin the full
output.)

Marius Gedminas
--
Stupidity management for the superuser is a user space issue in Unix
systems.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Ric Moore