Old 08-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Tim Hanson

Default changing a drive

When I installed 10.04 a couple of years ago, I set a usb drive as my home
directory, so that when I boot the laptop I get an error message (with an offer
to wait until the drive is connected) if I haven't plugged it in. It has been
working fine all this time.

Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy /home. I am
accustomed to another distro that has a graphical partition manager which gets
the UUID set up properly and takes care of all the details. I have seen the
disk utility provided with Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where
do I find it?

Old 08-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Nils Kassube

Tim Hanson wrote:
> Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
> /home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
> partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
> of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
> Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?

Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the job.

Nils

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Ric Moore

Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
/home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?

Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the job.

I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass knuckles.
Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart? Thanx! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 24 August 2012 04:39:01 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 08/24/2012 01:36 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Tim Hanson wrote:
> >> Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
> >> /home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
> >> partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
> >> of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
> >> Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?
> >
> > Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the
> > job.
>
> I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass knuckles.
> Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart? Thanx! Ric

I always use it, its the one disk tool that has never lied to me.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Two wrongs are only the beginning.
-- Kohn

Old 08-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Robert Holtzm

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 03:58:26AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 01:36 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> >Tim Hanson wrote:
> >>Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
> >>/home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
> >>partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
> >>of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
> >>Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?
> >
> >Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the job.
>
> I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass
> knuckles. Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart?

Expand on what you mean by "brass knuckles". I think I'm older and
fartyer (look ma, I invented a word) than you and gparted is a breeze.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Colin Law

On 24 August 2012 05:52, Tim Hanson <tjhanson@yahoo.com> wrote:
> When I installed 10.04 a couple of years ago, I set a usb drive as my home
> directory, so that when I boot the laptop I get an error message (with an offer
> to wait until the drive is connected) if I haven't plugged it in. It has been
> working fine all this time.
>
> Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy /home. I am
> accustomed to another distro that has a graphical partition manager which gets
> the UUID set up properly and takes care of all the details. I have seen the
> disk utility provided with Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where
> do I find it?

Unless I misunderstand exactly what you are trying to do, if you can
plug in both drives at the same time and boot from the ubuntu live CD
you could then use dd to make an exact copy of the first drive onto
the new one. Then remove the old one and check you can boot as normal
and access the new drive. Assuming it is ok then boot from the live
CD again and run gparted to expand the partition size to take up the
full disk. just make sure when you do the dd that you copy the right
way, and obviously make sure you have a backup of it first. Ask again
if you want to try this but need more detail.

Colin

Old 08-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Ric Moore

On Friday 24 August 2012 04:39:01 Ric Moore did opine:

Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
/home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?

Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the
job.

I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass knuckles.
Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart? Thanx! Ric

I always use it, its the one disk tool that has never lied to me.

On my server box, running Proxmox which is Debian-server based, I had
two IDE drives, one master and the other slave for data. Then I just
installed a 500 GIG SATA drive, formatted with the very same proxmox
install. So the NEW master has sda2 (sda1=boot) as an LVM volume named
"pve". So does the old master IDE drive. Since the label is the same,
how do I mount the old IDE master drive LVM partition (/dev/sdb2) named
"pve" to the new SATA drive (/dev/sda2) to say the /opt directory,
command line style?? This is a headless server so I'm using ssh to
access it.

I've never had to dink with LVM before. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Ric Moore

Now I have a new, larger usb drive on which I would like to copy
/home. I am accustomed to another distro that has a graphical
partition manager which gets the UUID set up properly and takes care
of all the details. I have seen the disk utility provided with
Ubuntu and I don't see a partition manager. Where do I find it?

Try gparted (ftom the package with the same name), it should do the job.

I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass
knuckles. Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart?

Expand on what you mean by "brass knuckles". I think I'm older and
fartyer (look ma, I invented a word) than you and gparted is a breeze.

Something like vi I would consider brass knuckles. You know, like a
crude tool that has utility but lacks many amenities other than the
ability to break a jaw. Once you USE vi, it's usefulness becomes more
apparent than you would see at the get go. pico has amenities that are
more apparent from the get-go. That's the diff. So, if there was
something with a better ascii front-end than gparted, it would be better
for someone who has never dinked with LVM, like me. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM
Colin Law

On 25 August 2012 02:22, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/24/2012 04:40 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I was about to ask the same question. gparted is kinda brass knuckles.
>>> Is there something a little bit "kinder" for an old fart? Thanx! Ric
>>

>> I always use it, its the one disk tool that has never lied to me.
>

> On my server box, running Proxmox which is Debian-server based, I had two
> IDE drives, one master and the other slave for data. Then I just installed a
> 500 GIG SATA drive, formatted with the very same proxmox install. So the NEW
> master has sda2 (sda1=boot) as an LVM volume named "pve". So does the old
> master IDE drive. Since the label is the same, how do I mount the old IDE
> master drive LVM partition (/dev/sdb2) named "pve" to the new SATA drive
> (/dev/sda2) to say the /opt directory, command line style?? This is a
> headless server so I'm using ssh to access it.
>
> I've never had to dink with LVM before. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. Ric

Ric, should you not start a new thread for this? it does not seem to
be much related to the OP's question.

Colin

Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I changed a drive. And some of the suggestions to use dd might be the
answer. I just want to make sure I identify the drives properly. But,
they both have the same name. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html