Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Colin Law

Default changing a drive

On 25 August 2012 07:45, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/25/2012 02:17 AM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> On my server box, running Proxmox which is Debian-server based, I had two
>>> IDE drives, one master and the other slave for data. Then I just
>>> installed a
>>> 500 GIG SATA drive, formatted with the very same proxmox install. So the
>>> NEW
>>> master has sda2 (sda1=boot) as an LVM volume named "pve". So does the old
>>> master IDE drive. Since the label is the same, how do I mount the old IDE
>>> master drive LVM partition (/dev/sdb2) named "pve" to the new SATA drive
>>> (/dev/sda2) to say the /opt directory, command line style?? This is a
>>> headless server so I'm using ssh to access it.
>>>
>>> I've never had to dink with LVM before. Any help would be greatly
>>> appreciated. Ric
>>

>> Ric, should you not start a new thread for this? it does not seem to
>> be much related to the OP's question.
>

> I changed a drive. And some of the suggestions to use dd might be the
> answer. I just want to make sure I identify the drives properly. But, they
> both have the same name. Ric

Use the UUID in fstab rather than the label. Or change one of the
labels I suppose.

Colin

Old 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Avi Greenbury

Ric Moore wrote:

> On my server box, running Proxmox which is Debian-server based, I had
> two IDE drives, one master and the other slave for data. Then I just
> installed a 500 GIG SATA drive, formatted with the very same proxmox
> install. So the NEW master has sda2 (sda1=boot) as an LVM volume
> named "pve". So does the old master IDE drive. Since the label is the
> same, how do I mount the old IDE master drive LVM partition
> (/dev/sdb2) named "pve" to the new SATA drive (/dev/sda2) to say
> the /opt directory, command line style?? This is a headless server so
> I'm using ssh to access it.

This probably deserving of a thread all to itself, but from what I
understand, you have two disks, each with LVM, with distinct VGs. You
might do better to use the LVM names for these things - you cannot, for
example, 'mount' anything LVM related except for an LV, but normally an
'LVM partition' means a partition used as an LVM PV - to avoid
confusion here.

Anyway, what I'd do in what I think is your position is put one of the
drives (presumably the old one) in a machine and rename the VG (with
vgrename) before putting it back. What is the output of vgdisplay and
of pvdisplay ?

--
Avi

Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Avi Greenbury

Ric Moore wrote:

> Something like vi I would consider brass knuckles. You know, like a
> crude tool that has utility but lacks many amenities other than the
> ability to break a jaw. Once you USE vi, it's usefulness becomes more
> apparent than you would see at the get go. pico has amenities that
> are more apparent from the get-go. That's the diff. So, if there was
> something with a better ascii front-end than gparted, it would be
> better for someone who has never dinked with LVM, like me. Ric

Do you mean gparted or parted? gparted is a GUI tool using GTK, parted a
terminal one. The two have completely different interfaces; it's not
even that parted is a console version of Gparted or vice versa.

For a partition editor to run in a shell I tend to use cfdisk. It's a
little clunky, but is pretty gparted-like and easy to see what's going
on.

--
Avi