Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Thufir

Default no java tools in apt-get

Why is that whenever I want to do something with Java, I have to muck
about with path and installing stuff manually. Is it just that no one
wants, particularly, to manage java tools?

I don't mean the JDK or JVM itself, I mean third-party JAR's from
apache.org or other folks. Netbeans, derby, etc.

Am I the only one in the world who finds path stuff baffling?

-Thufir

Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Thufir

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 16:03:09 -0700, Thufir wrote:

> Why is that whenever I want to do something with Java, I have to muck
> about with path and installing stuff manually. Is it just that no one
> wants, particularly, to manage java tools?

Ok, well I just couldn't find:

root@dur:~/apache-james-3.0-beta4/var/store/derby#
root@dur:~/apache-james-3.0-beta4/var/store/derby# aptitude search javadb
p sun-javadb-client - Java DB
client
p sun-javadb-common - Java DB common
files
p sun-javadb-core - Java DB
core
p sun-javadb-demo - Java DB
demo
p sun-javadb-doc - Java DB
documentation
p sun-javadb-javadoc - Java DB
javadoc
root@dur:~/apache-james-3.0-beta4/var/store/derby#
root@dur:~/apache-james-3.0-beta4/var/store/derby# aptitude search derby
root@dur:~/apache-james-3.0-beta4/var/store/derby#

gee, that would saved me lotsa time if search showed under "derby". Not
sure how you're supposed to know ahead of time that it's not derby but
javadb. Anyhow.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Ric Moore