Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Jose I Diaz Bardales

Default Filters on Thunderbird

Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 PM
"Jeff G."

On 08/23/2012 11:43 AM, Jose I Diaz Bardales wrote:

Besides the mailing list ubuntu-users, I am also subscribed to
xubuntu-users mailing list.

So inside my in-box I created two folders

don't know about today, but used to be a bad idea to create sub-folders
within the Inbox using Tbird. You might consider leaving Inbox alone.

one for each individual
mailing list and created some filters to have all ubuntu messages
deliver to the ubuntu folder and all xubuntu messages deliver to the
xubuntu folder. But the problem is that I'm getting all messages in
the ubuntu folder.

I'd guess Ubuntu gets hit 1st before any xubuntu checks, therefore never
getting to xubuntu - I'd try something simpler, like not having Ubuntu
and xubuntu within the same rule.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Avi Greenbury

Jose I Diaz Bardales wrote:
> The rules that I have on my the filter for xubuntu messages are:
> - -To or Cc contains xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> - -Subject contains [xubuntu-users]

What's the rule for ubuntu messages? the string
'xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com' contains the string
'ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com', so if you've the ubuntu rule running
before the xubuntu one, all xubuntu messages will go into the ubuntu
folder.

You could try either reversing the order, or add an requirement to the
ubuntu filter that it does not match xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

--
Avi

Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Robert Holtzm

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:43:53PM -0400, Jose I Diaz Bardales wrote:

> Greetings Ubuntu Community!
>
> Besides the mailing list ubuntu-users, I am also subscribed to
> xubuntu-users mailing list.
>
> So inside my in-box I created two folders one for each individual
> mailing list and created some filters to have all ubuntu messages
> deliver to the ubuntu folder and all xubuntu messages deliver to the
> xubuntu folder. But the problem is that I'm getting all messages in
> the ubuntu folder.
>
> The rules that I have on my the filter for xubuntu messages are:
> - -To or Cc contains xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> - -Subject contains [xubuntu-users]
>
> I am using Xbuntu 12.04 and Thunderbird 14.0

Try procmail. A moderately steep learning curve but much more flexible.
It's in the repos. Also see
http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs for the quick start.

--
Bob Holtzman