Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Ric Moore

Default Firefox stalling, ...again

This is making me crazy. Anyone else experiencing it stall? I've got 16
gigs of memory, so when it's not loading from the net, the darn thing
should be right. no prob with Chrome. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Avi Greenbury

Ric Moore wrote:

> This is making me crazy. Anyone else experiencing it stall? I've got
> 16 gigs of memory, so when it's not loading from the net, the darn
> thing should be right. no prob with Chrome. Ric

It's going to be difficult to offer any help without a better idea of
what's going on here. Good things to try, though, include disabling
JavaScript and disabling add-ons. Modern Firefox seems to be actually
rather well-behaved, and I've found recently that it's the add-ons that
cause the problems[0]; since disabling all my add-ons at work I'm back
to several-day long Firefox sessions, rather than having it crash a
couple of times a day.

If you experience the same problems with no add-ons enabled then it's a
problem in firefox. In that case it'd be worth running firefox from a
terminal and checking what's printed when it hangs; it would also be
worth asking more Firefox-specific people for pointers on extracting
diagnostics. If the problem goes away with the add-ons, I'm afraid it's
a rather tedious process of elimination to work out which add-on (or
combination of add-ons) causes the problems, and then you'd want to
file a bug with that developer.

--
Avi

[0] There is a case to be made that they shouldn't be able to, but
here's not really the place for that.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 19 August 2012 21:18:03 Ric Moore did opine:

> This is making me crazy. Anyone else experiencing it stall? I've got 16
> gigs of memory, so when it's not loading from the net, the darn thing
> should be right. no prob with Chrome. Ric

I'm having some site stalls out here in the toules, but FF is always ready
to load the next site that has a big enough pipe over the whole path.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The worst part of having success is trying to find someone who is happy for
you.
-- Bette Midler

Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Thanks! I was just trying to narrow down the problem to see if anyone
else shared the same effect. What seems to have made it work better is
to uncheck video hardware acceleration in favor of smooth scrolling, in
the setup. Then, after attempting to restart, a youtube video was being
persistent, even though I had exited Firefox. But, it happens. It sure
doesn't seem to keep much in cache anymore either. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Ric Moore

On Sunday 19 August 2012 21:18:03 Ric Moore did opine:

This is making me crazy. Anyone else experiencing it stall? I've got 16
gigs of memory, so when it's not loading from the net, the darn thing
should be right. no prob with Chrome. Ric

I'm having some site stalls out here in the toules, but FF is always ready
to load the next site that has a big enough pipe over the whole path.

This was stalling when all the net activity was done loading the page.
When I scrolled down the page, it would freeze ...just long enough to
make me crazy. So, I figured a shout would be appropriate before I
started filing a bug. Thanks Gene ... Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Gene Heskett

On Monday 20 August 2012 03:56:07 Ric Moore did opine:

> On 08/19/2012 09:19 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 August 2012 21:18:03 Ric Moore did opine:
> >> This is making me crazy. Anyone else experiencing it stall? I've got
> >> 16 gigs of memory, so when it's not loading from the net, the darn
> >> thing should be right. no prob with Chrome. Ric
> >
> > I'm having some site stalls out here in the toules, but FF is always
> > ready to load the next site that has a big enough pipe over the whole
> > path.
>
> This was stalling when all the net activity was done loading the page.
> When I scrolled down the page, it would freeze ...just long enough to
> make me crazy. So, I figured a shout would be appropriate before I
> started filing a bug. Thanks Gene ... Ric

Now that I AM seeing. I think FF is busy doing background rendering of
stuff off screen to the bottom since (heavens forbid) nobody puts the
damned story, or in some cases not even the headline, high enough on the
page that its visible when the page loads. Now that IS a PIMA. And
aggravating. Since they track you, I have been known to spoil their fun by
clicking on another link and going on as a means of sending a message.
I've also been known to hit the reload key 200 times when cbs wants to show
me a slide where a video is supposed to be. Scroooooom. Yeah, I have an
attitude about that sort of thing for the simple reason it doesn't have to
be that way. In any event, I'm not sharpening my fingers at FF, but at the
web composers taking orders from advertising execs who don't care how
pissed the viewer is as long as he gets a click on the commercial. And I
miss a lot of stories because the damned commercial is 40 db louder than
the story audio.

There, I feel better.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)