Old 08-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Liam Proven

Default Will I encounter problems installing? (Grub, Debian, Windows)

On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

Should work fine.

The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's - will take
over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.

You can share a swap partition, no problem, and if you have a separate
/home partition for Debian then you can just use a different username
and share the same /home filesystem between the 2 distros as well.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Colin Law

On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

From the live cd Install dialog select Something Else when it asks
where to install, then you can select to install over the top of the
Debian partition if that is what you want.

As always when doing anything like this make sure your backups are up
to date of course.

Colin

Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Liam Proven

On 19 August 2012 13:56, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>
> From the live cd Install dialog select Something Else when it asks
> where to install, then you can select to install over the top of the
> Debian partition if that is what you want.
>
> As always when doing anything like this make sure your backups are up
> to date of course.

Excellent advice. I ought to have said similar. ;¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Gary

Liam Proven wrote:

> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>
> Should work fine.
>
> The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's* - will take
> over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
> Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.

Well I'm more concerned about the Windows partition(s) being picked up by the new GRUB to be honest, because I don't know how it is automatically set up when installing. Mine isn't a normal case, and I just want to be sure I don't get bitten by some odd use case that the developers hadn't thought of.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Gary

Colin Law wrote:

> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>
> From the live cd Install dialog select Something Else when it asks
> where to install, then you can select to install over the top of the
> Debian partition if that is what you want.

Many thanks.

> As always when doing anything like this make sure your backups are up
> to date of course.

Yeah. Can you (or anyone else) recommend something that will do that. Not individual operating systems, I have recent backups, but perhaps of something that will do the entire HD? Then if the worst happens, I can just restore the whole disc to its current state.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Liam Proven

On 19 August 2012 18:14, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>
>> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> > I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Should work fine.
>>
>> The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's - will take
>> over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
>> Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.
>
> Well I'm more concerned about the Windows partition(s) being picked up by the new GRUB to be honest, because I don't know how it is automatically set up when installing. Mine isn't a normal case, and I just want to be sure I don't get bitten by some odd use case that the developers hadn't thought of.

It's fine. It's a perfectly normal case and I have 3 or 4 PCs with
both DOS or Windows and 2, 3 or 4 Linux distros installed.

GRUB scans through all the partitions and bootsectors that it can and
puts all bootable OSs it can find into its menu.

I have found it to be unable to detect or add FreeBSD and PC-BSD, but
as long as you're talking just MS and Linux, you'll be fine.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Liam Proven

On 19 August 2012 18:17, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Yeah. Can you (or anyone else) recommend something that will do that. Not individual operating systems, I have recent backups, but perhaps of something that will do the entire HD? Then if the worst happens, I can just restore the whole disc to its current state.

Clonezilla.

Also, G4L and other tools, but Clonezilla is the best I've found.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Ric Moore

I'<bows with a flourish> m looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64
bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual
boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I
would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep
Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I
need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do?
Thanks in advance.

Make backups of personal files and install fresh, if possible. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Ric Moore

I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.

Should work fine.

The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's - will take
over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.

You can share a swap partition, no problem, and if you have a separate
/home partition for Debian then you can just use a different username
and share the same /home filesystem between the 2 distros as well.

What about the dot-config files?? I think that would go bust. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Liam Proven

On 19 August 2012 21:17, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/19/2012 08:43 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> On 19 August 2012 13:20, Gary <listgj-ubuntu@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm looking at installing Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit), but I already have
>>> Debian and MS Windows installations (dual boot, GRUB bootloader) on the
>>> system. I'm quite happy to (actually I would like to) kill off the Debian
>>> installation, but need to keep Windows. If I do a standard Ubuntu install
>>> will I get problems? If I need to do something special to avoid any
>>> problems, what should I do? Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Should work fine.
>>
>> The newest, i.e. most-recently-installed, GRUB - Ubuntu's - will take
>> over managing the boot sequence. Debian's will be inactivated but
>> Debian's GRUB menu entries will be added into Ubuntu's boot menu.
>>
>> You can share a swap partition, no problem, and if you have a separate
>> /home partition for Debian then you can just use a different username
>> and share the same /home filesystem between the 2 distros as well.
>
> What about the dot-config files?? I think that would go bust. Ric

No, like I said, *if you use a separate username* then no worries.

On my machines, one distro uses /home/lproven and the other uses
/home/liam. If there's a third then it's /home/liamproven or
/home/liam11 or something. No problem at all.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884